The Movie vs. Book

Discuss the December 2013 book of the month, "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak
Sweet_Lullaby
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-lullaby.html
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy

Re: The Movie vs. Book

Post by Sweet_Lullaby »

some parts of the book were better, but other parts were better in the movie. I can't say that the book is always better than the movie, even though a great majority is.
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy
cmp librarian
Favorite Author: Karren Hancock
Favorite Book: The Bible
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmp-librarian.html
Latest Review: "My Beautiful Life" by Susie Barry

Post by cmp librarian »

I enjoyed the movie more than the book, which is weird for me because I'm usually a book fan and tend to think that the movies never due the books justice. However, in this cause I did not really enjoy the book. I couldn't get into it.... I'm not sure if it was the writing style or what, but I found it confusing and in fact it is one of the few books that I ended up not even finishing. So when the movie came out I was a little skeptical. I didn't think it would be any good. But, the movie surprised me, it was very good and in fact it helped make the book make more sense because I could visualize the parts of the story that had confused me. So, for the Book Thief, the movie is better than the book.
Latest Review: "My Beautiful Life" by Susie Barry
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

cmp librarian wrote:I enjoyed the movie more than the book, which is weird for me because I'm usually a book fan and tend to think that the movies never due the books justice. However, in this cause I did not really enjoy the book. I couldn't get into it.... I'm not sure if it was the writing style or what, but I found it confusing and in fact it is one of the few books that I ended up not even finishing. So when the movie came out I was a little skeptical. I didn't think it would be any good. But, the movie surprised me, it was very good and in fact it helped make the book make more sense because I could visualize the parts of the story that had confused me. So, for the Book Thief, the movie is better than the book.
I also enjoyed the movie more than the book, and this is also the exception for me. Once I read a book, the movie never lives up to what I imagined when reading. In this case, the movie visuals of the setting, the bombings, the basement really moved me and brought that period to life for me.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

The book was definitely better. The narrator wasn't represented very well in the movie, and a lot of the really good parts weren't in it, which was sad, because they definitely helped to make the book awesome.
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
shawnmichaels800
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shawnmichaels800 »

I have currently only seen the movie, but based upon what everyone is saying about the book, I am quite excited to read it since I really enjoyed the movie!
EJuntunen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejuntunen.html

Post by EJuntunen »

I loved the movie and I thought it was one of the truest movie adaptations of a book I've ever seen. I of course enjoyed the book more and I found the narration by Death completely original and enthralling.
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

Both were great, but…

I have never once enjoyed a movie adaptation over a book and The Book Thief is no exception. I enjoyed the movie, but (as always) the story in the book is much more developed. The movie does not focus enough on the actual stealing of books to warrant the title. Of course, given the limitations of time, I think it was appropriate that they focused more on the other story lines. Still, it creates a disconnect for anyone who hasn't read the book. I also did not like the changes to the ending when Liesel is saved from the aftermath of the bombing. The movie greatly underscored her relationship with Rudy, but then exaggerated his death scene. I didn't really understand this discrepancy.
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
deah319
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 710">Pride and Prejudice</a>
Currently Reading: The Snow Child
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deah319.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by deah319 »

Unfortunately I saw the movie first and realized it was an adaptation from a book. I thought that the movie was well-made and it made me cry, a lot. I just couldn't let myself go through that again . Archie is correct, book first then the movie.
"It is what you read when you don't have to that determines who you will be when you can't help it" - Oscar Wilde
zoedecicco
Favorite Book: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoedecicco.html
Latest Review: "The Bad Path to Enlightenment" by Lee A. Eide

Post by zoedecicco »

I didn't like the movie - her accent was cringeworthy most of the time. Give me the book any day!
"80% of success is showing up" - Woody Allen

"There are no small parts, only small actors." - Constantin Stanislavski
Latest Review: "The Bad Path to Enlightenment" by Lee A. Eide
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Movie was great but the book is always better!! :)
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
jkclay1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkclay1.html

Post by jkclay1 »

I saw the movie and thought it was fantastic! I love historical fiction, it has always been one of my favorite genres in books and movies. I haven't read the book, but it is definitely on the top of my list now! The way it was laid out and the actors they used to tell the story were amazing. I feel like it gave a new perspective on the war, especially since it was a non-german supporter in Germany. Sometimes I feel like we forget in history books how much the German people suffered and the fact that not everyone supported Hitler. They suffered just as much, if not more, than everyone else in the war. This was a great movie because of this and I can't wait to read the book!
"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."
-Benjamin Franklin
DalekPrideParade
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalekprideparade.html

Post by DalekPrideParade »

I have only seen the movie, should I read the book?
krysgutz97

Post by krysgutz97 »

The book allowed you to really feel with the characters. While the film shared similar qualities, it did not reach the extent of emotional connection that the book does. So yes, the book is much better.
Peaceplank1
Favorite Book: Perfume
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peaceplank1.html

Post by Peaceplank1 »

i just purchased this book yesterday and am planning to start it tonight. Really looking forward to it.
gervaisk
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gervaisk.html

Post by gervaisk »

I usually enjoy a book much better then the movie. A book can include so many details that are not always possible in a movie. I must say in this case the movie was much better. It kept my attention much better then the book. I had a hard time reading the book.

Return to “"The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak”