Official Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Legacy of Job's Wife" by Cynthia Koelker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Not many have pondered upon this story from such a unique point of view and not much attention has been directed towards the wife of the Biblical character Job, except the usual scorn directed her way. In The Legacy of Job's Wife, Cynthia Koelker tries to understand her urge to ask Job to curse his God. Koelker crafts a heart-warming Christian fiction story filled with charming romance.

Possibly it was the mesmerizing eyes, their delightful friendship or her gift in music that made Job fall in love with Ix’ises. From their childhood years, they were inseparable. Unfortunately, they did not share the same faith and Ix’ises struggled constantly to understand Job’s faith and God’s relationship with mankind. Still, Ix’ises and Job’s love for each other grew steadily. Like many other love stories, it was not without its challenges as Job became distanced with Ix’ises while working for the magistrate of Uz. Fortunately, they found each other once again but untold tragedy was to strike swiping away everything they had.

The Legacy of Job's Wife contains vivid moments told through heart-warming descriptions. Every detail is well-designed to help paint a picture in the reader’s mind. From the terrain, the cuisine, the culture, and the architecture, Cynthia Koelker must have carefully considered different aspects when coming up with the story. The tale also tallies to the Biblical account in many aspects providing a deeper understanding of the actions of Job’s wife. Ix’ises anguish on losing her children is made tangible through Koelker’s powerful descriptions and her ability to narrate.

The idea behind the book is quite unique. Not much has been written on Job’s wife and what is available is somewhat shallow. It was interesting to look into the story closely through the eyes of Job’s wife as opposed to the common point of view. Certainly, the anguish she felt at the time upon losing her ten children, would have driven her to lose all possible faith that had remained in her. Further, The Legacy of Job's Wife points to man’s desire to understand God’s actions and the devastating nature that painful events have on faith. It also points to God’s mercy as He restored Job and his family giving them twice what they had lost. All these themes appear in the story which makes the book even more enlightening.

There are few to none grammatical errors in the book which helped maintain a grip on me and also made reading easy. The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker is a wonderful book that every fan of Christian fiction with strands of romance will appreciate. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

The Legacy of Job's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This seems like a wonderful story, but being a non-Christian, I am skeptical if I will be able to relate to the story. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy when an author finds a unique perspective such as this. The story of Job has always interested me - all that he lost and yet to still maintain his faith. I would be interested to see how the author explores Job's wife and in turn Job himself. Thanks for the information on this one. It will have to go on my list.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I don't usually care to read romance novels, but as a BIG fan of stories that elaborate on sparse Biblical tales, I think I'll at the very least try this one out. Thanks so much for the well-written introduction!
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I think it would be very interesting to read Job's story from the perspective of his wife. Thanks for a great review!
KarinaBordas
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinabordas.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KarinaBordas »

The different perspective of such a well known story as Job is intriguing. Although this is a fictional work, there is definitely a part of me that wonders what Job's wife felt as Job endured many hardships. It sounds as if Koelker has created a picture that seems quite believable. I look forward to reading this novel. Thanks for the excellent review!
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Great review! I like the different perspective. The author seems to have done a great job.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

Great review. this will be a book i will sure want to try out. seems the author did a good job of bringing out Jobs wife side of things.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Bol ket
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bol ket »

One of the best story to be remembered but it only tells the ends of the temptation but not beginning of love of God
Temidayo Omowunmi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temidayo-omowunmi.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Temidayo Omowunmi »

My mother is a biblical woman, I'll surely get the book for her. Great job to everyone who worked on the book.
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

I have passed by this book often while searching for my next review, and often I have wondered if it was related to the story in the Bible. After reading your review, I must say that this will be one I hope I will continue to have the chance to review, and to do so soon myself. The story of Job from the Bible is one of my many favorites, but I had never considered her side of the story, and now as a mother to my own beautiful God given miracle child (10 months old now after being born at 24 weeks and 3 days) I think it would be interesting to see one persons thoughts and opinions from her side of Job's story. THANK YOU so much for the review.
Ogbehlinus00
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ogbehlinus00 »

Nice review ,surely i will get one for myself because it's biblical and has a natural tale. Falling in love which is a natural phenomenon and biblically was seen as temptation and yet, still maintain his FAITH, inspite of all that was lost and what he went true. What a biblical great review
Shola0706
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shola0706.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Shola0706 »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 04:16 This seems like a wonderful story, but being a non-Christian, I am skeptical if I will be able to relate to the story. Thanks for the review!
I read the book too. It does take its roots in the biblical story but it is not exclusive. Non-Christian or non-Jews can definitely relate to it because suffering is a human experience.

:D
ohlendorfbe
Favorite Book: The Piano Man
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohlendorfbe.html
Latest Review: Tears and Trombones by Nanci Lee Woody
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by ohlendorfbe »

Wonderful review of a wonderful book! I'm about1/3 through the book, hoping to review it myself. Since I am a Christian pastor's wife, I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about the BIble. This unique fictionalized story of Job's wife is truly breathtaking! The author uses her imagination in an exceptional way to explain what she thinks Job's wife experienced. Of course, no one knows for sure what happened, but this account is completely believable. A great tale of God's love and man's response.
FelDee
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Favorite Book: A Voice in the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feldee.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by FelDee »

I am still reading it, but I have to agree with you; this book deserves 4 stars. I have cried at least twice so far while reading it. So emotionally gripping.
Tell the truth, or at least don't lie.
~Jordan Peterson, PhD~

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”