Official Review: Who Is She by shalom kolontarov

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: Who Is She by shalom kolontarov

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Who Is She" by shalom kolontarov.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Who Is She, Shalom Kolontarov gives a fictional account of the romance between Sam and Emma who come from different social classes. Sam was the son of Mr. King and Grace. His parents were very wealthy, but they hardly ever spent time with him. Their maid, Mrs. Nanny, took up the responsibility of raising and providing emotional care to Sam. Later, Sam's parents made the decision to ship 6-year-old Sam off to boarding school. Sam returned home 12 years later. At that point, Mrs. Nanny had been fired by Grace. The next time Sam would see Mrs. Nanny was at his 18th birthday party where he first met Mrs. Nanny's granddaughter, Emma. From that point, a romantic relationship began to develop between Sam and Emma. However, Mr. King didn't approve of his son being involved with someone that he saw as lower class. Could Sam and Emma's love withstand the tests that came from Mr. King?

Romance is my favourite genre. So, before picking up this book, after reading the description, I felt that I had a good idea of what to expect. However, while I was intrigued by the plot, the book's execution disappointed me. Sadly, I have to rate Who Is She 1 out of 4 stars.

The first thing I disliked about this book was the editing and organization. Before I read up to five pages of the book, I found over 20 errors. The book was almost devoid of punctuation marks. There were also many instances of misspelled words. An example of what to expect in this book with regards to editing can be seen in the sentence: "And they all leave except for one is still waving to Sam and Emma notice it and she pushes her but she doesn’t fall continues waving to him and goes inside the tenth as well." This made navigating through the book very difficult for me. Inconsistent spacing was also a distracting feature of the book.

The only thing that kept me reading was the plot. The author focused mostly on developing the plot. However, this affected character development greatly. There was no description of any of the characters. This prevented me from understanding any of them and their motives. I was just curious to find out how the story would end. The author also frequently mixed up character names.

Overall, I didn't enjoy reading Who Is She. I only enjoyed reading the poem Sam recited at a party, but the poems didn't do much to change my opinion of the book. The book's ending was also sudden and underwhelming. I would not recommend this book to anyone. Poor editing and organization, poor character development, and an underwhelming end to the story justify my rating of this book.

Who Is She
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

prospero360 wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 08:37 An example of what to expect in this book with regards to editing can be seen in the sentence: "And they all leave except for one is still waving to Sam and Emma notice it and she pushes her but she doesn’t fall continues waving to him and goes inside the tenth as well."
Wow.
I don't think I would have persevered if the writing was that bad - so well done!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I had a hard time reading the example sentence provided in this review. If the whole book is similar in writing style and lack of editing, I would have a hard time being able to finish it. It takes a lot of structured development and editing time to create the perfect mix of detail. I don’t like an overabundance of detail in the books I read, but I can see how too little detail would also detract from a story. This sounds like a difficult book to complete. Great job on sticking with it!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The example sentence is horrible. I'm sad to say, but there it is. I definitely don't want to read this one. It's really too bad as it seems like it couple be developed into something good.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

It is a shame that there were that many errors. The example definitely justified your score, and I hope the author works on those things. Thanks for your review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your first paragraph really had me getting interested in this book. But the sample sentence you cited burst that bubble! Thanks for your honest review of this book. Hope your next book is more satisfying!
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

You persevered to read up the end despite the errors. Thank you for the honest review, I guess I would pass this book then.
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

It must have been a hard ride for you judging by the example sentence you cited. I think writers have good ideas, themes whatever they call it but oftentimes they fail to execute them just like what you said in this particular book.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I admire the romance relationship between Sam and Emma. Love knows no social status. Blessings!
Captain_Morgan23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-captain-morgan23.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Captain_Morgan23 »

20+ errors in the first five pages? Ouch. The author clearly needed an editor
Kiabell_reads4
Currently Reading: Choas
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiabell-reads4.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni

Post by Kiabell_reads4 »

Romance is also my favorite genre. I try to make sure there is always at least a little bit of romance going on in any fiction work I read. It's sucks that you didn't get to enjoy what could have been an exceptional love story because of the grammar. I hate when that happens. This is why I see editors as heaven sent. Regardless, I enjoyed reading your review. You did a good job justifying your rating.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”