Official Review: Victorian Turnabout

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: Victorian Turnabout

Post by lesler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Victorian Turnabout" by D. Dolman Heffington.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Victorian Turnabout by D. Dolman Heffington, 18-year-old orphan Sarah Dietrich is undecided on what she wants to do with her life. Set after the Civil War in West Virginia, Sarah lives with her Aunt and Uncle in their affluent farm home, being part of Charleston high society, with debutante balls and the like. Sarah's cousin Emerald is two years younger and envies Sarah's reputation around the community. As Emerald's brother Worth is still not back from the war, the two girls struggle to work together to maintain the family farm and fight for the admiration of the same gentlemen callers.

Upon learning of her aunt's terrible expectation of her, Sarah has decided to leave the farm and make a life for herself. While encountering a dangerous situation and determined to save her cousin Emerald's virtue, Sarah becomes a fugitive on the run. Upon her journey to Indiana, Sarah meets an array of interesting characters, and her life is far from dull. Will Sarah ever see her family again? Will they ever find her? Will Worth make it back from the war? Only time will tell in this stunning historical novel.

I adored this book and loved Sarah and her tenacious spirit. There are a lot of characters in this book, but the author does a great job introducing them thoroughly and slowly. The author is knowledgeable about this time period, and I loved learning about how a high-class Victorian society works in the late 1860s. I especially loved the personification of Robin, who was Sarah's horse on her journey westward. Life in this time was not easy, and this book made me feel like I was right there alongside Sarah.

I noticed no grammatical errors in this book, but there was an excessive use of commas. This distracted me from the storyline, and the book could use professional editing. This book was an excellent mix of adventure, romance, and suspense as I enjoyed every storyline I came across. This book was a quick read, with the reader being able to finish this book in an afternoon. I can guarantee that once the reader picks up this book, they will not want to put it down.

I give Victorian Turnabout 4 out of 4 stars, for its excellent storyline, wonderful characters, and vivid imagery. I especially enjoyed the romantic elements to this book. I recommend this book for any history lover looking for their next Civil War era historical fiction.

Victorian Turnabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lesler's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. Sarah sounds fierce with a great spirit. I do enjoy books set in the civil war era as long as they are well done. I'll have to put this on my list. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

This book is categorized under the Romance genre, but after reading your review, I am more interested in the journey and the character of Sarah. The high-class Victorian backdrop is a plus, so I'm considering checking this book out to refresh myself from the C/T/M/H overdose. Thank you for this lovely review.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

An excellent mix of adventure, romance, and suspense? Sounds an intriguing read! I would love learning about how a high-class Victorian society works in the late 1860, too! I will add this book to my TBR list. However, it is a pity for the excessive use of commas. Thank you for the well written review! :techie-studyingbrown:
sbanks147
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbanks147.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by sbanks147 »

This book sounds really interesting, I definitely want to read it!
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I am not usually interested in reading pieces from this period in time. I am, however, interested in this particular story after having a quick peak into Sarah's adventure filled journey. I will keep this book in mind for a future read.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Your description of the storyline of this book as excellent, makes me want to read it. nice review.
Caleb Oppong
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Caleb Oppong »

Love the bend of romance and advantage... Showed it to my friend and she was definitely into it.. She completed before i did. I just love the storyline. Thanks for such a great book

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”