Official Review: November 11 by Carmen Vela

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Official Review: November 11 by Carmen Vela

Post by Allyseria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "November 11" by Carmen Vela.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

November 11 is a contemporary romance novel written by Carmen Vela. The story follows two colleagues, Malavika and Martin, during their years working alongside each other as police officers in the Phoenix Police Department. However, when Malavika starts to fall in love with Martin, a married man, will she be able to successfully hide her feelings and preserve their friendship? And when Malavika faces a big decision that will change both their lives, will she lose Martin and his friendship forever?

The book is written in the third person and the theme is forbidden love. The best thing I liked about the book was the way the author successfully created real and relatable characters. Even the minor characters were well-developed! I especially liked the chemistry between Martin and Malavika. The way the author wrote their interactions made me feel like I was witnessing a secret love between these two characters, and that only I was privy to their innermost thoughts. I also loved the plot as it was very well-executed. I was delighted by the twists and turns of the plot as it had me constantly on the edge of my seat wanting them both to finally end up together.

However, there were flaws in the book that is preventing me from giving it four stars. Firstly, there were many editing errors throughout the book. Secondly, the book lacked detailed descriptions so I found myself having to fill in the missing details in my head in order to create a clearer picture in my mind. There was also almost no dialogue in the book. It felt very strange and it was something that took me a while to get used to. I ended up imagining the dialogue in my head instead.

The opening was also very slow. We were given a long backstory for each character and I found myself wanting to skim it. It was almost halfway through the book when the plot finally started, and as mentioned above, it was fantastic. But then when the plot concluded, the ending was prolonged and filled with unnecessary scenes. Scenes that just detailed normal everyday life.

Overall, I have to rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. It’s a shame because the plot was very well-executed, but because of the padded backstory and the prolonged ending, the full impact of the plot was diminished. If you are content with reading a slow-paced beginning and ending, it is a light read that romance fans will enjoy. However, if you are looking for a fast-paced romance book, this book is not for you.

November 11
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Allyseria's review? Post a comment saying so!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Wow! Malavicka is surely in a sticky and dangerous situation. I hope she will be able to sort out her feelings and make the right decision. I am sorry about the prolonged ending to the story. Thank you for your honest review.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

The book sounds so promising. It's to bad that the errors and the lack of dialogue hurt it so much. Great review.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I like the concept of the book - it's a shame it doesn't quite fill its potential. Great review!
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

A slow pacing is a turn-off for me. I usually like a gripping start and a smooth flow. I'm so sorry about the errors and the lack of details. I will bypass reading this book. Thanks for the honest review.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

I really like the detail you have included in the review.

It's a shame though, as I was getting really positive vibes until I read about the many errors and lack of dialogue. These are deal breakers for me and I don't think I could see the book through or invest fully in the characters.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

The title of the book intrigued me, but after seeing it has only got a score of 2 made me reconsider my decision to check it out. Then I felt curious to learn why it got such a score. What I think is even if the plot is good, delivery is not. I'm not sure whether I'll be reading this, but most probably I won't.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:

Post by Allyseria »

crediblereading2 wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 15:03 Wow! Malavicka is surely in a sticky and dangerous situation. I hope she will be able to sort out her feelings and make the right decision. I am sorry about the prolonged ending to the story. Thank you for your honest review.
Thank you for leaving a comment! If only the ending had ended with the plot. It would have been a much better read :)
Allyseria
Currently Reading:

Post by Allyseria »

Amy+++ wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 13:18 The book sounds so promising. It's to bad that the errors and the lack of dialogue hurt it so much. Great review.
Thank you for leaving a comment :) Maybe the lack of dialogue is a particular writing style. It was very strange for me to read a book without dialogue though :(
Allyseria
Currently Reading:

Post by Allyseria »

Julie Green wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 14:04 I like the concept of the book - it's a shame it doesn't quite fill its potential. Great review!
Thank you for leaving a comment :) The concept was good. I liked that the title 'November 11' meant a lot in the book. It could definitely have been a great read if not for the flaws.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:

Post by Allyseria »

Dolor wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 18:23 A slow pacing is a turn-off for me. I usually like a gripping start and a smooth flow. I'm so sorry about the errors and the lack of details. I will bypass reading this book. Thanks for the honest review.
Thank you for leaving a comment :) I also like to read books with a gripping start. Nothing makes you more interested in a book than a very engaging opening!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:

Post by Allyseria »

Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 12:20 I really like the detail you have included in the review.

It's a shame though, as I was getting really positive vibes until I read about the many errors and lack of dialogue. These are deal breakers for me and I don't think I could see the book through or invest fully in the characters.
Thank you for leaving a comment :) The lack of dialogue was very odd to me too so I definitely understand if it's a deal breaker.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:

Post by Allyseria »

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 06:18 The title of the book intrigued me, but after seeing it has only got a score of 2 made me reconsider my decision to check it out. Then I felt curious to learn why it got such a score. What I think is even if the plot is good, delivery is not. I'm not sure whether I'll be reading this, but most probably I won't.
Thank you for leaving a comment :) I was intrigued with the title too. It was definitely a well-chosen title. It was a shame that the delivery couldn't have been better.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This book looks promissing but the errors and lack of detaile description will sure make it not worth while. Thanks for the review
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

The lack of dialogue is odd :lol: Regardless, I don't think I would enjoy this book. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”