Official Review: The Dark Beginning by RaJean Anderson

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Official Review: The Dark Beginning by RaJean Anderson

Post by Morgan Jones »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dark Beginning" by RaJean Anderson.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Dark Beginning by RaJean Anderson tells the story of Leveta Coxwell, an ambitious and strong-willed woman who moves to Colorado in search for a new beginning beyond the confinements of her past. There, she finds comfort in new friendships and a possible serious relationship, a luxury she couldn’t enjoy before due to a broken family. However, it doesn’t take long for the ghosts of the past to return. Leveta finds herself at a war between her heart and mind once again, but she’ll be adamant to lose the battle a second time. Can she succeed in taking full and permanent control of her life?

To start off, I would like to warn the readers that the book discusses very sensitive topics such as rape, assault, abuse, gun violence and so on. Sadly, the author doesn’t cover such topics with the caution and thoughtfulness needed, to the point where the heaviness of the subjects is completely brushed off during some scenes – which could be triggering for some.

Second of all, the book contains an immense number of grammatical mistakes, misspelled words and a constant confusion between the past and present tense. For many instances, I was left wondering whether I was reading a flashback or a moment of the present. It was obvious that the author hadn't invested in a professional editor, because the story felt more like a rough draft rather than a published book.

To add to it, the plot was extremely fast-paced and rushed. I felt like the characters were emotionless, almost like parrots repeating what was told to them. There was absolutely no room for growth nor development - especially for Leveta, who I expected a lot from considering her tough upbringing and background. In fact, I thought she was very full of herself at times, and her reactions to certain issues didn't quite match her personality. She goes from having trust issues in the past, due to her father’s betrayal, to going on a date with a complete stranger just because he was “hot.” I think the author cared too much about showing the emotional turmoil Leveta was experiencing on the daily, that they forgot to show a proper, smooth transition between such intense emotions.

Also, the conversations were very awkward and a bit cringy to read. As hard as I tried, I couldn't bring myself to imagine such scenarios occurring in real life, nor could I keep up with the characters' random and misplaced thoughts – especially when such thoughts weren't justified. Also, it seemed like the author was too focused on making Leveta stand out, that they failed to add depth and personality to the rest of the individuals in the book. The only main traits that they all shared was that they were “sexy,” they loved Leveta without an acceptable reason, and they all fought for her attention. That is why it became very boring to read about them after a few chapters – especially when I became aware that no development will occur for the rest of the book.

For the reasons above, I will rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. The book should be read by ages above 18 since it contains explicit sexual content and graphic scenes. Sadly, I would not recommend this book to anyone because it lacks a solid plot, strong characterization, and an emotional connection that should have been established with such a "tragic" storyline.

The Dark Beginning
View: on Bookshelves

Like Morgan Jones's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Ann KENDI
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ann KENDI »

The book clearly has strong issues that it is trying to address. Unfortunately this was not done in a good manner especially in the plot. This has therefore hampered the book from being read by many people.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like this book has some serious flaws. I don't mind talking about sensitive subjects; it's necessary and often beneficial. But treating them in such a callous manner is uncalled for. I'll avoid this one. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

Ann KENDI wrote: 28 Feb 2019, 08:31 The book clearly has strong issues that it is trying to address. Unfortunately this was not done in a good manner especially in the plot. This has therefore hampered the book from being read by many people.

Exactly! It was obvious that the author didn't educate themselves about the sensitive topics included in the book before they started writing it.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

kandscreeley wrote: 28 Feb 2019, 08:55 It sounds like this book has some serious flaws. I don't mind talking about sensitive subjects; it's necessary and often beneficial. But treating them in such a callous manner is uncalled for. I'll avoid this one. Thanks.
Yes, you're right. In fact, I'm always curious about other's perspectives on such topics in hopes of starting a beneficial conversation. Hence why I was very disappointed with the outcome in this book.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Sadly, the author doesn’t cover such topics with the caution and thoughtfulness needed, to the point where the heaviness of the subjects is completely brushed off during some scenes – which could be triggering for some.
It's always difficult to score a book with the lowest rating, but based on your review, I certainly agree. You did a great job of identifying the problematic issues.
jagannathhalder
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by jagannathhalder »

You are right , in this book very grammar mistake .
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Oh dear. This one seems to have missed the mark on everything! I get annoyed when authors try to include graphic and sensitive content only for shock value. Without solid explanations and due consideration, this makes the book shallow.
I loved your review - thanks!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

The title of the book sounds intriguing. Too bad the story has all the negative things there is to make it a bad read. Thanks for a helpful review.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like the author didn't put nearly enough thought into their writing. Hopefully they rewrite it and get help from an editor. Thanks for the review!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

What a sad attempt. Good job analyzing it.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Morgan Jones wrote: 25 Feb 2019, 05:33 Sadly, I would not recommend this book to anyone because it lacks a solid plot, strong characterization, and an emotional connection that should have been established with such a "tragic" storyline.
This one appears to be one of those superficial plots that inconsiderately treat tragedy and trauma as drama, to make the book interesting rather than tasteful or of good quality. I really appreciate how you explain your issues with the book.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

I feel that romance has to make sense and be weaved into a logical plot, otherwise it gets painfully boring. The disorganized structure is really unfortunate and i hope the writer takes note. Thanks for a review wonderfully done. :tiphat:
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Womba9
Currently Reading: I've Never Been [Un]Happier
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Womba9 »

I'm very sensitive to sexual abuse stories, however I don't mind talking or reading about them.
One must learn that no matter what we go through in life we can put it aside and learn to live life afresh so I see nothing wrong with her going on a date with a total stranger. She is trying to live a normal life. Not all are so paranoid despite their experience.
However based on your review on this book I wouldn't read it for the fact that there are grammatical errors and wrong spellings as well as confusing chapters.
I can urge the author to rewrite this book with the help of professionals being very aware of how hard it is to rewrite a book.
All in all,I have learnt so much from this review,about the book as well as what to avoid in future projects.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”