Review by fictaddict -- Mistress Suffragette

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
fictaddict
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictaddict.html
Latest Review: Elastic Girl by Olivia Rana

Review by fictaddict -- Mistress Suffragette

Post by fictaddict » 22 Sep 2018, 17:09

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mistress Suffragette" by Diana Forbes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At the beginning of Mistress Suffragette, Penelope Stanton loses her fiance and her future prospects when her father’s fortunes fall in the Panic of 1893. Despite certain other offers in New York and her family’s pressure, she decides to take control of her future, and moves to Boston with her friend Lucinda.

Overlook a few confusing moments and a few too-perfect coincidences, and in general, this was an interesting look at daily lives affected by the Panic of 1893.

Penelope has an adventurous love life, especially for the time period. Her suitors are pretty varied, although there’s a Fifty Shades undertone at times, and I spent most of the novel wondering who Penelope would choose. But it’s the relationship with her friend Lucinda that really worked for me. In this friendship, readers can see two women with different interests who care for and help each other. Lucinda leads Penelope to her work in early women’s rights. Here, the author is careful not to stereotype, so readers can meet women from all different backgrounds interested in equality.

To me, Penelope’s attitudes didn’t match with the time period. For a young woman who was groomed to make an advantageous marriage, and who spent many morning calls hearing gossip that would reinforce the current ideas of morality, she was awfully quick to take up with a married man, among other liaisons. Besides that, this is a nice historical page-turner, since I kept wondering what would happen to Penelope next, so I’d give it 3 out of 4 stars.

This would be a good book for fans of Kim Izzo’s Seven Days in May, for the blend of Gilded Age history, secret romance, and women’s rights, or My Lady’s Choosing, by Kitty Curran and Larissa Zageris, for the wild twist and turns in a historical romance.

Mistress Suffragette
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like fictaddict's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”