Official Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen

Post by mumoscar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Forbidden Someday" by M. Acen.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This romance novel revolves around Carter and Daren, who are childhood friends and have been going to the same school in Midtown. Carter's mother, Linda Topps, and Daren's mother, Terra Nova, grew up together and their two families ended up becoming close friends.

When his mother died, Daren lived with his father for a while, but he got kicked out to live with his uncle when his father discovered he was gay. His uncle, then moved to California and the Topps adopted him. Carter had been hitting on Daren on several occasions, and Daren's move to their house made it easier for their relationship to thrive. Much to his delight, Carter learned that his parents didn't seem to have a problem with his relationship with Daren.

Carter is the captain of their school football team, and he doesn't like Daren being in the musicals as he thinks it's crap and lame. As a result, Daren decides to keep secrets from Carter to avoid offending him. Thus, Carter doesn't know that Daren is the student musical director, and also doesn't know Daren has won several awards before as a movie cast, just to mention a few. Forbidden Someday by M. Acen takes the reader by storm as the romance unfolds, and Carter gets to know Daren's secrets one by one.

Every paragraph in this book is knit together in a simple language that appeals to all readers, although the readers will come across some slang terms along the way. The paragraphs alternate from Daren Topps to Carter Topps with tales that seek to gratify the reader's appetite. I liked how the romance is mixed with other themes like sports and art. The sports and art includes football, musicals, baseball, and basketball. Since Daren ended up being famous, I kept waiting to see whether he would switch preferences and choose a girl from school, but unfortunately, I wasn't lucky.

Any book with super character development is a pet for every avid reader. The characters in this novel are so charming that the reader feels lonely when they leave, proving that the author has a good score on character development. My favourite character was Jenny who made Carter so jealous that he nearly jumped on stage when she was dancing with Daren. She even went ahead to ask Daren for a date, since her boyfriend was busy studying for exams. I loved her intelligence.

Appealing as it is, this book didn't go without flaws. It had so many misplaced and missing commas, spelling errors and wrongly used words in almost every paragraph. It was tedious reading through with words like "yours" written as "your's," and "year's" written as "years." There were also words written without a hyphen like in "after school activity," and "last minute freedom." "After school" in this case should have been "after-school," and "last minute" should have been "last-minute." In one of the paragraphs dated Wednesday, November 10. 4:28 p.m., it showed that Daren Topps should be the one speaking but, in the text, Carter Topps is the one speaking. This book deserved a better rating, but the errors let it down. So, I rate it 2 out of 4 stars.

Though the storyline is intriguing with the superb character development, I felt the characters had extensive backstories that somewhat took the beauty of the tale away. Since the author wants to make this book a series, I suggest less of the backstories and some editing, to make the book more appealing.

Forbidden Someday
View: on Bookshelves

Like mumoscar's review? Post a comment saying so!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

That's nice that there are a lot of themes mixed in the book. It's a shame about the grammar errors. Great review!
:tiphat:
Marley Faith
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marley-faith.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Marley Faith »

Great review, I think the author will edit his next publication well. The story sounds interesting thanks to the review but I'm not a fun of gay romance.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Once again I find it interesting that the proofreading is skipped on so many novels that could be great. Either way, this one is not one that I would enjoy. I'm going to skip it, but I'm glad it wasn't horrible for you.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

The errors might slow down the book, but I am intrigued. I can't wait to read this book. Great review.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

The whole situation with Daren and Carter living together, both being gay, and ending up in a relationship is too far-fetched to me. Especially since the Topps didn't seem concerned about the relationship building in their house amongst two teenagers (I'm assuming, but not much older if they are still in school).
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

It is very disappointing when great books are brought down by editing errors. Nevertheless, this book sounds like a well-crafted romance with complex characters. Thanks for the review!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Random incorrect apostrophes are everywhere I look lately, and I'm not sure why a book that got as far through the editing process as this one should have, has all these issues? Thanks for the review!
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

The title really grabbed my attention.
This seems like a book that addresses many themes.
Thank you for the grear review.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

It is not yet late, with a rewriting and a correction of the grammatical errors, the book can be great again, it is my kind of read but with such errors, i doubt if i would go for it, thank you for this review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”