Official Review: Spindrift by Simon Bardwell

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Spindrift by Simon Bardwell

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spindrift" by Simon Bardwell.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

John is feeling a bit claustrophobic in the family business and opts to cut ties early. Leaving with his inheritance, he decides to travel the world abandoning his girlfriend Chloe. His father Adam and brother Luke aren't quite sure what to make of his behavior. Where did this decision come from? Why now? As they seek to understand John's motives, he travels to Australia trying to find himself.

Spindrift is a novel classified as romance, though I feel it would be most appropriate in other fiction. Yes, John does have a girlfriend throughout the entire novel. Yet, the plot is not about the two as a couple as you would expect to find in a book in the romance genre. The story is told from the first person perspective; Adam's father narrates the novel, but the plot really focuses on John as he does some soul-searching. Chloe only serves as a reminder of home.

The book explores a number of adult themes including past trauma and abuse. While I believe this is a subject that is important to talk about, I feel that the author could have explored the subject in greater depth. It seemed something that was more discussed in passing rather than taking a rightful place within the book's themes. While there isn't anything overly graphic, I would still not recommend this book to younger audiences.

I found the story line to be engaging. I was genuinely interested in why John would leave a company in which he had invested so much. Following John's journey of self-exploration and wondering if he'd find his way back home kept me coming back for more.

Having said that, John himself seemed to be a bit wishy-washy. He takes some actions in the book that I genuinely did not think he was capable of. The author tries to blame it on alcohol, but I still didn't buy it. In addition, I'm not sure if we ever did explore why he felt the need to change his life so completely. Most of the characters suffered from a lack of depth; even when we learned of their motivations, it was without feeling. Detached. Along the same lines, while John was in Australia, there was no way to distinguish the native speakers. John is from England, and I'm certain they do not have the same slang as would native Australians. This made the whole book feel unrealistic.

I also had a small issue with the timeline. For the most part, the author follows a linear progression through John's journey. However, there was one instance where an occurrence was split up by a chapter's worth of something completely different. Did the happenings in the middle chapter occur before or after the current timeline? It was impossible to tell. In fact, this was the very chapter in which John does something completely out of character. We are even introduced to a new person whom we never see again. Perhaps this chapter should have been cut altogether from the novel.

Sadly, the novel was also not professionally edited. I found mistakes littering just about every page. These ranged from missing spaces, to misspelled words, to run-on sentences, to errors in capitalization. There were enough that they just could not be ignored.

It's for these reasons that I rate Spindrift 2 out of 4 stars. At the end, the author states that this novel was started for Nanowrimo 2013, which I admire. I even see glimpses of brilliance within the pages. These, though, are hindered not only by grammatical issues, but also by the lack of depth in the characters and a slip up in the timeline. I would only recommend it to those who enjoy a light read and don't mind filling in a few blanks.

Spindrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

It's a shame that this book has so many negatives against it. I feel like it has potential. Hopefully those mistakes can be fixed.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

This book seems to have a lot of promise from the title and the cover picture, it's a shame there wasn't enough character development and that the story made you feel detached. Also, the fact that there were so many grammatical mistakes is another problem. Thanks for such a thorough review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

melissy370 wrote: 24 Oct 2018, 14:41 It's a shame that this book has so many negatives against it. I feel like it has potential. Hopefully those mistakes can be fixed.
It definitely has potential. It just needs a bit of reworking. Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Having said that, John himself seemed to be a bit wishy-washy. He takes some actions in the book that I genuinely did not think he was capable of. The author tries to blame it on alcohol, but I still didn't buy it. In addition, I'm not sure if we ever did explore why he felt the need to change his life so completely. Most of the characters suffered from a lack of depth; even when we learned of their motivations, it was without feeling. Detached. Along the same lines, while John was in Australia, there was no way to distinguish the native speakers. John is from England, and I'm certain they do not have the same slang as would native Australians. This made the whole book feel unrealistic.
It's an interesting idea for a story, so it's a shame it wasn't better executed. Thanks for your candid review.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

"Adam's father narrates the novel..."

What an odd choice. I wouldn't be surprised why you feel a detachment from the characters. There seems to be some potential though. Thanks for the review!
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

The title spendthrift would make someone have higher expectation, but from the review, it seems the author did not do a very good job. Thanks for the good review though.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

It sounds like this story didn't gel so well with itself!
The premise of this book is also a little too thin for me - I feel like it needs a bit more oomph.
Awesome review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

inaramid wrote: 24 Oct 2018, 22:14 "Adam's father narrates the novel..."

What an odd choice. I wouldn't be surprised why you feel a detachment from the characters. There seems to be some potential though. Thanks for the review!
Yes, Adam explains at the end why he told his son's story, but it just came across as distant to me. Thanks for the observations!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

fredrick otieno wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 00:52 The title spendthrift would make someone have higher expectation, but from the review, it seems the author did not do a very good job. Thanks for the good review though.
It has potential, but it could use a good thorough editor. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Bianka Walter wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 04:24 It sounds like this story didn't gel so well with itself!
The premise of this book is also a little too thin for me - I feel like it needs a bit more oomph.
Awesome review :)
I certainly understand. Thanks for your comments. Always appreciated.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am curious about the title and the cover. Like Fredrick Otieno, I thought the story was about a spendthrift. It has some similarities to the biblical prodigal son. Will John find his way home?

As to the book's genre, the last couple of books I read also seemed to be misclassified. Do the authors classify the books? Or does OBC?
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

This sounds like a good read except for the errors that put it down. I also feel that the author should have delved much into the romance genre so that the book wont feel flat.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Miriam Molina wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 19:06 I am curious about the title and the cover. Like Fredrick Otieno, I thought the story was about a spendthrift. It has some similarities to the biblical prodigal son. Will John find his way home?

As to the book's genre, the last couple of books I read also seemed to be misclassified. Do the authors classify the books? Or does OBC?
That's a good question. I'm not really sure about that. However, I usually look at the book's classification on Amazon as well. It was both romance and other fiction on Amazon. Thanks for your comments.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

wendos wrote: 26 Oct 2018, 06:50 This sounds like a good read except for the errors that put it down. I also feel that the author should have delved much into the romance genre so that the book wont feel flat.
It just needed a bit more thought, I think. A little more work from the author and perhaps a good editor and I think this will be something very nice. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”