Should Liesel and Max have been more than friends?(spoilers)

Discuss the December 2013 book of the month, "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak
RoxieRoxFox
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Should Liesel and Max have been more than friends?(spoil

Post by RoxieRoxFox » 13 Oct 2016, 14:14

I was a fan of a possible Liesel/Max relationship, post-war. In the book, it ends somewhat ambiguously. I read a review by the author, who said that it was up to the reader's interpretation. So, in my mind, they lived happily together for the rest of their lives.

Dh_
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ » 18 Mar 2017, 17:17

I think that they are better off as siblings because it seemed like there was a pretty big age gap. I can see why it looks like they were heading towards being more than friends, but I can't imagine it. I thought Liesel and Rudy would end up together.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva

Yemurai
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yemurai.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Yemurai » 09 Aug 2017, 09:02

I kinda thought Liesel and Max were headed in that direction anyway. They obviously would be better as more that friends. They get along well, and have genuine affection for each other.

Shrabastee
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 135
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Shrabastee » 13 Apr 2018, 02:41

It was one of my questions after watching the movie. I was curious about the nature of their bonding. Both the scenes where Max leaves the Huberman household and after bidding goodbye to others kisses Liesel on the forehead, and where Max and Liesel were reunited made me think that they would be more than siblings. In fact, in the last scene, the mention of 'friendship' made me feel a little disappointed. However, in the book, they always felt like brother and sister. That portrayal of their character never left any space for doubt. I don't know if it was just because I had since learnt to accept the fact that they were nothing more than siblings or because the author made their chemistry as siblings more realistic.

Mehwish Mohsin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mehwish Mohsin » 13 Apr 2018, 03:22

It was one of my questions after watching the movie. I was curious about the nature of their bonding. Both the scenes where Max leaves the Huberman household and after bidding goodbye to others kisses Liesel on the forehead, and where Max and Liesel were reunited made me think that they would be more than siblings. In fact, in the last scene, the mention of 'friendship' made me feel a little disappointed. However, in the book, they always felt like brother and sister. That portrayal of their character never left any space for doubt. I don't know if it was just because I had since learnt to accept the fact that they were nothing more than siblings or because the author made their chemistry as siblings more realistic.

FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by FilmStar » 11 May 2018, 09:30

Yes! I wanted them together the whole time. I don't care about the age difference. Even though the author confirmed that Liesel and Max don't end up together, he did say he doesn't mind if people ship them anyways. I'll choose to do that:)

Laura Bach
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 575
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-bach.html
Latest Review: A Dress the Color of the Sky by Jennifer Irwin

Post by Laura Bach » 02 Jun 2018, 04:55

I never thought about that possibility. I think it would have been a little forced, since the story was not about that. It was better the way it actually ended, at least that's what I think.

BookishCoffeeBlog
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 14
Currently Reading: Eleanor & Park
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog » 10 Jun 2018, 22:14

I agree with how the book ends. I think there were more important themes in this book and a different relationship might have distracted from them. I also think that there is a distinct lack of good friendships in young literature and I would love to see more friendships like that of Max and Liesel.

julessawyer
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer » 08 Jul 2018, 06:47

I love the ending of the book. They are like siblings. The ending was perfectly fine with me. Max and Liesel were already lucky enough to have seen each other again despite the tumultuous time they were in and the "race" difference that separates them. I already find it ideal to some degree especially they live in Nazi Germany.
Pushing for them to become more than siblings is pushing it too much.

ArriettyClock
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 333
Currently Reading: The Ladies' Paradise
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by ArriettyClock » 09 Jul 2018, 10:30

I think it was more realistic that as children they were acting as close friends and had a more brother-sister bond. It made his death even more moving that Liesel had this "what if" mentality.

Daniya-Shah57
Currently Reading: The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Daniya-Shah57 » 11 Sep 2018, 03:31

Romance between Liesel and Max would have change the whole vibe of the story. I believe they were better off as friends. He was more like an elder brother to him.

Return to “"The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak”