The Book Thief

Discuss the December 2013 book of the month, "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak
Joyce P
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Book Thief

Post by Joyce P »

I am about 2/3 through this book. It's an interesting idea to have the book written from the point of death. Anyone have any thoughts on this one?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read the book and like it. I found the story and the POV unique. A brilliant book!

The narrator tells us a less known another side of the Nazi Germany, the side of the little people who are trying to survive in the shadow of war and Nazi atrocities and suffering from poverty and deprivation. One can't not to but sympathize with Liesel and her friends, but at least their weren't victims to the Nazi's greased murder machine. Suffice to say I felt more for the Jewish victims which all of a sudden their world fell apart. The narrator mentions the death marches (Auschwitz and such) and even he is shocked about that. Death notes at the end of the book that he always understates the human race (and with a good reason it seems) and concludes: "I am haunted by humans".

Something to think about: Indeed it wasn't easy to live in Germany during the holocaust era, but it was much worse for the Jew and the other victims.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James