What Genre Do You Think Will Be Most Popular this 2019?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
russel_ruth
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 21

What Genre Do You Think Will Be Most Popular this 2019?

Post by russel_ruth » 17 Nov 2018, 19:41

Of course we always have romance as one of the most popular genre, and there are a lot of sub-genres under it like secret pregnancy, love triangles and such... what do you think would be popular this 2019? Or would another genre be more sought after?

ChaosofaMadHatter
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chaosofamadhatter.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby

Post by ChaosofaMadHatter » 18 Jan 2019, 19:29

I have a feeling that post apocalyptic will see another surge, and likely a surge in realistic fantasy. Post apocalyptic due to the extremist notions that are becoming more pervasive in every day life, especially on the political level, and the realistic fantasy because as things get drearier in the real world, more people will look for books that tweak reality just enough to make it seem hopeful.

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
Favorite Book: How to Claim an Undead Soul
Currently Reading: The Raptor & the Wren
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Letora » 31 Jan 2019, 21:11

Romance is always going to be popular, I agree with you there! I think graphic novels and comic books will be another one due to the increased interest in Marvel and DC movies. There's also a surge in popularity with fantasy based TV shows, and I can see that genre becoming more popular.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

russel_ruth
Currently Reading: Happy Healing

Post by russel_ruth » 09 Feb 2019, 00:06

ChaosofaMadHatter wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 19:29
I have a feeling that post apocalyptic will see another surge, and likely a surge in realistic fantasy. Post apocalyptic due to the extremist notions that are becoming more pervasive in every day life, especially on the political level, and the realistic fantasy because as things get drearier in the real world, more people will look for books that tweak reality just enough to make it seem hopeful.
Ahh, that seems right to me, as someone who reads for escape. Thank you very much for your notion!

Zora C Penter
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: Will of The Hill
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Zora C Penter » 12 Feb 2019, 15:59

ChaosofaMadHatter wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 19:29
I agree! I do think that the larger dystopian or bleak science fiction might push through. We also tend to see upticks in those books being written and sold as major elections (i.e. presidential elections) get closer.

Return to “Writing Discussion”