Review by Nyambara -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nyambara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambara.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review by Nyambara -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nyambara »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At the core of it, Heartaches is a riveting tale of two people who find each other in the midst of their anguish. It gives perfect meaning to the saying, “Misery loves company”. In his book, H.M. Irwing illustrates how Anna undergoes traumatic experiences at the hands of the ones she thought she could trust. Broken and without really meaning to, she reconnects with an acquaintance from her childhood. The connection is undeniable. He can recognize the darkness in her. He knows it all too well. In a bid to help her seek justice, she begins to see him in a different light. He was a ray of light in her cloudy life. Like a new breath of fresh air. He was like the sunshine peeking through the clouds for the first time in a long time. The book is the beginning of a series as it is to be continued. I believe moving on we shall get to see how they overcome the tragedies of their lives that brought them so close together.

I liked most that the narrative was written from such an honest stand. The first person, whoever it would be in each chapter expressed real, relatable and tangible emotions. When they were happy, you become happy. When they’re sad, you’re sad. Every bit of the book was enthralling, including the sad, dark parts. A little similar to those movies where you cover your eyes with your hands but still peep through your fingers cause you don’t want to let go or miss a thing.

I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn’t give it a two for it was exceptionally well edited and had a narrative that flowed well and fit together seamlessly. The fact that it captures one’s emotions and grips one’s soul would have me give it an extra partial point to make it 3.5. I did not give it 4 stars out of 4 because the number of somber events within the family and without seemed too many to be practical for one lifetime. There are parts of the story, more so the deaths, that are hard to comprehend ideally.

This book would best be enjoyed by lovers of romance. The story of their love unfolds slowly but is hard to miss. In all its subtlety, it still makes the reader croon and gush from time to time. There is quite a bit of adult content within and so therefore the book would not be suitable to children or those who steer clear of erotic scenes.

I definitely recommend Heartaches by H.M. Irwing as a great read and can’t wait for the sequel.

Heartaches
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nyambara's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”