Official Review: Seventeen Days by Linda Griffin

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: Seventeen Days by Linda Griffin

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Seventeen Days" by Linda Griffin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Seventeen Days by Linda Griffin is a romance story that revolves around Jenna Scott and Enrique "Rick" Alvarez. Following her divorce from Patrick, Jenna relocates to the house inherited from her grandfather in a small town, San Ignacio, to start afresh. The house is old and in need of repair. On the recommendation of her neighbour, Rosalie, Jenna acquires Rick's painting and carpentry services. Jenna is attracted to Rick, but she develops the I don't know what to say syndrome whenever Rick is around her. However, her connection to Rick's son, Daniel, helps her to move past her fears. Just as Jenna starts to consider a relationship with Rick, a tourist is murdered and rumours that he's the killer spread across the town. Can Jenna move forward with Rick in spite of these rumours?

Picking up this book, I expected a lot of emotions and twists. I also hoped it would be a little bit steamy. My hopes for a steamy story weren't fulfilled but I'm satisfied with the overall content of the book. The story takes place during the Gulf War, which adds another dimension to the story and creates a stronger sense of reality for the reader. The author begins each chapter with a news headline on the war, and she shows how the war would have affected people in that time through her characters.

The author slowly introduces the reader to the romance part of the story as Jenna struggles to find words to express herself around Rick. Rick didn't seem romantically interested in Jenna at that point, so I was caught off guard by Rick making the first move. I enjoyed the interactions between a few of the characters. The dialogue between characters flowed easily and was well written. The author's description of events and emotions was another feature I liked, even though she held back in writing sex scenes in a bid to not make them too graphic.

There wasn't much to dislike about Seventeen Days. However, I felt that some of the characters lacked depth, especially Rick. He was painted as the perfect guy with no flaws and weaknesses. The book is professionally edited and well organized. Grammatical errors were few and far between, and this helped me navigate my way through the book easily.

Overall, I enjoyed reading Seventeen Days. It was engaging enough to prevent me from putting the book down till I finished. The suspense that came with the murder of the tourist made things even more interesting. Seventeen Days would appeal to romance lovers. However, this book isn't for those who like steamy scenes going together with romance stories. Fans of crime fiction will also be interested in this book, as they'll have fun trying to figure out who murdered the tourist from clues the author provided. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It was really hard to not give this book maximum stars, but my issues with Rick's character helped me make the decision.

Seventeen Days
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

A man with no flaws or weaknesses, sounds like a romance novel to me ;)
I love the combination of the romance and mystery genres. The lack of steamy scenes doesn't upset me a bit. I'm just wondering if the romance came off as too cheesy and how much of the story is romance versus crime fiction.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I am not always a fan of romance and mystery together, but I'm willing to give this novel a shot. Sometimes the mystery can overshadow the romance and vice versa, it's hard to get that balance between the two. I don't like characters that seem too perfect because it isn't very realistic. Thanks for the great review and summary!
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

It is a bit annoying when an author portrays a 'perfect person'. Not only is the character less believable, but the opportunity to develop him to his potential is impaired. A great review, and I'm glad you enjoyed the book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

When you were first describing it, I thought it was just going to be quite boring. I'm glad that the author added some suspense with the death of the tourist. Still, romance isn't really my genre. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A good romance novel with a touch of crime fiction seems like an interesting read. I think I'll give this one a shot. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

It sounds good. The added sences of the war bring a lot to the book, but I don't think this a book for me. Great review.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

So why is it called Seventeen Days? I like the plot. This story sounds fun to read. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 19:56 It is a bit annoying when an author portrays a 'perfect person'. Not only is the character less believable, but the opportunity to develop him to his potential is impaired. A great review, and I'm glad you enjoyed the book.
I was annoyed by that too. It spoilt the character for me.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 00:23 So why is it called Seventeen Days? I like the plot. This story sounds fun to read. Thank you for the review!
That's a question I haven't thought of until you asked it. And now that I think of it I have no idea why it's called Seventeen Days.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:

Post by Okafor Prosper »

kfwilson6 wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 11:06 A man with no flaws or weaknesses, sounds like a romance novel to me ;)
I love the combination of the romance and mystery genres. The lack of steamy scenes doesn't upset me a bit. I'm just wondering if the romance came off as too cheesy and how much of the story is romance versus crime fiction.
No, the romance wasn't cheesy, and it was more romance than crime fiction. I'll say 75% romance.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Though Rick's not-so-well developed character will put me off a little, I will give this book a try, mainly because it comprises romance. Great review!
Seun419
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Seun419 »

I occasionally enjoy romance novel but only when they are perfectly executed. The lack of depth in Rick's character ensures that I probably won't enjoy this.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”