Official Review: The Blue Gate by LL Fox

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: The Blue Gate by LL Fox

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Blue Gate" by LL Fox.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Blue Gate by LL Fox is a romance novel set in an Amish community in rural Tennessee. Senta Miller is the only child of Elijah and Sarah, and the family lives a simple life on their dairy farm. Just before her seventeenth birthday, Senta is thrilled when she wins the annual blackberry cobbler competition. Then, shortly after attending her first singing where Amish teens gather in hopes of courting, a tragedy affects her family. Senta must place her dreams of courtship and having her own family on hold to care for her parents. As months turn into years, Senta's hope begins to fade, but everything changes when her path crosses with handsome Jerrick Douglas. Jerrick isn't Amish, and Senta must make some difficult choices. Can Senta finally have the future she once dreamed about or will Bishop Yost interfere?

My favorite aspect of the book was learning about the Amish tradition of the blue gate and how the author tied it into the book's ending. I won't reveal any spoilers, but I will say that I wasn't previously aware of this particular practice and found it a rather charming custom. I also enjoyed the portions of the book that described Amish life on the farm including the preparation of homemade cheese.

I think many readers may share my curiosity about the customs and traditions of the Amish. Fans of Amish romances are likely familiar with author Beverly Lewis, who grew up in Lancaster which is considered the heart of the Pennsylvania Dutch community. I've read several of her carefully-researched books myself. However, The Blue Gate is not the typically chaste Amish romance novel. Since the book's synopsis contains few details about the plot, I am cautious about revealing any spoilers. Suffice it say, that those who enjoy books related to the Amish community may be disappointed, and I feel the author dropped the ball regarding research.

I also found the character development disappointing. When the book begins, Senta is a strong young woman with her future ahead of her. After an unexpected tragedy affects their family, she is committed to supporting her parents, but readers will relate to her disappointment of putting plans for her own family on hold. Then Senta meets Jerrick. While a certain amount of insecurity is understandable due to her inexperience, Senta's constant need for his approval seems inconsistent with her overall character. Likewise, I was irritated by Jerrick's tendency to speak to Senta as though she was a child.

Though the book was exceptionally edited, due to the weak character development and inconsistencies related to Amish lifestyles, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. It will appeal to readers who appreciate happily-ever-after romances. On the other hand, due to sexual content, I would not recommend it readers who tend to enjoy conservative Amish romances.

The Blue Gate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I'm not so into romance novels, but I do read those ones that are well-written. I'll check this one out because I'm a little bit curious about the Amish tradition. Thanks for yet another detailed review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

My favorite aspect of the book was learning about the Amish tradition of the blue gate and how the author tied it into the book's ending.

I always love books that introduce me to new things but I'm kinda skeptical when you said that the character development in this book disappointed you.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm a bit confused by this story. Most Amish tales are not very sexually explicit as they are a very conservative bunch. That's just odd. I can kind of understand Senta's character due to their traditions, but I still probably won't read it. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

T_stone wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 02:14 I'm not so into romance novels, but I do read those ones that are well-written. I'll check this one out because I'm a little bit curious about the Amish tradition. Thanks for yet another detailed review.
Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

nonamer_miss wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 06:26 My favorite aspect of the book was learning about the Amish tradition of the blue gate and how the author tied it into the book's ending.

I always love books that introduce me to new things but I'm kinda skeptical when you said that the character development in this book disappointed you.
I understand. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 09:40 I'm a bit confused by this story. Most Amish tales are not very sexually explicit as they are a very conservative bunch. That's just odd. I can kind of understand Senta's character due to their traditions, but I still probably won't read it. Thanks, though.
Exactly. The sexual content wasn't an integral factor related to Senta's conflict.
Keslerae
Currently Reading: Rionsod
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keslerae.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Keslerae »

Thank you so much for that review, I enjoy a good romance but do dislike explicit sexual content. I probably won't read this book due to that so thank you for that informative review. I do hope to read more reviews from you in the future.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Keslerae wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 15:58 Thank you so much for that review, I enjoy a good romance but do dislike explicit sexual content. I probably won't read this book due to that so thank you for that informative review. I do hope to read more reviews from you in the future.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment. :tiphat:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The Amish are interesting people; it would be good to learn about their traditions. However, the book seems to have veered off course somehow. I hope the Amish won't feel blue about this.

Thanks for your engaging review.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I was excited to read this book until I got to the latter half of your review. Much like unrealistic television series plots, I believe I would be able to block out the lack of research on the Amish community. Unfortunately, I can't turn a blind eye to the poor character development. I've already read too many books lacking similar circumstances.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I have noticed that many contemporary authors like to use the setting of an Amish community and then deliver a novel that doesn't follow the Amish lifestyle. I prefer the Beverly Lewis style of writing that you mentioned. Thanks for your insightful review.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Just when I thought that I finally found an Amish romance book to read, it just isn't my type. Thanks for the informative review!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”