Are you only an 'official' Writer when you get published?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Carmel Bachelor
Currently Reading: Their Eyes were watching God
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carmel-bachelor.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Are you only an 'official' Writer when you get published?

Post by Carmel Bachelor »

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and really want to know what other people think. So I've been working on my first book for about 2 years now and I'm about halfway through it. Its been a veryyy long process as I kept changing characters and plot points and sub-plots etc, and also running into my fair share of writers block.

My book isn't something I advertise to my friends and family, its very much my 'personal project' right now, and I feel like I can't call it more than that because If my friends/family ask about it, I always get two responses, or two phrases they always throw at me. Either 'Your book is gonna be awesome, you've always been a natural writer!' or 'When it gets published, you can finally call yourself a writer!'

Any thoughts on this? Are you a writer because you love writing, or are you a writer because you're published? :eusa-think:
Vendlyss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vendlyss.html
Latest Review: The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Post by Vendlyss »

I feel that you are a writer, because you love writing. I'm in the same boat. I have been working on the same book on or off for the last six years. When it is finally finished, I know I'll have a great sense of accomplishment. However, if I can't get it published, I don't feel that diminishes the journey it took to get there. I've been writing all of my life. I still consider myself a writer even though I'm not published yet. It's my love and passion.
Mekkinism
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mekkinism.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Mekkinism »

I believe there's only one real criteria to be a writer and it's this: writers write. As long as you are engaging in the act of writing, you are a writer. I think people who aren't writers sometimes get it into their head that writing is easy in that "I'll eventually get around to writing my own book" kind of way. Like just because they can pen a Facebook status, they could write a novel if they really ever just put their mind to it. But I think it's worth acknowledging to yourself that what you are doing, writing consistently over a long period of time and not giving up on your project, is much more than most people do. The difference between aspiring writers and actual writers is the actual writing. I mean, you wouldn't wait until you were an endorsed athlete to call yourself a runner, or wait until you were paid to read books (the dream!) to call yourself a reader. Why should writing be any different?
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I would say that you are a writer if you write and an author if you’ve been published.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by TashaCrispin »

You started being a writer the moment you fell in love with writing. Even before you started writing that book 2 years ago. After publishing, you'll be recognized as an author who created the idea in the book and a writer too because you wrote the book.

Being a writer comes way before anyone recognizes your work.
Mana_Hale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mana-hale.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Mana_Hale »

Personally, I feel there is a definite distinction between those who "write" and those who are "writers." People who just write as a little side hobby and don't seriously pursue and think about writing every moment of every day don't necessarily in my opinion count as writers. As an editor I can see the difference in people almost immediately - those who are writers are too busy writing to care about whether they are one, whereas those who aren't writers are often the ones most desperate to be identified as writers, and writers are much more able to take constructive criticism than those who just write for themselves.

It's more a mindset and lifestyle than whether you've published anything yet.
Zilelabelle
Currently Reading: Dragonfriend
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilelabelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by Zilelabelle »

My opinion is that you are a writer if you can't stop doing it. I love writing, I've done it since I can remember. I get lost inside stories of my own making more often than I do anything else. Having outside validation is nice, but it doesn't make me any more or less of a writer. I think that it's what you believe you are that counts, not what everyone else does.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

No.
I've called myself a writer long before I was published. I don't care what people think too much about my writing though, so I was never waiting for their approval to become a writer.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Anyone who writes can be called as a writer, no need to publish anything. But to announce it officially, I think there has to be some recognition and for that publishing is important
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
JazmynElizabeth
Favorite Author: Martina Cole
Currently Reading: If I Should Die
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazmynelizabeth.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
fav_author_id: 10914

Post by JazmynElizabeth »

You're a writer if you are a good writer - if you love writing but suck you're not a writer. You're an author if you're published.
Who needs friends when you can have daddy issues and a huge home library?
johany
Favorite Author: uche okpala
Currently Reading: Butternut to Bionic: A Resource Guide for Hip Replacement Surgery
Bookshelf Size: 61
fav_author_id: 162741

Post by johany »

good day i have stories and want them published so how does it happen
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

As Billy Crystal said in Throw Mama From the Train , "A writer writes. Always."

You're a writer if you are always writing, regardless of publication. You're an author if you ever had anything published.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

palilogy wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 12:51 No.
I've called myself a writer long before I was published. I don't care what people think too much about my writing though, so I was never waiting for their approval to become a writer.
Well said. :greetings-clappingyellow: :greetings-clappingyellow: :greetings-clappingyellow: :greetings-clappingyellow:
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I feel that if you love what you're writing then you're a writer. Even if you are not officially validated by having your work published, the fact that you spent your own time and energy to formulate your thoughts onto paper means something.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D

Return to “Writing Discussion”