Official Review: The Kokuran II by Jordin Mack

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Re: Official Review: The Kokuran II by Jordin Mack

Post by Sicily Joy »

teacherjh wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 11:10 I love a good plot twist but veer away from more explicit sexual content so this one probably is not for me. Thanks for a good review.
The sex scenes are pretty short but do use some explicit descriptions. Also, the assaults in the book are not exploitative but might too disturbing for some readers. Thank you for your comment.
Sicily Joy

Post by Sicily Joy »

CasualBookReader wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 22:45 The book sounds like a version of my past life. I don't mind slow plot development as long as the purpose is for character development. Stephen King is notorious for taking his time building the story by first letting us get acquainted with the principal characters before actually getting to the action.

It seems like Jodin Mack has only published the two books in this series. I'd like to read the first book before trying #2. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for your comment. Definitely, if you are cool with a slow build-up this book has great character development.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

I get the feeling that I could grow to love this book if I could just get through the slow start. I'm left wondering whether the book could have started later or rushed through the grief period.

I don't get as much time to read as I would like so I'm not sure I could commit to this book at present, especially as a central book in a trilogy. I like that it touches on so many sensitive issues.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I love this author's sensitivity to the themes. I would enjoy that aspect. It sounds like she could have included more action in her writing. I prefer when the story isn't told primarily through dialogue. There can be lovely action written into even the smallest movements or expressions. Thank you for your insightful review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Sicily Joy

Post by Sicily Joy »

Eva Darrington wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 22:26 I love this author's sensitivity to the themes. I would enjoy that aspect. It sounds like she could have included more action in her writing. I prefer when the story isn't told primarily through dialogue. There can be lovely action written into even the smallest movements or expressions. Thank you for your insightful review.
Thanks for your comment. The dialogue is minimum but can seem lengthy due to the monologuing. The story is told in the first person and falls into the trap of spending too much time in the character's head. I agree that more action is a great way to move the story without adding too much dialogue.
Sicily Joy

Post by Sicily Joy »

Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 12:25 I get the feeling that I could grow to love this book if I could just get through the slow start. I'm left wondering whether the book could have started later or rushed through the grief period.

I don't get as much time to read as I would like so I'm not sure I could commit to this book at present, especially as a central book in a trilogy. I like that it touches on so many sensitive issues.
Thanks for your comment. I wondered if the third book will be more action-packed as Astrid is doing as the self-reflection in this second book. It might be worth reading ( when you have the time) if you like books with sensitive subject matters.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I'm not quite sure whether to read it or not. On the pro side this book seems to contain what I look for in a book like the discussion of sensitive issues in an empathetic manner. But on the other hand I greatly dislike childish descriptions of sexual scenes. Too much details also acts as a turn off for me. So I'm not sure whether it'd be worth to read the book skipping those parts.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

The kokuran II by Jordin Mack is reviewed in a manner which is required actually. This is a book about the tragedic life of Astrid. I personally like the emotional stories so it is my favorite also. you have chosen a good topic and done a good review. thanks for it.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”