Official Review: Who Is She by shalom kolontarov

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing a single book or single series in each topic thread. Please set the title of the topic thread as the name of the book or series, and preferably include also the author's name if it fits. If you want to discuss a book in its entirety, i.e. you don't mind spoilers, please also include the word spoilers in the subject to warn users who may not want to read spoilers. If a thread does not have a clear spoiler warning, then it is against the forum rules to post spoilers in it. If you are an author or publisher, you may not start a topic about your own book; instead please click here to learn how to get your book or ebook reviewed.
prospero360
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 144
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero360.html
Latest Review: Almost Mortal by Christopher Leibig

Official Review: Who Is She by shalom kolontarov

Post by prospero360 » 04 Jan 2019, 08:37

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Who Is She" by shalom kolontarov.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Who Is She, Shalom Kolontarov gives a fictional account of the romance between Sam and Emma who come from different social classes. Sam was the son of Mr. King and Grace. His parents were very wealthy, but they hardly ever spent time with him. Their maid, Mrs. Nanny, took up the responsibility of raising and providing emotional care to Sam. Later, Sam's parents made the decision to ship 6-year-old Sam off to boarding school. Sam returned home 12 years later. At that point, Mrs. Nanny had been fired by Grace. The next time Sam would see Mrs. Nanny was at his 18th birthday party where he first met Mrs. Nanny's granddaughter, Emma. From that point, a romantic relationship began to develop between Sam and Emma. However, Mr. King didn't approve of his son being involved with someone that he saw as lower class. Could Sam and Emma's love withstand the tests that came from Mr. King?

Romance is my favourite genre. So, before picking up this book, after reading the description, I felt that I had a good idea of what to expect. However, while I was intrigued by the plot, the book's execution disappointed me. Sadly, I have to rate Who Is She 1 out of 4 stars.

The first thing I disliked about this book was the editing and organization. Before I read up to five pages of the book, I found over 20 errors. The book was almost devoid of punctuation marks. There were also many instances of misspelled words. An example of what to expect in this book with regards to editing can be seen in the sentence: "And they all leave except for one is still waving to Sam and Emma notice it and she pushes her but she doesn’t fall continues waving to him and goes inside the tenth as well." This made navigating through the book very difficult for me. Inconsistent spacing was also a distracting feature of the book.

The only thing that kept me reading was the plot. The author focused mostly on developing the plot. However, this affected character development greatly. There was no description of any of the characters. This prevented me from understanding any of them and their motives. I was just curious to find out how the story would end. The author also frequently mixed up character names.

Overall, I didn't enjoy reading Who Is She. I only enjoyed reading the poem Sam recited at a party, but the poems didn't do much to change my opinion of the book. The book's ending was also sudden and underwhelming. I would not recommend this book to anyone. Poor editing and organization, poor character development, and an underwhelming end to the story justify my rating of this book.

Who Is She
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!

Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 45
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 127
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f**k
Bookshelf Size: 330
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Me and My Sparrow by Yvonne Valle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bianka Walter » 05 Jan 2019, 03:47

prospero360 wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 08:37
An example of what to expect in this book with regards to editing can be seen in the sentence: "And they all leave except for one is still waving to Sam and Emma notice it and she pushes her but she doesn’t fall continues waving to him and goes inside the tenth as well."
Wow.
I don't think I would have persevered if the writing was that bad - so well done!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jessacardinal » 05 Jan 2019, 11:16

I had a hard time reading the example sentence provided in this review. If the whole book is similar in writing style and lack of editing, I would have a hard time being able to finish it. It takes a lot of structured development and editing time to create the perfect mix of detail. I don’t like an overabundance of detail in the books I read, but I can see how too little detail would also detract from a story. This sounds like a difficult book to complete. Great job on sticking with it!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: The Fire Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by kandscreeley » 06 Jan 2019, 09:23

The example sentence is horrible. I'm sad to say, but there it is. I definitely don't want to read this one. It's really too bad as it seems like it couple be developed into something good.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

melissy370
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 » 06 Jan 2019, 15:49

It is a shame that there were that many errors. The example definitely justified your score, and I hope the author works on those things. Thanks for your review.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: A Light in the Window
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Hologram Deception by Ed Sheehan

Post by kdstrack » 06 Jan 2019, 19:29

Your first paragraph really had me getting interested in this book. But the sample sentence you cited burst that bubble! Thanks for your honest review of this book. Hope your next book is more satisfying!

Anthony__
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Anthony__ » 06 Jan 2019, 20:05

You persevered to read up the end despite the errors. Thank you for the honest review, I guess I would pass this book then.

nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by nonamer_miss » 10 Jan 2019, 03:10

It must have been a hard ride for you judging by the example sentence you cited. I think writers have good ideas, themes whatever they call it but oftentimes they fail to execute them just like what you said in this particular book.

Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lily White Lie by Connie Chappell

Post by Sweet Psamy » 11 Jan 2019, 08:46

I admire the romance relationship between Sam and Emma. Love knows no social status. Blessings!

Captain_Morgan23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-captain-morgan23.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Captain_Morgan23 » 12 Jan 2019, 18:44

20+ errors in the first five pages? Ouch. The author clearly needed an editor

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”