Official Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Official Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin

Post by kwahu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ripples Spread" by Fay Spurgin.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Amanda had a massive spinal injury sustained from a car accident that left her paraplegic. Despite the misfortune, she had moved on with her life and conducted a successful business from her home. Her husband, Rob Trenton, runs Trenton Industries with Will and Jane Devlin, a company that supplies mining equipment. Rob seems overwhelmed by his intense sexual desire and suggests to Amanda a threesome with Will and Jane. That is when another accident claims Amanda's life.

Even so, Rob goes ahead and tables his sexual threesome proposal to Will and Jane, and before long, Rob's assistant, Brett with his girlfriend Pamela, finds themselves entangled in his plan and soon it becomes incestuous when Pamela involves her Mother, Sister, and uncle. An unexpected lifestyle begins to thrive and gets worse when the gaudy Seb Gazozas joins them. The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin is a romance novel that leaves the reader smitten by its over-the-top narrative.

The poetic overture blends well with the story and gets the reader ready for a brilliantly executed story-line in different settings, without going off-track. I was also impressed by the character development which makes the story fun, and the reader can relate and identify with every character introduced. The author is daring enough to introduce romance in sensitive situations. For instance, Brett sleeps with his girlfriend's mother, Will Delvin gets a second wife, and Pamela sleeps with her uncle. These are some of the scenes the reader encounters.

I hated the extreme romance in this novel. It portrays a rotten society at the brink of destruction. Some of us would not want to behold the incest depicted in the book around our communities. Well, I know these shenanigans happen in places around the world. However, I consider them a high level of waywardness. All the same, I commend the author for being courageous enough to concoct a romance novel with such unrivalled candidness. I did not like the sexual soirees where relatives were involved, especially parents and their children. I do not believe our communities are ready to deal with the kind of misfortune such behaviours would bring. I felt like the author went overboard.

While the writing style was simple and easy to follow, there were several run-on sentences that distracted the reading. This book could use professional editing since there were also grammar and punctuation errors, missing and misplaced words. For example, more than once, the author used the word "you" instead of "you're" or "You are." The word "his" is mistakenly used instead of "he." I do not think I can recommend this book to anyone since I felt the author went overboard with this genre. There were no positive lessons to learn from the book. The reader only ends up with a debauched mind. Owing to the aforementioned flaws, I rate the book 1 out of 4 stars.

The Ripples Spread
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kwahu's review? Post a comment saying so!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Yuk! Thanks for your well-written review and your warning that the themes of this story are not for the faint-hearted or easily offended. I'm sorry you had to read it.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I think you are being kind when you say "There's too much romance in this novel." :shock: It sounds debauched in the extreme and I'll definitely be giving it a wide berth. It's one thing to stretch the boundaries a little, but this certainly replete with gratuitous sex scenes and I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. Many thanks for reading this one on our behalf.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Romance is not my genre to begin with. Add the incest to that, and I'm definitely going to stay away from this one. Thanks anyway.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for your review. I agree with your comments and thank you for the warning. I will not read this one!
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

And the worst part of it that the author does make the characters regret their incestuous acts. This has been over done and that is why the author has lost it. Thanks for your review though.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 00:12 Yuk! Thanks for your well-written review and your warning that the themes of this story are not for the faint-hearted or easily offended. I'm sorry you had to read it.
Those are my feelings as well!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

This story doesn't really seem like it has a plot to it.
Either way, thank you for the review!
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

Thanks for taking a bullet for the theme. AM glad you could write a review off it. Great review,
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I appreciate your honest comments about this book. I think I'll pass. These themes are too disturbing.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I won't lie. It had me in the beginning but then lost me when you mentioned the incest. I don't mind stories that are primarily just erotica, but the incest is a definite no for me.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”