Official Review: Electric Impulse by Angel Hilson

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Official Review: Electric Impulse by Angel Hilson

Post by Sicily Joy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Electric Impulse" by Angel Hilson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Aria Davenport thinks she has everything under control, She is graduating soon and her relationship with her boyfriend Sebastian is getting serious. Then, she is faced with the realization that Sebastian might not be the man she thought he was. At the center of her life being turned upside down is Phoenix Prescott, a real estate mogul, whom Aria meets while working at a nightclub. A heated romance quickly develops between them which causes Aria to question her past relationships and her buried insecurities. Will Phoenix be her dream come true or her downfall?

I found Electric Impulse: Love, Life & Sex by Angel Hilson to be quite fast-paced for a romance novel. The relationship drama starts off quickly. Right away, Aria learns ugly truths about Sebastian and his family. As a result, she has to confront her childhood abandonment issues. Once Phoenix enters her life, Aria is taken on various new adventures from skydiving to wild parties in Miami.

The book is quite sexually explicit and the romance scenes are written well. I appreciate that Hilson’s writing style for the sex scenes isn’t cheesy or immature. I also liked that Hilson promoted safe sex. The sex scenes are not only sensual, but they also teach the reader about Aria's and Phoenix’s personalities. They are used to show both their attraction and emotional connection to each other. The romance between Phoenix and Aria is quite passionate and realistic. There is a good amount of emotional buildup between the characters. The emotional connection is evident when Phoenix helps Aria step out of her comfort zone.

I liked that Aria has a life outside of Phoenix. She has a successful t-shirt business. She has a good relationship with her sister, her mom, and other close friends. Her independent goals help establish some conflict in the story when Aria finds herself becoming too wrapped up in her relationship with Phoenix.

On the downside, there was plenty of deceit in their relationship and I wasn’t sure these two would make it. Aria and Phoenix both commit some cringe-worthy actions. At one point, it seems that Aria is losing too much of herself in the relationship. There were times when I didn’t approve of Aria’s actions and when I didn’t like Phoenix all that much. However, these reactions didn’t take away from my enjoyment of the book. In fact, it added to the suspense of will they or won’t they work out.

Since I really enjoyed the strong characters, the drama, and the sexy romance, I decided to rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. There were a few errors but nothing so erroneous that it distracted from the story. Seeing that there were not many errors, I believe this book was professionally edited. I recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a good passion-filled romance. I would not recommend this for young readers because of the explicit sex scenes.

Electric Impulse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sicily Joy's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

An erotic romance getting a 4 out of 4 is rare. It means that the book is not about sex alone; readers get to see the development of their relationship as well. I will add this to my TR list. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

At least the erotic scenes are well-written. I've read a fair bit of reviews where they just end up sleazy. Still, this isn't my genre, and I'm going to pass on the book. Thanks for the information, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I previously reviewed this book, but it was a private one. I'm glad you enjoyed it though, because I thought rather differently of the book (I do remember a certain phrase..."pepper-grinding motion".) Thanks for the review!
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

A dramatic kind of book which draws the readers attention.
Sicily Joy

Post by Sicily Joy »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 00:45 An erotic romance getting a 4 out of 4 is rare. It means that the book is not about sex alone; readers get to see the development of their relationship as well. I will add this to my TR list. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for your comment. This romance definitely has good character development which can be lacking with some romance books.
Sicily Joy

Post by Sicily Joy »

kandscreeley wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 10:15 At least the erotic scenes are well-written. I've read a fair bit of reviews where they just end up sleazy. Still, this isn't my genre, and I'm going to pass on the book. Thanks for the information, though.
Thanks for comment. It is certain common to have erotic scenes be gross, silly or unrealistic. I would agree if you don't like mainstream romance or sex heavy books, this book probably isn't for you. You might like a mixed genre with a little romance better.
Sicily Joy

Post by Sicily Joy »

gen_g wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 10:40 I previously reviewed this book, but it was a private one. I'm glad you enjoyed it though, because I thought rather differently of the book (I do remember a certain phrase..."pepper-grinding motion".) Thanks for the review!
Thanks for the comment. Now that you mentioned it, there are some awkward lines but there was nothing so distracting to me that I would have given a lower score. My big pet peeve is silly descriptions or methaphors of body parts and bodily functions which the book thankfully avoided. But I can see how other readers might find some of scenes to be over the top or awkward depending on their tastes.
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

Good to know that the romance isn't morally offensive. I am not much into romance, that's why i have to leave this one.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Great review!
Sicily Joy wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 14:44
gen_g wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 10:40 I previously reviewed this book, but it was a private one. I'm glad you enjoyed it though, because I thought rather differently of the book (I do remember a certain phrase..."pepper-grinding motion".) Thanks for the review!
Thanks for the comment. Now that you mentioned it, there are some awkward lines but there was nothing so distracting to me that I would have given a lower score. My big pet peeve is silly descriptions or methaphors of body parts and bodily functions which the book thankfully avoided. But I can see how other readers might find some of scenes to be over the top or awkward depending on their tastes.
Hi, @gen_g and @Sicily Joy,

The book was edited after the first review by gen_g, so the version gen_g reviewed was a earlier draft not the version currently available for sale.

Thank you,
Scott
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Interesting review! Seems like this romance has a realistic story to it, but this genre isn't really my favorite so I'll probably skip it.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Scott wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 14:30 Great review!
Sicily Joy wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 14:44
Hi, @gen_g and @Sicily Joy,

The book was edited after the first review by gen_g, so the version gen_g reviewed was a earlier draft not the version currently available for sale.

Thank you,
Scott
Hi Scott, thanks for the information, that's great to hear!
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

Must have been a good urban novel. I also noted it has some good teachings on love and sex. That is a plus that does motivate ne to grab a book.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Your review was excellent and now I can't wait to get my hands on this book. Great job!
Sicily Joy

Post by Sicily Joy »

Amy+++ wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 12:06 Your review was excellent and now I can't wait to get my hands on this book. Great job!
Thank you! I hope you enjoy the book.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”