Discuss the December 2013 book of the month, "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak
M_Filomon75
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-filomon75.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch weed by Zachery Wilson

Re: Favorite character?

Post by M_Filomon75 »

Rudy and Max are tied for first in my opinion.
kelso9326
Favorite Book: Life Expectancy
Currently Reading: Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelso9326.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by kelso9326 »

I also agree. Rudy was favorite character as well.
Palfree
Currently Reading: Holly and Homiicide
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palfree.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Palfree »

My favorite character is Lissel. I was impressed that she was willing to make the effort to learn how to read even though she was older when she was learning to read. Later, you see how important books have become to her. She rescued a book during the book burning. She also took a variety of books when she had access to a library. She placed a high value on learning about the world around her and using that knowledge to help people.
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

The narrator was my favorite character. I loved comments death made though out the story, they are sometimes ironic or dark, but usually leave you something to reflect on, most of the time, of the cruelty humans take part on. Like the last sentence of the book, "I am haunted by humans".
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

Though I liked Rudy a lot but my favorite was Max. I loved reading about his dream.
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
angiedeeh1
Currently Reading: Fervent:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiedeeh1.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by angiedeeh1 »

I was intrigued by Ilsa Hermann and kept seeing her as a very uptight, perfectly manicured woman, trying hard to keep up appearances. But then I know she so often appeared at the door in her bathrobe so that doesn't quite fit. I think maybe in the days before her son's death, she may have fit that mold. She was obviously hurting and I appreciated the glimpses of her opening her door (maybe her heart a little) to Liesel. I think she was comforted by Liesel's presence in the library, how Liesel was overjoyed just to be in the room with all of those books. Maybe seeing Liesel's joy reminded her of her son, or just a time when she felt like that. Even though they seldom talked, I think Ilsa said a lot by her actions and her presence at different moments. I think Ilsa found healing in the end by being able to help Liesel after the bombing that took Liesel's family and best friend.

Ilsa and Liesel both experienced significant loss; Ilsa lost her son and Liesel had lost her mother. While Liesel had a foster mother who did love her, I think Ilsa filled a different place in Liesel's heart somehow. Maybe Ilsa and Liesel understood each other in ways no one else in their lives could.
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

I loved Liesel and her adopted father. She had an innocence about her but also courage and a desire to help. He had such love and compassion for Liesel. He understood her so well and really put up with his wife well too ;-)
-Thea M. Frederick
Edna016
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Edna016 »

My favorite characters in the book were probably Rudy and Max. I loved all their different and interesting dreams, imaginations , and goals they had in their life despite what was going on around them. I really loved how the author portrayed them.
naomilupton_98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomilupton-98.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by naomilupton_98 »

The book had so many well-rounded characters and each one was memorable in his/her own way. However, I think Death was my favorite character. While many view the concept of death as a bad thing, it was very creative to use death in a character, and that character as a vessel to showcase what was happening during WWII. And of course, his snarky comments and caring nature created a character we could relate with.
Danerys Muniz Prior
Currently Reading: The Desolations of Devil's Acre (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #6)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danerys-muniz-prior.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Danerys Muniz Prior »

Max was always my favorite character. Because he is quiet, easily misunderstood, and I love how he treats the main characters like family.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I loved Death so much! I thought it was very clever to have him narrating the book, and giving him the sort of emotion that I never even thought of death having, especially because of the depictions I am used to seeing of him. Allowing him to have emotions made you feel empathy for him, especially due to the time that it is set in
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Rudy for sure! He was funny and silly.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I love Rudy best because he is a very charming boy and he can see past the color of someone's skin to his abilities. I read it in 2013, and I still can't forget when he gave a teddy bear to a dying soldier. He saved a book by swimming through the cold water to give it back to Liesel. I cried for him in the end.

I also love the main character. Like Liesel, I can't stop myself from checking out some books. I haven't stolen a physical book before, but I might do it in a book burning. haha..
Who else wants about those banned books? Even with free books, only few people care to read!

I also appreciate Rosa. Even with a stern attitude, she still cares about her loved ones.
Ilsa is a very underrated character, in my opinion.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Linda S 1
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda-s-1.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Linda S 1 »

My favourite characters were Papa and Liesel. Papa was a very supportive and calm person. He feels like a person who can offer solace and comfort to those around him. Liesel was smart, determined and very brave. She was a girl filled with kindness and I loved it.
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

Despite the grimness and despair of the war, Max remains optimistic all throughout the book, and hence is my favourite character!

Return to “"The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak”