Official Review: I'm The Killers Sweetheart

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: I'm The Killers Sweetheart

Post by Vscholz »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I'm The Killers Sweetheart" by Avery Collins.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Jon-Luc is taken into custody under suspicion of murdering his girlfriend and baby, police officer Jay-Ma feels sparks of electricity every time they touch. Upon his initial release, they pursue a lust-filled romance. Will Jay-Ma be able to hide the relationship and maintain her position as an officer of the law?

I'm the Killers Sweetheart [sic] by Avery Collins is a short story chronicling the whirlwind relationship between a police officer and a criminal. The first chapter details what lead Jon-Luc to murder his girlfriend and her child; the remainder of the book goes into the thoughts and actions of Jon-Luc and Jay-Ma. The story mostly focuses on the romance between the couple and spends little time on the actual crime.

I liked the alternating points of view. It allows the reader to experience the story along with both protagonists. Even though it is not expertly written, it is an easy and fast read, making it perfect for an afternoon read. There is a sex scene, which is perhaps the best written part of the book (aside from some of the adjectives, which are discussed later). I appreciated that this scene was not overly gratuitous, making it almost explicit without going into too much detail.

I disliked most of the story. In addition to the several editing errors (noticeably the use of “rumish” instead of “rummage”) and repetition of words (“slobbery” to describe their kisses), I had a problem with the characters. Jay-Ma immediately rushes into a relationship with an accused murderer, something I feel a reputable police officer would not do. Her ensuing actions are also questionable, especially her solution to allowing her relationship with Jon-Luc to continue. I was also disappointed in the lack of character development. The story would be improved if it were longer and explored more of the issues Jon-Luc has aside from briefly mentioning the medications he takes. I would have also liked more details about the murder or at least more clarification on how the couple followed through with their plan to be together.

I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars because of the editing errors as well as how quickly the plot moves. I feel as though there is more to the story, especially because the copy provided for this review is imprinted with “DRAFT” on all pages. If I were to recommend this book, it would be to people looking for a quick read featuring a sex scene. For me to refer others to this book, it would need several rounds of editing.

I'm The Killers Sweetheart
View: on Bookshelves

Like Vscholz's review? Post a comment saying so!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, this isn't my genre to begin with. Plus with all the issues you mention, it's definitely not one I would pick up. I agree that any good police officer would not rush into a relationship with someone accused of murder. That seems quite unrealistic. Thanks for the review. I pass.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
TJanowski23
Currently Reading: Winning the battle against sin
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjanowski23.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by TJanowski23 »

This isn't my genre either. However it's the editing issues that always turn me off of a book so I'll pass too. Thanks for the review!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This story seems like those stories in which you can enjoy romance and crime stories in it. It's quite unfortunate it is poorly written. Thanks for the sincere review.
Last edited by T_stone on 09 Jan 2019, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

kandscreeley wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 09:31 Well, this isn't my genre to begin with. Plus with all the issues you mention, it's definitely not one I would pick up. I agree that any good police officer would not rush into a relationship with someone accused of murder. That seems quite unrealistic. Thanks for the review. I pass.
If there was more of a buildup, and if it were better edited, it would be so much better.

Thanks for commenting! It is always a pleasure to see your name on here!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

TJanowski23 wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 18:22 This isn't my genre either. However it's the editing issues that always turn me off of a book so I'll pass too. Thanks for the review!
I don't mind taking chances outside of my preferences, but I'm often burned. Those who don't pay attention to errors would enjoy it just fine, I think. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

T_stone wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 18:24 This story seems like those stories inb which you can enjoy romance and crime stories in it. It's quite unfortunate it is poorly written. Thanks for the sincere review.
The romance needed more time to develop. The crime was also interesting but the story is just poorly executed. Hopefully the author continues writing so she can improve! Thanks for the comment!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

It's hard to imagine that the author used the word "slobbery" to describe kisses! I enjoyed your candid review.
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

Cecilia_L wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 12:49 It's hard to imagine that the author used the word "slobbery" to describe kisses! I enjoyed your candid review.
It's a bit like a teenager's first ever kiss. Definitely cringeworthy. Thanks for commenting!
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I think just hearing that they repeatedly used the word "slobbery" to describe their kisses says it all. Not my genre anyway, but I think the premise of a respected police officer (female or male) rushing into a relationship with an accused murderer is just unrealistic, even for fiction. I could probably overlook the editing errors but I think I have to give this one a pass. I'm glad I read your review before even thinking about reading the book. Thanks!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

A detective story with an explosive romance is the bomb. I want to read this book.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Plot is very unrealistic and absurd. I will surely avoid this one. Thanks for this honest review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

Kelyn wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 02:30 I think just hearing that they repeatedly used the word "slobbery" to describe their kisses says it all. Not my genre anyway, but I think the premise of a respected police officer (female or male) rushing into a relationship with an accused murderer is just unrealistic, even for fiction. I could probably overlook the editing errors but I think I have to give this one a pass. I'm glad I read your review before even thinking about reading the book. Thanks!
Sometimes passion is... not pretty. It isn't what the media portrays. But entertainment is an escape, and slobbery is definitely a way to pull people out of the fantasy. Thanks for commenting!
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

Sweet Psamy wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 07:48 A detective story with an explosive romance is the bomb. I want to read this book.
It was a quick read. I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by!
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 12:13 Plot is very unrealistic and absurd. I will surely avoid this one. Thanks for this honest review.
I could have dealt with the absurdity if it were better written. It would be interesting to see a revised version. Thanks for your comment!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”