Review by rayzda1 -- Devilish by Tricia Barr

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Racine Lashley
Favorite Book: Dark Lover
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayzda1.html
Latest Review: Ark of the Apocalypse by Tobin Marks
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by rayzda1 -- Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by Racine Lashley »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Devilish" by Tricia Barr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Devilish by Tricia Barr is a paranormal romance novel set in New York City. When the devil a.k.a Lucifer arrives on earth all of the proverbial hell breaks loose. One single question is on everyone's lips, what is Lucifer really doing here? The first sinner claims he's on vacation, but the world isn't convinced. So when newbie reporter Felicity Claire for the New York Times is tasked with this career changing interview, she jumps at the opportunity. The 22-year-old virgin is not only determined to find out what the devil is hiding but is also set on exposing Elektra Pharmaceuticals nefarious practices. The moment she lays eyes on the dark angel, she is captivated not only by his charming personality but what she sees beneath his devil may care exterior. As a game of cat and mouse ensues, Fey finds herself in the midst of a story that has dire consequences, which leads her to make a dangerous decision. What starts out as a game soon blossoms into a possibility, which is quickly shattered when Fey receives a daunting task that not only affects Lucifer's life but all of mankind's.

I was pleasantly surprised with the way this story turned out because could have gone so many ways. Tricia Barr could have followed hundreds of lore behind certain events, but I liked the way Barr introduced her own spin on things. This made it fresh and authentic allowing me to fall in love with Lucifer as much as Fey did. There was nothing that I disliked about this book. It had a few typos, but that didn’t diminish the flow of the story in any way. This book is definitely proofread and edited professionally.

The characters were well written. Everyone, even a character who only had a one-liner fit into the overall plot of the story. I also appreciated that Barr didn’t make Fey a docile virgin. Fey had a backbone and a lot of spunk. You could tell by reading that she was pretty sexy and beautiful, which is my point, Barr didn’t tell me this, she made me see it. She does a lot of this through the whole story, which brought it to life for me.

Lucifer’s character, which I think would be the hardest to write, seems effortless to Barr. She humanizes him in a way only an author who truly is invested in her characters and dedicated to her craft can. Barr sheds light on the Devil persona in a whole other way, which helps you see it from a different perspective.

The stakes, the tension and the plot twists in this story were spot on. The scenes between Fey and Lucifer were always filled with whatever the characters were feeling, and it had me at the edge of my seat at times. This book has intense and graphic sexual scenes, so this is definitely for adults. If you are a fan of paranormal romance, then this is a great read. I enjoyed this book immensely, and I give it 4 out of 4 stars. I did so not only because it was exceptionally well written, and pretty much made me root for the Devil, but because I found the characters compelling.

Devilish
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like rayzda1's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”