Official Review: Cowboy Dreams by Patricia L. Powell

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Official Review: Cowboy Dreams by Patricia L. Powell

Post by AA1495 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cowboy Dreams" by Patricia L. Powell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Official Review - Cowboy Dreams by Patricia L. Powell

Clay Gibson believed that he had found the love of his life. He was about to propose to her, when he found out that she was cheating on him with his friend Logan. When love comes knocking at his door again, will he be ready for it? What happens when his ex-girlfriend Nikki decides that she wants another chance with Clay?

Tricia Perkins has always been cautious of falling in love. She has never had a boyfriend, and has never been kissed. Her Asperger's Syndrome makes her socially awkward and the focus of many bullies. When she meets Clay, she tries to resist his charms to the best of her ability. However, she cannot deny that there is a spark between them. Will she be willing to put her heart at risk?

As a huge fan of the Romance genre, I was looking forward to reading this book. Having read the synopsis and reviews, I had a lot of expectations from the book. While some of them were met, I was left slightly disappointed at the end.

One of the best parts about the book is how easy it is to read. The language used and the sentence structures are very simple. Further, there is one main plot and a few major characters, and the author has not complicated the book with unnecessary characters or sub-plots. There was no instance where I was confused about the content or had to go back to the previous chapters to get some clarity, which for me, was a refreshing and welcome change.

I found Tricia to be a decent protagonist. While I was hoping for the best for her, I did not feel emotionally connected to her. When I read romance books, I prefer strong, stubborn and independent female protagonists who will fight for whatever they want. While Tricia was not particularly weak, she was indecisive and slightly gullible. I was a little disappointed in her characterization.

On the other hand, I liked Clay’s stubbornness and perseverance. He knew what he wanted and would go to any length to achieve it. This was a quality that I admired. However, while he was supposed to be a celebrity, nothing about the way he presented himself portrayed that. For most parts of the book, I had forgotten that he was famous. Further, while this was a deliberate attempt from the author, Clay’s informal language (such as “ya” instead of “you” or “goin” instead of “going”) irritated me after a while.

What I liked least about the book was the pace of the plot. Even after the halfway mark, Tricia and Clay had not begun a proper relationship. To be honest, the first half of the book seemed like the first chapter, wherein he was pursuing her and she was conflicted. I was always hoping for something more concrete to develop.

The book seems well formatted and edited. There were no obvious errors that interrupted my flow of reading. The transition between chapters was smooth. In terms of formatting, there was enough spacing to make the book a comfortable read. Most internal thoughts of characters’ were in italics and the punctuation was mostly proper.

I would rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. While I liked how easy the book was to read, I was slightly disappointed in the female protagonist and the pace of the plot. If you are a fan of the romance genre, and are looking for a relaxing read on a lazy afternoon, Cowboy Dreams by Patricia L. Powell is the book for you! It is a book that you can read in one or two sittings and it will effectively divert your mind or pass your time.

Cowboy Dreams
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AA1495's review? Post a comment saying so!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds like a great romance. I like that the characters aren't perfect. Thanks for the review!
:tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Every once in a while, an easy-to-read book is a good change of pace. However, due to the slow pacing and the fact that romance isn't my thing, I'll pass on this one. I'm glad it was somewhat enjoyable for you, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I wonder how the fact that she has Asperger’s is portrayed in the book? It would be interesting to see how the author develops her character in light of this. All in all, it sounds like an easy read and to get 3 stars it must be fairly good. Thanks for your comments.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

The book sounds great. I love cowboy novels, so this book is right up my alley. Great review! I am looking forward to reading this book.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”