Official Review: A Song In Time by Ashley Robert

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: A Song In Time by Ashley Robert

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Song In Time" by Ashley Robert.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heather did not know where her children were. It was time to pick them up from school, but she had no idea which school or schools her children attended. Author Ashley Robert tells the tale of Heather and her wild journey in her work of fiction titled A Song in Time.

Moments before her death, Heather’s grandmother gave her a simple bracelet. Heather placed the bracelet in a box and left it there for thirty years. In a moment of great vulnerability in her forties, Heather decided to take the gold charm bracelet out of the box. She noticed a note from her grandmother in the box. The note said that the bracelet would transport the wearer to a place and time in history based on the music that was playing. The song in the present would match the song that was playing during a time in the wearer’s past. First, Heather played a Louis Armstrong record and traveled back to the day of her grandmother’s death. Next, she traveled back in time to change some of her bad decisions. For the first time in a long time, Heather began to feel optimistic. Heather’s bracelet holds the power to create joy but changing her past just might not create a perfect future.

I love the premise of this story. All of us wonder what our lives would be like if we could change the past. Heather is a very well-developed character. However, I was disappointed that she had no last name. Still, she is just flawed enough to be relatable, and her circumstances make her behavior understandable. This is a story about growth. Each new experience is a valuable lesson for Heather. While I found each of Heather’s relationships to be important, the development of these relationships lacked adequate time and detail. Lasting relationships take time to create, and as a reader, I would have enjoyed reading the details of that creation.

This is a well-written and well-organized novel. I found one minor grammar error, but this error did not cause distractions. The story flowed seamlessly from scene to scene creating a pleasant reading experience. I recommend this book to fiction readers who enjoy coming-of-age stories.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The development of many important relationships was rushed. Nevertheless, I was entertained by Heather’s story from start to finish. This is a story that asks the reader to think about how the past creates the future.

A Song In Time
View: on Bookshelves

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
prhyme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prhyme.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by prhyme »

I am thrilled about travelling through time, but I just feel as if this book is not interesting. Nice review anyway
"Lock up your libraries if you like;but there is no gate,no lock,no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind."
-Virginia Woolf
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

The idea of having a bracelet transport someone through time when hearing a song is cool. I have never read anything like this before. Great review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a very interesting premise. I love that it transports the wearer based on a song that's playing. I'm a bit confused about why Heather doesn't know where her children are, but I'm sure that would be cleared up by reading the book. Thanks so much for such an intriguing review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

The word Time in a title catches my attention as I hope for a time travel story. This is, and I really like the song aspect; it's different from the usual scientific explanations. I like those too but this sounds like a lot of fun.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Thanks for your review! This book sounds like an interesting read-to see how visiting the past affects the future. I'll be adding it to my 'want to read' shelf.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

The book has a novel premise however, underdeveloped characters diminish the book's appeal for me. Thanks for the review!
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

I find time travel very captivating. It's one of the things I like most about this book. I like finding out how it affects the character's future.
ISAAC_AKINTOYE
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ISAAC_AKINTOYE »

It shows how the past affect the future
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

WHat our life will be like if we can change the past. This surely got to me. Thanks for the detailed review
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”