The Goldfich by Donna Tartt - Review & Discussion

Discuss the January 2014 book of the month "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tart.
kelvinmwaniki17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinmwaniki17.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Re: The Goldfich by Donna Tartt - Review & Discussion

Post by kelvinmwaniki17 » 30 Jul 2018, 05:32

I haven't read the book but I have read the review and this book sounds awesome and I look forward to reading it.

Cash-Centered Creep
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cash-centered-creep.html
Latest Review: Kill Fannie Mae by Frank Latell

Post by Cash-Centered Creep » 14 Nov 2018, 06:04

Seapheasant wrote:
21 Jan 2014, 16:35
i am 3/4 of the way through the book, and one of the most striking things to me about it, is how well it , i dare say, 'promotes' the love of old master paintings and drawings.
There are worse things in the world to promote than that. This is one that I had not heard of, so I'll be interested to see how Tartt's tome engages in such promotion.

steigerd
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Boys in the Boat
Currently Reading: The Ark
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steigerd.html
Latest Review: Mother of Peace by Carol Klavon

Post by steigerd » 10 Jan 2019, 22:21

The book is a very slow read and I had a hard time finishing. It has too many descriptive words. Every scene was filled with a total description of every action. Nothing is left to the imagination. Theo's life is a wreck, nothing works for him. His mother is killed by a terrorist, his father is killed by drink, gambling, and crime, the girl he wants to love is in love with someone else, and the girl he is going to marry is having an affair with another. He doesn't appear to success at anything and even when he becomes a criminal he continues with his bad luck. The ending makes up for all his bad luck but it is so far into the book you may have quite reading before you get there.

Return to “"The Goldfinch" by Donna Tart”