4 stars - excellent, amazing
37%

Total votes: 121

Phoebe Moon
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoebe-moon.html

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of Inferno

Post by Phoebe Moon »

claire mckay wrote:I read the book a couple of months ago and did mean to investigate the subject a bit more as it is certainly a scary proposition but then I never got around to it. I wasn't sure how true all the facts and figures were or if they'd been exaggerated slightly for dramatic effect as I remember when Da Vinci Code came out that some of it is true and some had used a bit of artistic licence. Has anyone else looked into it?
Hi Claire

I know this is an old post and I'm unsure if anyone else has replied as I haven't read the whole thread.

The facts in the book regarding population growth are 100% accurate. The graph he uses is the official World Health Organisation graph. Exponential mathematics, which he uses to explain how population is growing, is also real. Scary but true.
FAHenfrey
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahenfrey.html
Latest Review: "False Vacuum" by John Macgregor

Post by FAHenfrey »

I found this book another solid Dan Brown book that passed some enjoyable time by the beach on holidays. However I find that these books are getting a little predictable and formulaic which is why I only gave it a 2 out of 4. This book features Robert Langdon and his latest female assistant trying to solve an series of riddles hidden in ancient symbology in the hopes of stoping a terrible plot and I have de ja vu already. It did however manage to redeem itself somewhat with the incomplete nature if it's ending which gives me a little hope for future novels written in this series (which I have a feeling will continue till absolutely no one reads them anymore)
Latest Review: "False Vacuum" by John Macgregor
Phoebe Moon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoebe-moon.html

Post by Phoebe Moon »

What I wondered was, if he wanted to ensure his virus was released, why did he put it in a bag in some Italian city and then leave clues as to it's whereabouts?
lizj97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizj97.html

Post by lizj97 »

I really enjoyed "Inferno" and give it 4 stars. I had no trouble getting into it or staying with the story. It is driven and powerful. A must read in my opinion.
moozie

Post by moozie »

Dan Brown is amazing. Inferno was awesome. I give it a 3/4 :twisted:
You can tell he puts in a lot of time and research into his books. well done. :P
Tincup13

Post by Tincup13 »

Another great effort by Dan Brown. I always seem to learn alot about art and history (2 subjects that I really don't care alot about). Another exciting story line that kept me guessing where we would go next. I would highly recommend Inferno!!!
elak02
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elak02.html

Post by elak02 »

I enjoyed Dan Brown's "Inferno" very much. I have read his previous books, and I was pleased to see that this book was a big improvement over the last one. I would give it 4 out of 4 stars. I thought the ending was not predictable, and I was pleasantly surprised by that. Overall, it's a good read, and I highly recommend it.
Sweet_Lullaby
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-lullaby.html
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy

Post by Sweet_Lullaby »

Dan Brown's books are always so cool, and this one I would really recommend!
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy
Lamisah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lamisah.html

Post by Lamisah »

I loved it, just like his other books, it kept me on the edge of my seat. Cant wait for his next book.
deah319
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 710">Pride and Prejudice</a>
Currently Reading: The Snow Child
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deah319.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by deah319 »

FAHenfrey wrote:I found this book another solid Dan Brown book that passed some enjoyable time by the beach on holidays. However I find that these books are getting a little predictable and formulaic which is why I only gave it a 2 out of 4. This book features Robert Langdon and his latest female assistant trying to solve an series of riddles hidden in ancient symbology in the hopes of stoping a terrible plot and I have de ja vu already. It did however manage to redeem itself somewhat with the incomplete nature if it's ending which gives me a little hope for future novels written in this series (which I have a feeling will continue till absolutely no one reads them anymore)
I would have to agree. I love Dan Brown, his work is so structured, so well-researched but Robert Langdon is beginning to get a little too old for me. I am glad to see that other readers still enjoy him, it can just be my ADD kicking in. I am still looking forward to his next book, my husband pre-orders them for me so that it gets delivered to my house the day of its release. I will always be a fan of Brown because of The Da Vinci Code and Digital Fortres, Deception Point was another page-turner. I am only saying that Inferno is not as good as its predecessors.
"It is what you read when you don't have to that determines who you will be when you can't help it" - Oscar Wilde
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

This book was ok. It's similar to another book that I can't think of right now. I give it a 2/4
I am a free spirit
like mafia
krisliz88
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Heartsick
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krisliz88.html
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by krisliz88 »

I always seem to enjoy Dan Brown books. They always make me think. I know that many of the factors of the book are historically accurate, but the background and possibility make me wonder. I feel that Dan Brown is a talented author and that is what he tried to do with the Robert Langdon series. In order to create a brilliant character such as Robert Langdon, you have to be smart yourself and to that extent I certainly respect Dan Brown and his writing, especially this book!
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

I have always liked Dan Brown Books, however,I was disappointed with The Lost symbol. But his Inferno was really good. As usual the plot line is gripping and thrilling. But what was really the usp of this book was that the main antagonist of this book is dead in the beginning itself and his plan already in motion. Robert Langdon's race against time and attempt to locate the object of destruction in this book, is very well written and as usual this Dan Brown book makes for a good read.
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

I have read all of Brown's previous novels, and I've loved them all. Inferno is a suspenseful page-turner, like his other books, and I would recommend it as good reading, but it is my least favorite, because Zobrist is repeatedly revered as a "genius." He may be a technological wizard, but is not blessed with common sense. These days, technology is everything, and common horse sense accounts for virtually nothing. The people who create technological wonders are hailed as the world's greatest "geniuses," even though their creations seldom make the world a better place to live; it is technology for the sake of technology.

The mere ability to create technological gadgets, viruses, etc., does not make you a "genius," regardless of how sophisticated the creation is. True geniuses are people who not only see what everyone has seen, and think what no one else has thought, but use their gift in a way to benefit the world.

You may argue that Zobrist's intent is to benefit the world; however, that's not the point here. My point is that in a situation such as described in the book (a virus that affects nearly everyone in the world), unforeseen consequences are inevitable. Your body is comprised of 100 trillion cells, and everyone is unique. Numerous people would be affected in ways unanticipated by Zobrist, so even if you think his intent is admirable, his method is faulty.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
wendymm
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendymm.html

Post by wendymm »

britt1125 wrote:Dan Brown is an amazing writer and I loved this book as much if not more than I did the Di Vinci Code. Great story with a great twist. I couldn't put it down.
That makes me feel better. For some reason I haven't been able to get through the first chapter :? . Each time I have opened the book it just loses me quickly. But I have read Brown's other books and really enjoyed them. I suppose I should give it another shot.

Return to “"Inferno" by Dan Brown”