Do you like to be alone when you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Ellie_D
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellie-d.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Re: Do you like to be alone when you write?

Post by Ellie_D » 12 Mar 2019, 18:42

Of course that way i am more productive and i have better ideas, if i have someone around me it distracts me.

Choine
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Currently Reading: The Red Pyramid
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine » 14 Mar 2019, 18:32

I usually like to be by myself in a quiet area. I get too distracted with noise and I tend to people-watch so I don't like to have anyone around while I'm writing.

finebunchofnothing
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading: The Bookshop
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-finebunchofnothing.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by finebunchofnothing » 15 Mar 2019, 12:27

I feel that when I have a brilliant idea and the inspiration to turn this idea into something (moderately) great, I don't care what is happening around me; all I care about is the idea and the process of writing. However, sometimes I need my full concentration in order to be able to write. In these cases, I most certainly would prefer to be alone.
And our dreams will break the boundaries of our fear

jgrimshaw
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgrimshaw.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by jgrimshaw » 17 Mar 2019, 14:33

Depends if it’s academic writing or creative writing. If it’s an academic piece I have to be alone and I struggle with getting words out when writing in class. But if it’s a creative piece, I can write anywhere at anytime. But I mostly prefer to be alone in my room at night with my cats.
"Meow meow." - My cats :animals-cat:

jahagen
2019 Reading Goal: 55
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: A Feast for Crows
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by jahagen » Yesterday, 14:28

It depends on what is happening in my environment and who I'm with. I know for a fact that I cannot write if I'm with my family because they're too inconsistent in their activities and extremely distracting and talkative. I've found that I can write with my boyfriend in the room with me, as long as he's gaming with headphones on because any noises he makes are random and quiet enough that they don't disturb me.
If I am completely alone, I have to listen to some type of instrumental music or soundtracks (without lyrics) because complete silence gets to be a bit overbearing. But I can't have the TV on in the background or have music with lyrics because the words distract me too much.
To my surprise, I've also found that I can write fairly well in places like Starbucks (as long as conversation is generally evenly placed), because it's a decent amount of ambient noise without anything demanding my attention.

Return to “Writing Discussion”