Official Review: Twisted by RA Winter

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Official Review: Twisted by RA Winter

Post by Kendra M Parker »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Twisted" by RA Winter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Werewolves and Vampires at odds in a cursed and dying world form the basis for the plot of RA Winter’s Twisted. In this world, werewolves are mostly males and vampires mostly females. A single witch, Tabitha, holds the key to lifting the curse on the land, but she cannot lift the curse by herself. When a werewolf and vampire appeal to her for help at the same time, Tabitha sees the possible end of the curse. Without warning, she swaps the bodies of the werewolf and vampire and sends them on a quest.

Twisted is definitely not an epic work. At only 72 pages, most readers will likely finish the book in just one or two sittings. Since most novellas leave me feeling a bit underwhelmed, I was pleasantly surprised at how well written this novella is. Often, a novella can feel rushed or superficial, but I finished this one and felt satisfied. Reading and finishing this one was a bit like enjoying a freshly-baked chocolate chip cookie for a snack in the afternoon.

As with most novellas, character development in Twisted does not go terribly deep. Winter managed to provide just enough character development to help me feel like I understood the characters well enough to be invested in their plight. Each of the three main characters showed a character arc that included growth and change before the end of the book. These characters may not be incredibly deep, but they did not feel superficial, either. Winter made a good choice in keeping her main cast small so that she could develop them well enough to satisfy her readers in a short format.

I am also quite impressed with Winter’s ability to narrow her focus to the core theme of the novella. Overcoming prejudice by understanding your enemy acts as the primary theme, and she develops it well with her relatively simple plot and few characters. By avoiding unnecessary details and plot twists, Winter opens the space to explore her theme. Even though Winter does not delve deeply into her theme, she covers it sufficiently to give her novella a purpose.

Readers should know that there is a moderate amount of mature language. There are also some discussions of bodily functions and body parts. Toward the end, the author includes a deftly handled sex scene in the book. Using film standards for ratings, I would give this a PG-13 rating. I felt that this book fits right in with the paranormal romance genre. It provides exactly what I would expect in terms of content, especially when compared to other paranormal romance novellas. While it may be somewhat predictable, the high quality of Winter’s writing makes this book stand out from the other novellas in this genre.

Twisted gets a resounding 4 out of 4 stars from me. Winter’s writing is excellent, focused, and very well edited. I highly recommend this novella to mature readers that enjoy paranormal romances. This is an excellent snack-sized novella, which makes it perfect for a quick break or a lunchtime read.

Twisted
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kendra M Parker's review? Post a comment saying so!
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

I agree with you that I'm generally underwhelmed when it comes to novellas, but this one sounds interesting. Great writing and editing is difficult to find a lot of the time, so I think I'll check this one out. Thanks for the review!
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I typically read novellas to get back into reading after taking breaks. I love a good little paranormal fantasy featuring vampires, werewolves, and witches. Look forward to checking this out and other works by this author.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I love paranormal romance and one with vampires, witches and werewolves sounds like its right up my alley! Although I don't read novella's that often, this one sounds like a good read! I'll have to find a copy somewhere. Thanks for the review!!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This is really twisted. Who would have known that the werewolf is really a woman and the vampire a man? I am not a fan of vampire books and movies anymore but I am still glad that you enjoyed reading this book. The plot is really interesting. Thank you for a delightful review of this book.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I like how you compared the book to a warm chocolate chip cookie. Just the perfect read to fill in a gap of time during the day. And it sounded delicious. Great review, can't wait to read the book.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

This book combines many things I love, fantasy and romance. I can't believe that you can fit a story like that in a novella. I'm intrigued thank you for your review!
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

Warewolf and vampire. Thats a lovely review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Kf7sh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kf7sh »

Thank you for the great review of this book. Looks like a good, short read. I will check it out.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

kemp1kor wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 17:07 I agree with you that I'm generally underwhelmed when it comes to novellas, but this one sounds interesting. Great writing and editing is difficult to find a lot of the time, so I think I'll check this one out. Thanks for the review!
So many novellas can be so shy on details that it is hard to get into them. I was really surprised when this one captured and held my attention for so long!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

Sakilunamermaid wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 19:01 I typically read novellas to get back into reading after taking breaks. I love a good little paranormal fantasy featuring vampires, werewolves, and witches. Look forward to checking this out and other works by this author.
If you like paranormal fantasy, this is a great one to whet your appetite after a break.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

Kelyn wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 22:23 I love paranormal romance and one with vampires, witches and werewolves sounds like its right up my alley! Although I don't read novella's that often, this one sounds like a good read! I'll have to find a copy somewhere. Thanks for the review!!
This one was available on Kindle Ultimate. If you enjoy this sort of thing, it was a great, easy read. I hope you enjoy it!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

crediblereading2 wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 15:49 This is really twisted. Who would have known that the werewolf is really a woman and the vampire a man? I am not a fan of vampire books and movies anymore but I am still glad that you enjoyed reading this book. The plot is really interesting. Thank you for a delightful review of this book.
As I mentioned in the review, it was pretty predictable in the plot department, but that freed up some of the author’s time and allowed the characters to develop a bit more. It wound up working in the end, I think.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

Amy+++ wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 08:19 I like how you compared the book to a warm chocolate chip cookie. Just the perfect read to fill in a gap of time during the day. And it sounded delicious. Great review, can't wait to read the book.
And just like a chocolate chip cookie, it was a bit of a guilty pleasure. :D
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

I love romance stories with supernatural creatures especially when the characters are well build and explained, and that's exactly how you described this one. I'm definitely interested in reading it.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”