Official Review: Victoria & Diego by Christy Santo

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Victoria & Diego by Christy Santo

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Victoria & Diego" by Christy Santo.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zorro (Spanish for fox) is a fictional character created a century ago by Johnston McCulley. As the masked rapier-wielding vigilante, Zorro protects the victims of the evil alcalde in the Californian pueblo near Los Angeles and neighboring areas. Several versions of the Zorro story have been told in various media forms since then. Zorro is even touted as the first masked superhero; Batman’s costume is said to have been inspired by the Zorro getup.

In Victoria & Diego: A Zorro Story, Christy Santo is faithful to the original McCulley story in identifying Zorro as Diego de la Vega, son of the wealthy landowner, Alejandro. Many of the other characters and plot details seem to be Santo’s own creations. She was a teenage fan of one of the Zorro TV serials, and she dedicates her book to Zorro fans like herself.

The book is a quick read; there are only 41 pages in six chapters. It can very well be an episode in the TV series she was so fond of.

Victoria is Diego’s fiancée, but his double identity makes it difficult for them to marry. The alcalde is bent on unmasking Zorro and putting him in prison for his law-breaking activities. Investigators from Madrid are summoned to identify Zorro by all means available. Victoria is distraught and seeks counsel from Padre Salcedo, a priest in a mission house located miles away from her home near Los Angeles. As she drives her horse-drawn wagon back home, it topples while traversing a rough road. The lovely senorita falls and hurts her head; she loses most of her memories.

Will Victoria be found before harm befalls her? Will she and Diego marry? Will Zorro escape the law?

The short story is written in simple language accessible to even young thriller buffs; the graphic scenes of sex and violence may, however, offend sensitive readers. The book cover is attractive and is a clear come-on for Zorro fanatics, who will doubtless find the action exciting. My favorite part is where Victoria and Diego’s adopted brother Felipe find means to mislead the investigators about Zorro’s identity.

I am not too happy with the cliched plot, though. Amnesia is much too convenient a plot device to work for me. Many of the rescues in the story are also done in the nick of time, just before the whip makes contact with flesh or seconds before the rape victim’s modesty is violated. Moreover, there are some unlikely reactions by the villains and the authorities. This story needs fresh ideas and more credible character behavior.

While the author names an editor, there are a number of errors that evaded the red pencil. Many are missing commas; maybe Santo and her editor subscribe to the new trend of using fewer commas. There are also other grammar issues like misused words, other punctuation errors, and faulty sentences. Zorro’s black stallion is both called “Tornado” and “Toronado.” Both names are used in previous Zorro works, but one story should use the same name consistently.

The author promises a sequel to her book; I hope the next story will have novel complications and better editing. I give Victoria & Diego 2 out of 4 stars ; for me, the book somehow missed the mark.

Victoria & Diego
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Miriam Molina's review? Post a comment saying so!
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

Creating a new creative story line from a story like this one of Zorro can sometimes be a little bit tricky, since you will be trying to outdo the rest at the same time try to be original. I think this is one of the reason why the author may have missed it. Thanks for doing this great review though.
edith-chogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by edith-chogo »

Trying to be original about an already popularly know Tv series is quite a task and the author missed the marks since she seems to have copied the storyline and the occurrence of events from the TV series.She should have been more creative and brought in more scenes or ideas that have not yet been in the series so as to make it more interesting.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I can't believe all of this happens in only 41 pages.
It sounds very telenovela-ish :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one seems like it was a bit rushed. I don't think it's long enough to really expound on the characters and the plot well enough. I would be a bit frustrated at the cliches as you were. Still, it sounds like the author has potential. Thanks for the review, but I'm going to pass on this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

A cliched story happening in just 41 pages - I would rather not pick this up. Thanks for the honest review. As always, its to-the-point and engaging.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

41 pages is really too short, and I am definitely not a fan of obvious cliches. Thanks for the informative review as always, Miriam! (: (I am glad that this one got published! :D)
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

fredrick otieno wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 02:00 Creating a new creative story line from a story like this one of Zorro can sometimes be a little bit tricky, since you will be trying to outdo the rest at the same time try to be original. I think this is one of the reason why the author may have missed it. Thanks for doing this great review though.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Fredrick Otieno! Zorro will celebrate his hundredth birthday next year; I hope the author will release a story that will make it memorable.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

edith-chogo wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 03:35 Trying to be original about an already popularly know Tv series is quite a task and the author missed the marks since she seems to have copied the storyline and the occurrence of events from the TV series.She should have been more creative and brought in more scenes or ideas that have not yet been in the series so as to make it more interesting.
Oh, I hope I didn't give anybody the impression that the author copied the story from an episode of the TV series.

Zorro will turn 100 years old next year; maybe Christy has a surprise birthday story to mark the event.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Bianka Walter wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 04:21 I can't believe all of this happens in only 41 pages.
It sounds very telenovela-ish :)
Indeed! And there are many flashbacks and dreams, too.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kandscreeley wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 07:56 This one seems like it was a bit rushed. I don't think it's long enough to really expound on the characters and the plot well enough. I would be a bit frustrated at the cliches as you were. Still, it sounds like the author has potential. Thanks for the review, but I'm going to pass on this one.
It helps that Zorro is a very familiar character, so there is really no need to develop him.

Thanks for the visit, Sarah!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 08:56 A cliched story happening in just 41 pages - I would rather not pick this up. Thanks for the honest review. As always, its to-the-point and engaging.
Thanks for the kind words! I wanted a quick read, and that's what I got.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

gen_g wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 11:32 41 pages is really too short, and I am definitely not a fan of obvious cliches. Thanks for the informative review as always, Miriam! (: (I am glad that this one got published! :D)
Thanks, gen_g! I hope it stays published; no to shape-shifters!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Since the author is a fan of the TV series, this sounds like Zorro fan fiction in a way. It's a shame the cliches made it miss the mark for you.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Odomodo1
Currently Reading: Something Happened Today
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Odomodo1 »

A thing about a book is that every book is written with a reason and not all book is meant for you, every book contain somethings someone need.. So thanks for the review, I hope others will benefit from your great put together.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”