The Goldfich by Donna Tartt - Review & Discussion

Discuss the January 2014 book of the month "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tart.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Re: The Goldfich by Donna Tartt - Review & Discussion

Post by Fran »

marty1314 wrote:
Fran wrote:IMO the book suffers from a lack of editing and could have been about 200 pages shorter. ..the rest of the book was in many ways tedious reading and I honestly could not wait to get it finished.
I liked the story, I liked the characters but, for me, the book as a whole package suffers seriously from a lack of editing and for that reason I would give it a 3/5* rating.
My exact feelings also. Too long, too much time spent on side plots. Were were the editors?
Delighted to find a like minded reader - I was beginning to feel isloated :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Jo Ledamun
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jo Ledamun »

Hoorah, I've finished reading The Goldfinch!! :) :D :)

The characters in this book are vivid and very endearing - especially Boris. From start to finish the story is character driven.

I think The Goldfinch is a story about families, friendship, tragedy, loss, personal circumstance and perhaps fate. Art isn't the main feature of the story, but the medium that's used to tell it.

Although I found the last few pages of this book very disappointing to read, provided you can stomach a lot of yada yada yada (the editing is shockingly bad), The Goldfinch is a interesting and eloquent story to read.

I rate this book 3 out of 5 & have no intention of ever rereading it.
samuyama
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuyama.html
Latest Review: "Cardamom Days" by Derek Darke
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by samuyama »

You know, I think I'm going to check this book out now. Thanks for the positive feedback on it!
Latest Review: "Cardamom Days" by Derek Darke
kismoody
Currently Reading: Cat's Cradle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kismoody.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by kismoody »

It did. This book definitely made me wish I went to the art museum more often. I had a hard time getting into parts of the story, but I loved the characters.
tracy19
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy19.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh

Post by tracy19 »

Adding it to must read book list.
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh
thankyou
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankyou.html
Latest Review: "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell

Post by thankyou »

I'll try to read this book in my free time.
Latest Review: "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell
kismoody
Currently Reading: Cat's Cradle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kismoody.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by kismoody »

As mentioned above, when I read this book I had a hard time getting into it. Like marty1314 said: too much time trying to figure out what was going on with the subplots. It may have been since I tried to listen to it. I've heard mixed opinions across the board at my library as well about it, so it makes me think, like marty1314 said, that it just needed some better editing. Still the art was interesting.
JenniferBoyce
Favorite Author: Jared Diamond
Favorite Book: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferboyce.html
fav_author_id: 3301

Post by JenniferBoyce »

I downloaded the audiobook version of this book. I'm extremely excited to begin listening to it. Has anyone else listened to the audiobook?
scriptbunny
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scriptbunny.html
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.

Post by scriptbunny »

I found the book to be fairly meandering. Like many reviewers have already mentioned, the subplots got distracting. My biggest problem with The Goldfinch, however, is the complete lack of realism. Not in the suspension-of-disbelief sort of way, but in terms of how Ms. Tartt portrays teen culture and life in the American Southwest. It reads like an adult trying too hard to be both wizened and hip, luring tweens to gel with fine art using emoticons. Frankly, it didn't resonate with me at all. Which is a shame, because I had such high hopes for it too.
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.
The Bookaholic
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookaholic.html
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill

Post by The Bookaholic »

I have never heard of this book before! Now I have something to look for next time I visit my library.

-- 10 Mar 2014, 08:03 --

It looks like an interesting book to read, but there are so many reviews up here with so many different opinions that I am not sure what to make of it. The title is a great one though! I am going to put it on my probably worth reading list.
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill
LisaT

Post by LisaT »

I really enjoyed this book but didn't like it at the very end when Tartt "waxed philosophical." I also wished it had ended a little differently but won't post spoilers here. And yes, it definitely could have benefited from some tighter editing.

Even so, I rated it a 5/5 and thought it was excellent. I am looking forward to reading Tartt's other books.

Lisa
Jo Ledamun

Post by Jo Ledamun »

Yes Lisa, I wish the ending had been more too. I thought it was rather disappointing compared to the rest of the story.
thankyou
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankyou.html

Post by thankyou »

@JenniferBoyce - Well I haven't listened to any audiobook till now. But the book itself is good.

-- 12 Mar 2014, 02:40 --
A24 wrote:I started listening to this one on audiobook but the detail was killing me! I stopped after a while and knew I couldn't continue with this one for 32 hours. Perhaps it would've been better by the end of the book, but life is too short to drudge through something I'm not really enjoying.
I never really listened to any audiobooks, but the actual book is quite good.
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

As with her two previous books, I found The Goldfinch to be a warm up read, as in, it takes a while for Tartt to warm up tp where this book is going, it is a long slow burn. It was educational, to me at least, as I have only a general knowledge of art history,most of which was gleaned from books, not necessarily from life experiences or great interest, not that I don't appreciate art, I just don't go out to seek art though perhaps I will. I found the story to be engrossing, once it began and like everything Tartt has written, I would recommend this book to others as I enjoy modern literature.
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
Jen319164
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen319164.html
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou

Post by Jen319164 »

I feel this is a cliffhanging adventure of discovering mysteries
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou

Return to “"The Goldfinch" by Donna Tart”