Official Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Official Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly

Post by kemp1kor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Temptation Trials Revolution" by B. Truly.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The destruction caused by World War III has resulted in a new Regime, controlled by World Dictator Lutheran Eminence. Strict laws have been put into place, and many forms of entertainment have been forbidden on the basis of keeping society safe. Tobias and Kincade are members of a secret organization, working to uncover the true goals of the Regime.

One of few forms of entertainment sanctioned by the government, The Temptation Trials is a reality TV show demonstrating the difficulties of love. With mandatory arranged marriages forced onto citizens at the age of twenty-one, this show is the only chance a person has to fight for the right to choose their life partner.

With their time running out, on the verge of turning twenty, Tobias and Cade meet the women of their dreams. They now have a difficult decision ahead of them—cave to the Regime’s agenda or fight for their relationships. When the lines blur between lust and love, who will come out on top?

An addition to the Temptation series, Temptation Trials Revolution is the men’s side of the story. This book may be read before or after Temptation Trials Part I—the women’s side of the story, but at least one of these must be read before Temptation Trials Part II to avoid confusion, as it is a continuation.

Written in the first person perspective, this novel alternates between Tobias’ and Cade’s point-of-view, with clear indicators in between. Broken into two parts, Opposition and The Trials, we first get to witness the boys’ relationships—with Stefani and Cali—developing and then their experiences during the Temptation Trials.

This is basically a dystopian romance, but I may have detected paranormal undertones as well. The occurrences I speak of could possibly be scientific, but that question was not answered in this book. In fact, I had many questions which were never answered, and I’m hoping Part II digs a bit deeper into the makeup of the Regime. I thought there was surprisingly little information given about His Eminence and the ruling party, but that may have been purposely done.

While I had a difficult time with the writing style, I was invested enough in the characters and their story that I really wanted to continue reading. In my opinion, some of the slang used seemed out of place, but then I can’t say for sure what kind of colloquialisms will be popular in the year 2036. Just to give an example, I ran across this gem pretty early on: “Those outbursts really got the throng crunk.” There were many similar sentences, and they always threw me off just a bit. Along with that, the story just didn’t seem to flow smoothly at times, and I kept getting tripped up by the strange descriptive words.

What I really liked was the unique take on a dystopian world, although—having not read many books in this particular genre—I could be alone in that opinion. World dictatorship isn’t a possibility I’ve ever even considered, and the thought that one person could have control over the entire world is a bit horrifying. That His Eminence goes so far as controlling his citizens’ entertainment options and love lives—dishing out harsh punishments to those who rebel—only makes it worse. I found myself wondering what I would be willing to go through to be with the person I love—baring all on international television might just be too much for this introvert.

As far as romance goes, I think the relationships were well-developed for the most part. There were definitely instant attractions, but I appreciated that both of the original relationships were fairly slow-moving in both a physical and emotional sense. Don’t let that fool you—there are some graphic sex scenes depicted along with strong language, so I would recommend this novel only for adults. Love triangles and cheating partners also play a part in this story.

Overall, I decided to give Temptation Trials Revolution 3 out of 4 stars. While it was very entertaining, with many twists thrown in to keep me guessing, the writing style and poor editing were a definite negative for me. There were quite a few instances where the wrong word was used, there was a missing word, or a word was misspelled. I felt that these errors could easily have been corrected before publication.

As I’m still awaiting the outcome of Tobias’ and Cade’s Trials, I’m off to read Part II. For those who like a little suspense with their romance and aren’t too set on a happily ever after, I hope you enjoy!

Temptation Trials Revolution
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kemp1kor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

As a lover of all things dystopian, your review has definitely stirred my interest!! I will absolutely be putting this on my "want to read" shelf! Thanks for the review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:

Post by kemp1kor »

Kelyn wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 22:44 As a lover of all things dystopian, your review has definitely stirred my interest!! I will absolutely be putting this on my "want to read" shelf! Thanks for the review!
It's definitely an interesting take on the dystopian world. I hope you enjoy it!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I figured this was part of that series, but I wasn't sure where it fit in. It's nice that she tells the story from a bit of a different perspective. However, this series really isn't for me. Too explicit. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:

Post by kemp1kor »

kandscreeley wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 14:15 I figured this was part of that series, but I wasn't sure where it fit in. It's nice that she tells the story from a bit of a different perspective. However, this series really isn't for me. Too explicit. Thanks for the review, though.
A lot of times I find myself wondering about the love interest’s thoughts while reading a romance, so I suppose this is one way to fix that! This type of book definitely isn’t for everyone. Thanks for commenting!
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Reading something from a man's POV would be something different for me, but I'm not sure about the errors and the writing style. Loved your review by the way!
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

That's a really unique concept, that the government could be in charge of regulating entertainment and make a game out of someone's choice/ chance at love. I'm always up for a new dystopia.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:

Post by kemp1kor »

Amy+++ wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 11:24 Reading something from a man's POV would be something different for me, but I'm not sure about the errors and the writing style. Loved your review by the way!
I always enjoy seeing the man’s perspective in a romance! The errors were unfortunate, but I’m sure not everyone would have a problem with the writing style. Thank you!
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:

Post by kemp1kor »

Sakilunamermaid wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 16:40 That's a really unique concept, that the government could be in charge of regulating entertainment and make a game out of someone's choice/ chance at love. I'm always up for a new dystopia.
I agree. I hope you enjoy it!
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

A book about world war will sure be interesting. Thanks for the review
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:

Post by kemp1kor »

topdan30 wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 09:58 A book about world war will sure be interesting. Thanks for the review
It’s about the aftermath of World War III, but I hope you’ll give it a try!
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

Wow! Dystopian romance is new fr me but it sounds very interesting. I wouldn't want to be in a world where marriages are forced for entertainment purposes.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I don't think I've ever read anything with this type of plot before, but your review makes me want to read all the books in the series. A dystopian world is something different to me. I think it sounds like this book would be enjoyable and something I wouldn't want to put down so I can find out what happens next.
Mac :techie-reference:
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

As a fan of the hunger games this book and series seems definitely right up my alley. It is an intriguing concept and you summarized the plot points very well.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

I love love love dystopian readings and this one reminds me a lot of the Hunger Games series so it jumps straight on the top of my to-read list!
Berry :wine:

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”