Official Review: Cowboy Dreams by Patricia L. Powell

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samanthajayne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthajayne12.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Cowboy Dreams by Patricia L. Powell

Post by Samanthajayne12 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cowboy Dreams" by Patricia L. Powell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cowboy Dreams is a romance novel written by Patricia L. Powell. Tricia Perkins has been waiting for the man of her dreams her whole life. As she struggles with the daily challenges of Aspergers Syndrome, she’s never had a boyfriend and has never even been kissed before. Is it too good to be true when she finally meets her perfect man?

Tricia and her best friend Kate have grown up together in Newport Bay, spending as much time together as possible to escape the reality of their parents and lonely childhoods.

Clay Gibson is the hottest, upcoming NASCAR star from North Carolina, and has just had his heartbroken by his soon-to-be fiancé, who was cheating on him behind his back with Logan, his best friend and fellow driver.

Their two worlds collide as they come face to face during a night out at a new club opening, and from that moment on, their lives have changed forever.

Tricia can’t quite believe that Clay is as truthful and honest about his feelings as he claims. Will Tricia allow herself to open her heart to her first ever romance? Or will Clay’s fame and fortune be too much for her too handle?

As much as I usually love a good romance novel, I found this one very repetitive and quite slow overall. The majority of the story is finding out whether Tricia will say yes or no to letting Clay take her on a date. There is a lot of repetition of names that isn’t needed and I found it a little bit annoying after a while. For example, Clay and Tricia would always use each other’s names when directly speaking to one another.

About a quarter of the way through the book, we learn about a plot, organised by some jealous rivals to ruin Clay’s career. I expected a lot more to happen from this storyline and was left a little disappointed. The author could have used this to add a little extra tension and suspense which, in my opinion would have helped to hook the reader a little more throughout the story. The main action is found literally within the last few pages.

Although I found the book overall a little slow, the romances all happened very quickly and over just a couple of months. I sometimes felt that the author was trying a little too hard with the speech and adding extra emphasis on the colloquialisms to show the particular dialects for each character. However, I understand that this may just be my point of view, as I wouldn’t use these particular words within my own speech, and so they seem a little out of place. On two occasions I noticed that the scenes jumped quickly from one thing to another. This wasn’t particularly distracting or confusing, but just very sudden.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It was well written and seemed to be professionally edited as I found no errors. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a sweet, simple romance. As someone like me, who likes a little more action and drama involved then this book probably isn’t for you!

Cowboy Dreams
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Samanthajayne12's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Cowboys and NASCAR I am in! Great review! The slow pace of the book might be annoying but I will give it a try.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

I also get very frustrated when the main characters keep beating around the bush in a romance story I'd probabaly not finish reading the book.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

this is the story between Clay and Tricia has been reviewed greatly by the reviewer. I hope for the best for both of them and it can be expected to see them together after a while in the next time.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”