Official Review: Lux University by J.Y. Olmos

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Lux University by J.Y. Olmos

Post by kfwilson6 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lux University" by J.Y. Olmos.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alisa, along with many other human females, is trying to learn the rules of her new home, the moon Lux. Lux is a world in which the people look and act much like humans, the people can read minds, and there eight times as many men as there are women. The women are expected to become strong Matriarchs who will take multiple husbands. Alisa is just on the verge of coming into her Matriarch powers when a natural disaster throws her into the arms of the very attractive Jensen Tourneau. Jensen is plagued by family issues which are keeping him from living the life he has been working toward as the assistant to a senator. Alisa is not at all what he expected, and the unplanned interaction between the two forces them to recognize they may have jumped to conclusions about the other. Jensen has a large chip on his shoulder as a result of his brother inviting humans to live on his ancestral land. Alisa may just be the one to soften his heart toward those who were forced from Earth with no other option but to accept the charity of those living on Lux.

Lux University by J.Y. Olmos is a follow-up to the Matriarch trilogy which centers around Alisa’s mother, Evonne. Having not read the trilogy, I can say that I was quite confused about how Alisa came to be a resident of Lux, which I never came to fully understand. There is a lot of information about the natives of Lux, the geographic structure of the galaxy Lux is in, and the way in which Matriarch powers manifest that I am led to believe is fleshed out in the trilogy, but is not reintroduced in Lux University. The world-building was likely already done, so there wasn’t much world-building in this follow-up. I believe the author intended for the reader to pick up Lux University only after reading its predecessors.

The story itself, for those who have first familiarized themselves with Lux by reading the Matriarch trilogy and might be more comfortable reading Lux University, is not an original idea, nor is it a very fulfilling plot. The novel focuses on Alisa and Jensen’s initial dislike of one another, their sudden attraction and simultaneous irritation with each other, and their struggle to figure out whether or not they will part ways or find a way to have a relationship. This is a common thread in teen novels which is usually enhanced by a subplot. However, the subplot, which is the struggle between humans and their new home’s leaders to determine how the people from Earth will be treated and if they will continue to live on Lux, is discussed minimally and is not very central to the story. Therefore, this is really just another teen romance.

Unfortunately, there is not much more I can expound on. I think the preceding trilogy has potential from what I gathered about Lux and its inhabitants from this book. I can’t imagine this would be a satisfying follow-up for fans though, as nothing really happens beyond Alisa and Jensen’s potential relationship.

What I can say about Lux University that I have not been able to say about any other book I’ve reviewed is that the editing is flawless. The book is well written, and I did not find a single grammar error, typo, or syntax error. Despite a lack of thrills and world-building in this novel, I think female teens who enjoy romances between teenage characters in another world could enjoy this novel. I recommend it to older teens (16+) as there is some cursing. I am going to grant Lux University 3 out of 4 stars based on the assumption that it would be more thoroughly appreciated by those who are already familiar with Olmos’s world, the fact that the editing is flawless, and the assertion that teen readers would enjoy the interactions between Alisa and Jensen as they attempt to navigate their relationship. A deeper development of the issues between the leaders and the humans along with more information about the structure of the galaxy and the people of Lux would have made Lux University worthy of 4 stars and could have easily made it an enjoyable stand-alone novel.

Lux University
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kfwilson6's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

I liked the premise of mind reading and Matriarch powers. Too bad this book doesn't do a good job filling in the information from the previous books. I may try the first book in the series. Thank you for your honest and great review.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

It does not seem that I will enjoy this book since it cannot be read as a standalone. Plus, I am not looking forward to reading teen romance. Thanks for the honest review!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

A book with flawless editing is a rare find! What a pity the story wasn't as strong. It's always frustrating when you feel like you've been inserted into a whole world that you know nothing about.
Awesome review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

Sicily Joy wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 01:01 I liked the premise of mind reading and Matriarch powers. Too bad this book doesn't do a good job filling in the information from the previous books. I may try the first book in the series. Thank you for your honest and great review.
My thoughts exactly. I'm not sure I want to commit to a trilogy and if I did, I feel that I would have to read them all quite close together so as not to forget any of the information I would perhaps expect to be reintroduced in later books.

The concept sounds really fun, so it's a shame that the fillers are missing. I think I would read the series if I was looking for something interesting and sci-fi-esque, which isn't my usual request.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, this doesn't sound very original from what you've said. It's a plot that I'm interested in, but I'm just not sure about the book. Besides that, I would definitely want to start with the first. It kind of sounds like filler between the first and third books. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 08:30 Well, this doesn't sound very original from what you've said. It's a plot that I'm interested in, but I'm just not sure about the book. Besides that, I would definitely want to start with the first. It kind of sounds like filler between the first and third books. Thanks for the review, though.
It was meant to be a novella at first. I think because the first 3 books are about Evonne, and the author thought people might like to know what ended up happening with her daughter. I think it would be more easily appreciated by fans of the series, but either way, it was still a pretty unoriginal plot. Lots of potential though. I was very interested in the differences between Lux and Earth, especially the multiple husbands thing ;)
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 02:03 A book with flawless editing is a rare find! What a pity the story wasn't as strong. It's always frustrating when you feel like you've been inserted into a whole world that you know nothing about.
Awesome review :)
I think the world is quite interesting, so I hope Olmos does a good job of describing it in the preceding trilogy. She seems to be a pretty good writer, especially with the perfect editing. I was very impressed by that.

Thanks Bianka!
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Sicily Joy wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 01:01 I liked the premise of mind reading and Matriarch powers. Too bad this book doesn't do a good job filling in the information from the previous books. I may try the first book in the series. Thank you for your honest and great review.
I'm contemplating checking out the first book as well. The writer has a good style. I just wanted more details, which I think we might get from the trilogy. Thank you so much for commenting.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Sounds interesting, but not usually what I find myself going for in reading choices. I'll look into the first book and see if it something that might be of interest but I don't think I'd like to read this one as a stand alone. Great review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I always enjoy your reviews. Your writing is engaging. It sounds like if this had broken out of the teen romance arc and offered more narrative to tie it in with the trilogy it would have been a more satisfying stand alone read. Thanks for the great introduction to this book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This book is not a standalone perhaps I get the books in the previous series, I won't be delving into this. However this is a great review. Always looking forward to books you review
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Hooray for good editing! I like my sci-fi to do a bit more than be a romance though. Great review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

It's too bad that there isn't more to the subplot. While I enjoy a bit of romance, I like for there to be a bit more action and "other-worldliness" in a sci-fi novel. Thanks for your review!
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I think I would have to read the whole trilogy in order to understand the book. Great review. The book sounds good.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”