Featured Review: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts

Discuss the October 2013 book of the month "The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Re: Featured Review: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

It sounds like the author wonderfully managed to capture the perspective of a young child while dealing with dark elements. I think it'd be interesting reading about a supernatural aspect added to a very, real, dark thing like child and sexual abuse.
NdegwaSalome
Currently Reading: Four Pebbles on a Bench
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndegwasalome.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by NdegwaSalome »

The review is simply amazing and now am intrigued to read it. It's nice to understand some issues from other people's perspectives, in this case, young John.
Wayne Njoroge
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Dark Web Murders
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-njoroge.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Post by Wayne Njoroge »

Even though the book does speak of ghosts. I believe it gives emphasis on past traumatic experiences during childhood. Such details may be disturbing. But they all offer insight to its readers.
Ochieng Omuodo
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

I really like this review. It is focused on your reactions to the story and yet still comes across analytically. I think the sub-headings enhance your delivery; a throw-back to a time gone by when this format was allowed, perhaps? Of the content itself, I like to see an author humorously portray life's wickedness, especially if it is personal.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

It feels like the book is a good character study, delving into the character's emotions with depth if your emotions were stirred so strongly upon reading. However, it'd be nice to get to know a bit more about what exactly are the issues that one might find disturbing (as a reader, other than the ghostly aspect, of course). Thanks for the review.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Although this mystery book sounds like a nice read, I'm not sure it's a perfect fit for me.
Abu_Aisha1
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abu-aisha1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Abu_Aisha1 »

It's the title of the book for me. I anticipate to have an amazing experience reading this book. Congratulations on being the book of the day!
Yananisai Gavi
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yananisai-gavi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Yananisai Gavi »

Sounds intriguing. Childhood is a difficult stage as children are the most vulnerable. Thus this novel being written in a childs voice gives the children a voice and helps adults to sympathise and understand children more. It also makes the world aware of the dangers many children face growing up.
Matlhodi Nozwayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matlhodi-nozwayo.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Matlhodi Nozwayo »

I love books with emotion out into them. The perspective this book has been written from is also very interesting and plus it brings issues like molestation forth. It's more than just a paranormal book and I think this is definitely a piece to enjoy. I'm glad its on my shelf now.
Rica Singh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rica-singh.html
Latest Review: visiting With An Angel by Jerry A Greenberg

Post by Rica Singh »

Disturbing and humorous? Sounds reaaally awesome. Count me in. Great review, by the way!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the story is told from a young John’s perspective because it allows readers to better connect with the story. I also like that the book is full of humor. Reading recommendation.
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

Saoirse200 wrote: 24 Jul 2013, 23:10...a very difficult thing to read about such disturbing issues such as child-molestation or abuse especially from young Johns perspective because he had such an innocent outlook on things; the issues that are in this book gave an even bigger impact on the reader because of Johns perspective.

...it offers an insight into Johns heart-breaking childhood which will make you appreciate all that you have a lot more, The Boy who Lived with Ghosts is definitely a worthwhile read.
Poor wee lad. After reading the sample I dreaded what he'd face later in the story. Thanks for your helpful review, you've ensured readers need to be prepared to learn more about his misfortune. It's interesting to see a book that deals with child abuse and social deprivation in the 1960s. So far removed from the era of The Beatles, Swinging 60s and such like.
His innocence and childhood logic made him so vulnerable.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I cannot imagine what John must have gone through as a child. Being able to see ghosts, which is scary, and being unable to explain these things to others must have had a serious impact on his life. This book seems very interesting, and even though I'm not a fan of memoirs, I'm curious to read the book due to the supernatural aspect.
Sanju Lali
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A supernatural story book "The Boy who Lived with ghosts" by John Mitchell, which tells us about a boy's experiences when he encounters ghosts during his childhood days. A thrilling book to read.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Amarachi Nwankwo03
Currently Reading: Summer Showers
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amarachinwankwo.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Amarachi Nwankwo03 »

Sounds like a really disturbing book. I am definitely not one for horror so I might steer clear. I wonder if this is a memoir of the author since his name is John too. Congratulations on BOTD 🥳

Return to “"The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell”