Review by Edwardsoi1213 -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Edwardsoi1213
Currently Reading: Real Principals Have No Class
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edwardsoi1213.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Review by Edwardsoi1213 -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Edwardsoi1213 » 20 Dec 2018, 15:57

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Let me begin by appreciating and applauding any individual reading this review that has gone through any type of abuse and opened up about it. To anyone currently going through the abuse, I pray that you gain the courage and strength to overcome this predicament. Do not be shy to seek help from appropriate authorities or share with someone you trust. This book might not give you the confidence to tackle your personal situation but I feel it will some way better your position. Physical and mental abuse is a severe concern that occurs daily in every society: a very big wrongdoing that needs to be eradicated completely in our livelihoods. I speak of abuse so intensely because it was the only thing ringing in my head through the entire read.

Heartaches by H. M. Irwing, a quite daunting, entangled, romantic story that sees Anna Simmons a youthful, shy woman from the resident vocational College and a bulky charming Rafael Luis Brown, a just returned US Army soldier. The writer did well to convey an image of the characters, they both had experienced a lot in their different vicinities and have authentic diverse personalities.

Rafe had just left the army. He had just arrived from his last trip in Syria and resided with his Aunt Bella in Melbourne, as well as his adorable dog Bruno. Both of his parents had tragically passed when he was younger which haunted him deeply as such he would still get nightmares from time to time. Anna is an anti-social young girl who didn’t have many friends in college. She had a boyfriend named Matt, one of the most handsome boys in the institution who came from a well-known family. She felt like she didn’t deserve him and would do anything and everything for him. Sadly, all of her giving came back to bite her in the end when Matt betrayed her in the foulest way. She didn’t know what to do. It was her first boyfriend, her first anything which made it more exceptional which made her feel very sad.

Rafe and Anna cross paths when Jane insists that Anna should attend or rather accompany her to a family gathering. Anna was resenting attending this social event. She had been in a foul mood, locked in her room for more than a week now not wanting to interact with some family members. Rafe is awaiting them outside, Bella had arranged for Jane to be picked up by Rafe. Jane and Bella were very good friends. Anna walks to the car greets the bulky man and is forced to sit next to him at the front passenger seat. During the whole event Rafe noticed she was distressed and tried to spark a conversation, at first it was difficult, Anna was certainly not interested in small talk with anyone especially a man she barely knew. It didn’t stop Rafe; he remarked her distress. Being the military man he is, he did not back down but he’s persistence made an incision and Anna ended up spilling a lot to a man she had just met. They became close and very fond of each other, again the writer delivers this interaction very well. Most, if not all of this book is from Anna’s perspective which could be a problem to some, I personally would want to know what the other characters thoughts and assumptions in different scenarios.

The book displays about the importance of having a confidant, someone you can share with very revealing and outrageous things. It was also a good example of, “you never know until you try” idiom that you will never know what fruit you might bear with just a small step or push. I really liked it because it teaches you to gain confidence and spill to someone about anything, not only in this case but with other aspects of life, talking to a girl you were anxious to talk with, applying for a job that you might not meet specific requirements and so on and so forth. Although, I thought there was quite a lot of violence and the writer fixated on sex scenes. In my opinion, he spent a lot of time describing every graphic detail during the intercourse scenes. On a positive note, I found the book editing to be good didn’t notice any significant errors.

Overall, I really relished this book and will definitely follow up on the subsequent books to come, I feel this book is very important for victims of rape and speaks volumes to the male gender to the importance of consent. I would give it a 2 out of 4 a satisfactory book with good information, couldn’t get a 3 I feel l need closure with this story hence the sequel. I feel the book should appeal to everyone really, but could to Parents, Guardians and romantics.

Heartaches
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Edwardsoi1213's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”