Featured Review: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts

Discuss the October 2013 book of the month "The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell.
Pamela_Jeanette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Featured Review: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts

Post by Pamela_Jeanette »

This is a heart breaking story in a first person perspective of a boy named John. This story follows his childhood in a poor home. John talks to you as he deals with death, child neglect, poverty, a parent's alcohol abuse, bullying and coming of age. You will laugh and cry as John reminds that us we even though we struggle we have a lot to be greatful for.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

The paranormal aspect sounds very intriguing.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
vinkipc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinkipc.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by vinkipc »

Great review. Told in the main protagonist perspective. The story is emotional has it deal with main protagonist's childhood experiences. This experiences can be disturbing as they include issues like child molestation and abuse. Thank you for such a unique book and a review too.
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

Kind of sounds depressing. I've been working on family dramas in the past year, and while the issues I've dealt with haven't been as dark as molestation, they still get to me as the author. While you make it sound like a worthwhile read, I'm not sure I want to submerge myself into more of these depressing issues.
goldengal1315
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goldengal1315.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by goldengal1315 »

When many people hear or read the word ghost they immediately believe the paranormal is involved and for that we have modern media to blame. But prior to Beetlejuice's friends popping up on multiple cable channels each evening there was another meaning of the word " ghost ". It meant a memory or series of events so traumatizing it haunted an individual. Certainly child abuse and molestation qualify. I enjoyed the several pages of the sample I have read, the perspective of an adult looking back on a clearly very difficult and unfortunate childhood. Hopefully I will find that he found some solace and understanding as he grew older and perhaps continued healing as he wrote.
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Post by ccrews0408 »

Nice review! The paranormal aspect of the book intrigues me but I would have to read the sample to make a final decision.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I am curious about the experiences that made John's childhood heart-breaking. Sounds like a good read.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I agree with you that it can be confusing to read this through the perspective of a child but the more I read, the less confused I became. Thanks for the great review!
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Nandy
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 170

Post by Nandy »

A wonderful review which I could not have done better myself. At first I was not interested in this book but as I read it's synopsis I was completely taken. It seems to be a very good read
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

Sounds like it could be an interesting read. My neice is very into horror, she probably would like it. I may watch a horror film every once in a while, but I dont think I would want to read it. Nor anything with abusing children, that is too much of a soft spot having lived through it myself. Congratulations on BOTD though.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I found the sample fascinating. Using the language of a small boy is brilliant. I wonder when John's older sister will stop bullying him. Based on what I have read so far, the ghosts are flesh and blood. I hope to read the rest of John's story.

P.S. John's version of the "Our Father" is memorable. He had me at "hello."
bellaterrabooks
Currently Reading: On the Rez
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellaterrabooks.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by bellaterrabooks »

Perhaps through the innocent position of childhood, the author is able to trigger the profound emotions that accompany abuse. Given that this book presents disturbing imagery and addresses complex topics, the adult perspective laced with passionate emotions while a child’s viewpoint would not recognize these deep feelings. A child does not recognize what is happening, thus they are unable to process their reality for what it truly is in the moment. It is only in hindsight that children can see their circumstances. It is possible that the author sought to write about a sensitive subject by using the delicacy of youth.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I'm not interested in reading anything that discusses child abuse. The writing in the sample is very difficult to read due to the fact that every other sentence seems to be missing a comma. I found it frustrating to try to get through. Definitely passing on this despite my usual interest in things that involve ghots.
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mariakavo88 »

Wow. It sounds like this book brings about a lot of emotions and really makes you feel. This is often times hard to come by and even more impressive that the book was written from a child's perspective. It sounds like a great book that encompasses human nature and the cruelties that one can face and endure. Thanks for the review.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Wow! This is one book that I can recommend to book lovers of all genres. John's story is truly fascinating.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Return to “"The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell”