Official Review: Good Night Elizabeth by Donald W Bennett

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: Good Night Elizabeth by Donald W Bennett

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Good Night Elizabeth" by Donald W Bennett.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Good Night Elizabeth by D.W. Bennett is a love story that revolves around Donald Armstrong a.k.a Don and the six women that loved him. Even though the story starts by saying that he was loved by four women, I think that his sister, Patricia, and his dog, Ginger, should have been added to the list alongside his mother, his wife of 34 years, Elizabeth, Elizabeth's close friend, Clare, and finally, Ann. Don tells his story in the first person, starting with how he met the love of his life, Elizabeth, at the age of 28. He talks about how his siblings, especially Patricia, would tease him about not being married by then. He always believed and told them that he would meet the lady of his dreams through fate, and when he met Elizabeth, he knew instantly that she was it. Don takes us on a journey through the events that led to meeting the other women in the story, and how his love for Elizabeth fared in the face of temptation and rough times.

Picking up this book, I expected a lot of emotions and twists. I also hoped it would be a little bit steamy. My hopes for a steamy story weren't fulfilled but I'm pleased with the overall content of the book. Good Night Elizabeth doesn't consist of chapters. This is my first time reading a book like this, and it felt a bit weird and all over the place at times. However, it helped me finish the book quicker than I expected.

The main thing I liked about this book was how likeable the characters were, especially Elizabeth and Clare. Their dialogues were always hilarious to read. I also enjoyed how Don expressed his feelings about advances from females towards him. I would have enjoyed it more if there was a male character in the story that was interested in Elizabeth, just to know how Don would have handled that sort of competition. I really liked how the story advanced to the dark days for Don and Elizabeth. How supportive they were of each other and Elizabeth's humour were the highlights of this part of the story.

The writing in this book is technically satisfactory. However, the editing is poor. Wrong words, missed commas, and run-on sentences were present throughout the book. For example, the author uses the word "presents" in place of "presence" a lot of the time. The errors really slowed my reading down.

Overall, I enjoyed reading Good Night Elizabeth. The story was really captivating especially towards the end. The book also impacted me emotionally. I found it interesting that the book didn't have any chapters, but I think that chapters would have helped organize the book better. I would recommend this book to lovers of romance stories. However, those that like sex scenes to accompany romance will be disappointed. The book is suitable for a younger audience. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I had fun reading Good Night Elizabeth, but 1 star had to be taken off for poor editing.

Good Night Elizabeth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the editing, but this book sounds intriguing and fairly unique. Without the steamy parts, it might be something I would enjoy. I don't know, though, because I still don't usually read romance. It sounds like Don is not without love in his life, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I am glad there was nothing steamy in this. I wonder what you mean, by the book consisted of chapters though - were the different progressions to the story separated by chapters that had nothing to do with each other - for example, a chapter on Elizabeth, followed by a chapter on another girl, followed by a chapter on yet another girl..and then full circle back to a chapter on Elizabeth?
I mean, most books I read are segmented into chapters, if not they would be a continuous flowing story for hundreds of pages at times and that is just no fun for the most part.

Otherwise, a great review. Thanks for sharing.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Jaime Lync wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 13:26 I am glad there was nothing steamy in this. I wonder what you mean, by the book consisted of chapters though - were the different progressions to the story separated by chapters that had nothing to do with each other - for example, a chapter on Elizabeth, followed by a chapter on another girl, followed by a chapter on yet another girl..and then full circle back to a chapter on Elizabeth?
I mean, most books I read are segmented into chapters, if not they would be a continuous flowing story for hundreds of pages at times and that is just no fun for the most part.

The book literally doesn't have chapters. It just flows continuously until the end. It felt really weird reading it.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

prospero360 wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 13:39
Jaime Lync wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 13:26 I am glad there was nothing steamy in this. I wonder what you mean, by the book consisted of chapters though - were the different progressions to the story separated by chapters that had nothing to do with each other - for example, a chapter on Elizabeth, followed by a chapter on another girl, followed by a chapter on yet another girl..and then full circle back to a chapter on Elizabeth?

The book literally doesn't have chapters. It just flows continuously until the end. It felt really weird reading it.

Ah, sorry, I just read that part over and realized what you said. Sorry. I read a book like that once. It was not nice. I applaud you for reading the whole thing.
tam_akangbou
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tam_akangbou »

Sounds like a really interesting romance novel. It’s weird that it doesn’t have any chapters, I don’t how it’ll feel reading it that way. Maybe I’ll divide it into chapters myself.
Rhenzein19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Rhenzein19 »

Yeah.. it is weird that the book has no chapters. It would make better to read if it has chapters and with title to make readers more enthusiast to read about each chapters.
Nelson Reviews
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-reviews.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Reviews »

This book is oddly authored; no chapters nor section. But the plots embedded in it sounds interesting. Love stories are always awesome. I can't wait to flip the pages of this book. Thanks for the Review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”