Official Review: Lilly Of The Mountains by D. L. Yoder

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: Lilly Of The Mountains by D. L. Yoder

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lilly Of The Mountains" by D. L. Yoder.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lilly of the Mountains by D. L. Yoder is a story of betrayal, resentment, forgiveness, reconciliation, mystery, and romance. The story took place in the early 1940s in a small town of Clayton, Colorado, and had a flavor of the Wild West with horses and guns and the beginnings of city life. Charlie Crandle’s wife, Lindsey died leaving a young daughter Lilly to bring up. Circumstances forced Charlie to make arrangements for his daughter Lilly to marry Levi Perkins, who was much older and a lot richer than Lilly. Little did anyone know just how bad this decision to marry Levi would be and that Lilly would suffer emotional and physical abuse from Levi. How did Levi acquire his riches? Why did he make so many enemies? Why were there no shed tears at his funeral? Where did he hide his money?

The first half of the story will answer all of these questions. The second half of the story switches modes as Lilly tries to find meaning in life, service to mankind, and to find true love. As she works through forgiving her father, Levi, and others, she helps others to also start a new life and to forgive themselves.

The author developed several characters besides Lilly, Levi, and Charlie. Some of them were the gossips of the town, the homeless men at the mission, and a mysterious Marcell, who seemed to have insight into people’s lives.

I best liked the mystery that surrounded the death of Levi and the hideout of all his money. The first half kept me reading to find out all the answers to my questions. I also liked the character of Lilly, as she was quite the survivor and fighter. However, the second half of the story seemed to have an almost completely different story as Lilly got involved in mission work and fell in love with a street preacher, Jason. I was a bit surprised at the big difference between the two halves of the story, simply because I was not expecting it. The many errors, such as misspelled words, missing quotation marks, and a need for capitalizations, I found in the book made me cringe and took away from some of the easiness of reading the book. I also did not like how some of the characters and results seemed to just drop off and disappear. I kept asking myself what happened?

Overall, I thought the book was entertaining, and the author used descriptive words to build characters and settings, which I could picture in my mind. I rate Lilly of the Mountains 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted one star for the book having more than ten errors and for non-closure of some characters of the story. However, I enjoyed reading the story for the most part, and it deserves more than two stars for having a good plot and interesting characters.

This book would appeal most to people who enjoy a bit of mystery and romance with Christian influences on people’s lives. This is not a typical romance book filled with a lot of sexual scenes, so if you are one to like that type of book, this may not be the one for you.

Lilly Of The Mountains
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LV2R's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

This sounds like a unique story. Lilly's character sounds very strong and independent considering all that she had to go through. Your review was insightful and interesting so thank you :)
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I like the character o Lilly, the resilient kind that no matter what she went through, she was still willing to give herself a shot at happiness. A very important lesson to be learnt. I hope to get a chance to get hold of this book and read more about Lilly, her struggles and her victory.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Yes, I appreciate a good romance novel that is not inundated with erotic scenes....Great review.
About the two halves of the story, maybe the author could have made 2 different books altogether. I also don't like when all the characters don't get closure...
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I love the way you reviewed this book. The book is intriguing, and keeps the reader in suspense. I was expecting the reviewer, to make it easier for us through brief explanation. However, she made it more interesting through her rhetorical question ? Unique review! I love it.
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

Lily sounds like a strong woman. I always say the ability to totally forgive someone who has wronged you means you are strong. The book has a unique feeling to it. Good review.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

This sounds like a book that is full of suspense. Lilly getting involved in mission work was unexpected and i also think it was her love for the things of God that allowed her heart to work through forgiving her father.

The cover of this book reminds me a lot of Prue Haliwell from charmed and i love it. thanks for the beautiful review.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I feel like the changes in Lilly's life could very well instill a sense of hope and inspiration for the real-life ambitions of the reader.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The difference between the two halves of the book is interesting. It's refreshing to find a romance that focuses on the relationship and not the bedroom. Thanks for your interesting review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

A clean Christan romance? Add to that a bit of mystery? That's it. You've got me hooked already. I'm interested in the two separate halves as well. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
BraItu
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braitu.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by BraItu »

I love Romance, regardless of the book not having actual exotic scenes... Thank you for the great review
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

I may not personally venture to read the book but the combination of romance, mystery and Christian influence I think would definitely draw people toward the book. Great review!
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

Forgiveness takes a lot of strength and I like that the author portrayed it beautifully. The review was insightful and I really appreciate your honest rating. Great job! :)
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

Great review! I just finished this book and love it! Mrs. Lilly was my favorite character, because she was brave when she needed to be, and gently as well. I too liked the mystery around Levi's money.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

Thank you for an honest review. I just did a review of this book as well. There were some words I came across as misspelled words, but I brushed them off as their dialect. May I have to ask which character you wanted to know more about? The story took a tremendous change of plot in the second part. I really enjoyed reading your review. It's interesting to read another person's opinion in the same book.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”