Official Review: My Soul Belongs to You by C. L. Hunter

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: My Soul Belongs to You by C. L. Hunter

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Soul Belongs to You" by C. L. Hunter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In My Soul Belongs to You by C. L. Hunter, Kate is unable to shake the horrors of her past. After her father walked away, she was left to bring herself up as her mother was lost to alcohol. As a young adult, she has a baby and is forced to give her up for adoption. Years later, Kate has come to the conclusion that she is broken and unlovable. Still, Deacon O’Mallery the handsome Irish man, sees Kate’s beauty. He is determined to be with her despite his own past. Kate presses on to find her daughter as she fights off her attraction to Deacon. Someone else too is watching and is ready to keep them apart.

I appreciated the fact that the plot of the book is suspenseful with many captivating and sizzling events springing up from time to time. This kept the tale fresh and made it fascinating. The addition of supernatural scenarios and characters only accentuated this aspect of the book. As much as the plot contains similar features of other romance novels, it stands out because of the author’s creativity.

In the end, all the questions and conflicts raised at the beginning are answered and solved as the story moves forward. The ends ties together and the tale culminates wonderfully. No sub-plots are left hanging which gives the impression that the author took time to plan and write the book and the unexpected events are not just included for the sake of it.

Another wonderful feature of the book is its compelling characters. Both Deacon and Kate have traumatic pasts but they do not let their former years dictate who they become. Kate learns of her inner strength and realizes that she is loveable. She also makes the best out of her painful past. Deacon also does well for himself despite the many challenges along the way. However, I would have preferred a more active antagonist. The villain only appears in a few instances. The supporting characters play an important role in the whole story and they are all well-developed. The addition of Irish sayings and features of the people’s customs makes the tale even more appealing.

Despite the story being part of a series, it still stands on its own and can be read independently. The book is professionally edited and I only identified one error. Readers who love a fast-paced love story will enjoy My Soul Belongs to You. Those who prefer less surprising and slow-paced novels may not enjoy it. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

My Soul Belongs to You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Poor Kate. I'm sure she is NOT broken and unlovable. I hope everything works out between her and Deacon; I also hope that she is able to reconnect with her child. Thanks for the review. I don't think this is for me, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Kate's story is heartbreaking. I appreciate your reference to the author's creative writing. I would be interested in knowing if she ever finds her daughter. Thanks for your intriguing review.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I am curious to find out how the author includes creativity outside the norm in this romance novel. I appreciate captivating books that contain sizzling moments and am thrilled to add another book to my shelf after reading your review!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
clancy8
Currently Reading: Toward Happier Choices
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clancy8.html
Latest Review: A Loaf Of Bread by Rana Bitar

Post by clancy8 »

I must say Kate's story is heart breaking and very emotional.
would really love to read this.
Thanks for the amazing review.
Beverly Gabriel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Beverly Gabriel »

kate is so lucky because despite of her past someone is still willing to love her 💖
ChydeanmahE95
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chydeanmahe95.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by ChydeanmahE95 »

Everybody deserves to be loved, even the ones who feel like the weight of the world is on their shoulders. This book interests me greatly.
The faintest pen is sharper than the mightiest sword.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

As much as the plot contains similar features of other romance novels, it stands out because of the author’s creativity.
Sometimes with genres like this, we love books most that are able to have the best familiar trappings of the genre while still telling us an interesting and entertaining story. It sounds like this book fits that bill well. It sounds like the character development and world-building is pretty good. I'm glad Kate is able to move forward. Thanks for the review!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like a great twist on a typical romance story. I'm glad to hear it is fast paced, sometimes romance novels can drag a bit. I will have to check this one out!
dinark-audu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dinark-audu.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by dinark-audu »

I have always had a soft spot for people who had a dark past. I would love u know in details how they both handled everything. Thanks for the review.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Sounds enjoyable and romantic. Count me in!
angellove123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by angellove123 »

Aw! Such a heartbreaking story. But yea, growing up like Kate will definitely mold someone into a stronger and braver person that no matter how difficult the situation could be, s/he' not gonna give up. And gladly, Kate found someone who's willing to accept and love her unconditionally. 😍☺️
Curlicia Mc Sween
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Curlicia Mc Sween »

This book is really interesting :lol: :lol: I feel so bad for kate though :cry:

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”