Official Review: Theirs by Chance by Karen Ann Dell

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: Theirs by Chance by Karen Ann Dell

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Theirs by Chance" by Karen Ann Dell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Theirs by Chance is a steamy romance novel by Karen Ann Dell. A fair warning though: once you start reading it, it will be difficult to put it down!

It has been six years since the nightmare. Marjorie has come to love her quint, little Blue Cove town where she runs a B&B. She feels safe behind the baggy, loose clothing she wears. A disguise to throw off the monster who killed her mother and twin sister all those years ago. She finds herself deeply attracted to one of her visitors, Lance Fisher. Lance is a recently retired sergeant who is recovering from PTSD. The memory of losing his men haunts him to this day. Despite her baggy attire, Lance finds her to be irresistible. Will they find a refuge in each other?

I found this book to be effortlessly easy to read and addictive! It had a soap opera quality to it (thankfully, not the cheesy sort). The attraction between Marjorie and Lance is fiery! Yet, a more solid, principled love builds between the two. The fact that this love is threatened by outside factors opens up an opportunity for us to see a vulnerability in the two main characters. And the author does an incredibly great job in capturing the complex emotions that the characters experience.

I loved how multilayered the characters are. Marjorie, who is as sweet as a daisy, has moments of bossiness and can be quite forceful when offering Lance needed help. We see her composed exterior crumble under the allurement that is Lance. We witness her go through moments were she is gripped by terror. This wide range of masterfully portrayed emotions really aided in creating well-rounded characters.

The traumatic experiences that the main characters go through, and their battle against PTSD offered a respite from the romance element. Seeing how fear affects them and their view of what they can or cannot do was interesting. These traumatic experiences also added action and suspense in small doses.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to romance novel fans who love unpredictable, happy endings.

Theirs by Chance
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

I'm not generally a fan of romance novels, but I do like that you pointed out that there is more than just romance going on in this story. It sounds like each of the main characters have interesting back stories which could make the book worth reading. Thanks for the review.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like an insightful read indeed, thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have to tell you that I'm not into Romance. Having said that, this sounds quite intriguing. I love that they are both "damaged" so to speak. I hope that they do find refuge in each other and get past the past. I'm glad you enjoyed it, but I'll still pass. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

Romance has always been my kind of book, especially if its addictive and you cant just put it down, thanks for the review.
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz »

While i do love romantic book, i am more on the fantasy and horror side if we are speaking of favorites. I deffinatly like romance novels they are just not my go to read. Thanks for your review. I may read this book if i have the time.
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

JHuschle519 wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 23:27 I'm not generally a fan of romance novels, but I do like that you pointed out that there is more than just romance going on in this story. It sounds like each of the main characters have interesting back stories which could make the book worth reading. Thanks for the review.
I agree that romance as a genre has been done to death in my opinion, but an author who puts the story together well and makes you enjoy the characters in their highs and lows should have a good chance at success.Great review!
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

All of it sounds amazing. I like soap operas and I feel that if I read this book that's exactly what I would see in my mind! Your description of the book is great and I can't wait to read this book. Fantastic review!
Mugisha christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Mugisha christopher »

sound great !
I'm a real fan of romance books
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like that the characters seem so real. They are trying to deal with their burdens from the past and find love in the present. This sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for a great review!
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

If you know what you are looking for in a romance novel then you wouldn't accept anything cheesy. The book is rated 4 stars as per your review, that means it is indeed above par. I would recommend it for those who want connect with their sensitive side. GREAT review non the less
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
nikaniks
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nikaniks »

This book teases you to the bone lol...... its a book for rainy weather!!
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I'm a pretty big fan of romance novels, so this seems like it would be right up my alley. I like that the characters overcome their difficulties to find each other. Sometimes these romance novels can be cheesy but this seems like it doesn't overdo it. Great review and summary!
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

You have provided a great review! The plot seems so realistic. I would love to try it. And it isn't much cheesy!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”