Review by nataliavazquezf -- One Way or Another

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nataliavazquezf
Currently Reading: The Travels of Marco Polo
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nataliavazquezf.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Review by nataliavazquezf -- One Way or Another

Post by nataliavazquezf »

[Following is a volunteer review of "One Way or Another" by Mary J. Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams is a modern romance novel surrounding the lives of the extremely wealthy Benedict sisters: Andi, Bryce, Destry, and Calder- the latest being the protagonist of the first of the 4-book series. Accustomed to a life of benefits, yet filled with family drama, Calder is used to relying solely on her sisters, but when she meets Adam she’s challenged by a simultaneous sense of intense attraction and preexisting trust issues that she’s unsure how to handle. So, while tackling the repercussions that exist naturally in the life of a powerful woman, she finds that navigating the shockingly mundane trials of fresh-relationship etiquette becomes a refreshing aspect of her otherwise abnormal lifestyle.

In this book, romance is described in a fun and fascinating way which strongly distinguishes itself from the average teen-romance novels we’ve grown to expect. I am pleasantly surprised to find the depth within each sentence and the lessons subtly planted in each chapter, yet am also content about the drama that I consider to have been extremely entertaining instead of the usual, tiresome storylines that we're unfortunately accustomed to reading.

What I appreciated the most about this story is how the sister's jobs are a front side topic while the socioeconomic contrast between Calder and Adam’s upbringing remains on the background where it’s nothing more than a characteristic that, while very real, doesn’t define their relationship. Their romance is a constant effort that remains consistent as time goes by and as they begin to take a more serious approach towards a life together.

It's undeniably clear that building multi-faceted women -and characters in general- is the author’s specialty. Women are never placed against the other nor are they ever competing, while most male characters are extremely supportive of their toughness and independence; Williams understands that each character has its own path, personality, and interests that make them respect and inspire others to reach their individual goals. It's a women oriented story that clearly reflects how the author feels about herself and the subject in hand.

Because it’s wonderfully well written, edited and planned out- I believe that it merits a 4 out of 4-star rating. It was an enjoyable book that intrigued me and kept me wanting more. Mary J. Williams has gained a new fan and I’m eager to read the rest of the Sisters Quartet series.

One Way or Another
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like nataliavazquezf's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”