Official Review: A Game Of Princes by Raymond David

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: A Game Of Princes by Raymond David

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Game Of Princes" by Raymond David.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Game of Princes by Raymond David presents a story that features the meeting and blending of two diverse worlds. Prince Kimbuwe of the kingdom of Afrotasia and the son to the reigning king, King Mbasa, has to prove himself in the game of princes also known as the Mbulwunga Game.

The constant frustration and pressure he receives from his father cause him to flee to California, in the US. His near-perfect shot helps him obtain a position in the California Angels basketball team under the guidance of Coach Andrea Carter, an ex-convict who is struggling to rewrite the wrongs of his past. Will King Mbasa ever find his son again and will he be able to convince his prodigal son to return to his kingdom of Afrotasia?

Every scene and page in the book is gripping. The twists and turns contained appear at every stage of the storyline which renders the plot unpredictable. The contrast between Prince Kimbuwe’s life in Afrotasia and the one he lives in California adds intrigue to the story. With no one realizing that he is a prince, Kimbuwe is able to live a relatively normal life in California unlike the one he leaves behind in Afrotasia. A bit of romance and jealousy is also included to spice up the plot. Kimbuwe falls for Kelly, Ryan Riley’s girlfriend who plays for the opposing team, the Miami Beasts.

I also liked that the main characters are well-designed and have striking pasts and flaws. Coach Andrea tries to put his past behind him and forge a successful career in basketball. Prince Kimbuwe, on the other hand, runs from his father to discover who he is and what lies beyond Afrotasia. Their journeys are not smooth, rather, they are marred by difficulties and challenges. Kimbuwe has to prove his father wrong and show him that he is good at something while Coach Andrea struggles to prove to the basketball fraternity and his fans that he is better than his past portrays him to be.

There are a number of grammatical errors in the text that mostly involve mixing up of tenses and also sentence construction issues. There are also too many coincidences in the book which makes the plot seem unrealistic. Still, I found A Game of Princes by Raymond David an engrossing read which could easily appeal to every reader with a love for African literature that contains a fusion of diverse cultures. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

A Game Of Princes
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

What I could gather from your review was that this book is a coming-of-age story where the main characters struggle to establish their individual identities. The gripping plotline works in favor of the book however, it's a pity that grammatical errors mar the reading experience. I was wondering why the book was listed under Romance section. Thanks for the review!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

It seems like Prince Kimbuwe lives an interesting life: him running away from his father, discovering other talents besides being a price, and falling in love. It sounds like an interesting book for African literature. Intriguing review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not really big into sports, so I'm not sure this book would necessarily appeal to me. I'm sure there is much more to it than that, but I just wouldn't like the basketball overtones. Sounds like a pretty good book otherwise. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

Your review makes me feel that other themes overshadow romance which is supposed to be the dominating theme in the book. It feels like his feelings for Kelly are just a by the way.
Pachecovane
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Pachecovane »

The beginning it starts very well about the character coming from a kingdom ,and his a prince .It would be nice that the prince goes to California to find her princess..
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

Definitely not my kind of thing, but I loved your review.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

From your review, it appears that this book has a lot of interesting characters. I'm not to sure whether this book is for me though. Thank for your thorough review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

It sounds very diverse and romantic. The errors would bother me though. Great review.
J_D_Allen
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by J_D_Allen »

I am interested in this storyline. I read Wilbur Smith and I was fascinated by the African culture. I will hope there will be sequels. Thanks for your generous review.
MagensWife1995
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magenswife1995.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by MagensWife1995 »

This is a great concept for a story. I'm not sure if I would have the time to read it, but if I don't have anything else to read I will give this one a go.
Onyi25
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Onyi25 »

This book is trying to teach us one particular thing, "FREEDOM "until he escaped, he didn't discover his hidden talents.But as much as the father is concerned, he should look for his son.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

I love a book with twist and turns. This will sure be an interesting read.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”