Official Review: Lilly Of The Mountains by D. L. Yoder

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Lilly Of The Mountains by D. L. Yoder

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lilly Of The Mountains" by D. L. Yoder.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lilly Perkins has experienced a lot of loss in her young life, most recently the death of her husband. Can she learn to trust again after being betrayed, abandoned, and abused? Set in Colorado in 1940, Lilly of the Mountains by author D.L. Yoder follows a young widow's journey as she makes a fresh start and learns to love again by helping others.

Lilly was still a girl when her dear mother died. Just a month later, unable to find work since the stock market crashed, her father arranged her marriage to Levi Perkins, before returning to the merchant navy. Levi had seized their property for nonpayment, and her father thought he had no choice. Lilly felt heartbroken to also lose her father so soon after her mother's death. Levi turned out to be a cruel husband whose only true love was money. His constant abuse was Lilly's prison for seven years before he died in a car accident. Though he was a wealthy man, he forced his young wife to live like a pauper, taking the whereabouts of his fortune to the grave with him. Matters were further complicated by the angry townspeople who Levi cheated financially. When they began demanding their money, the sheriff warned Lilly she could be in danger. Widowed, frightened, and with just a few dollars to her name, Lilly was all alone, but she was finally free and ready for a new beginning.

The author skillfully crafted well-developed characters with strong personalities. This was particularly evident in the protagonist, Miss Lilly. After seven years of being abused, she had her fill of being submissive and turned over a feisty new leaf. There was the expected romantic relationship, but there was so much more going on behind the scenes that heightened the anticipation of the storyline. I felt simultaneously intrigued by the suspicion of murder, the mystery of Levi's missing money, and all the drama of small-town life during a simpler time.

What I most enjoyed about this book were the consistent themes of forgiveness and trust. Lilly was challenged by both, which was understandable considering what she had experienced in life, but her struggles also made her more relatable. It was when she stepped out of her comfort zone and reached out to help others, that she started healing both emotionally and spiritually, which I also found to be true to life.

What I liked least about the book was the portrayal of one of the characters, Marcel. He was one of a handful of men who occasionally stayed at the missionary chapel in an impoverished area of town where Lilly volunteered. It was her friendship with these men and Reverend Ernest that eventually led to Lilly's restored faith in God, which was a significant element of the plot. However, without revealing any spoilers, there was an important detail related to Marcel's character that I felt wasn't portrayed consistently by some of his actions in the story. There were also a few unresolved details in the plot. I hope that means there will be a sequel.

Evidently, the book was professionally edited, as I didn't note a single error. I'm pleased to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy Christian fiction, historical fiction, and romance novels. I should also note there are a few violent scenes related to the plot but nothing graphic.

Lilly Of The Mountains
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It's great that the author developed the characters well and that Lilly's struggles were relatable. That's so important to me in any book. I'm glad you enjoyed this one, and thank you for sharing!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This book seems to present some strong themes: arranged marriages, abusive husbands, widowed and alone, etc. I was happy to see this book got a 4 out of 4. This one looks like a winner. Thanks for the excellent review!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Hopefully I won't be too mad at the unresolved plot points and the inconsistency of Marcel's character. It's great that the book was professionally edited but because I don't tend to read romance and christian fiction, I think I'll pass on this book. Thank you for your detailed review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

hsimone wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 14:45 It's great that the author developed the characters well and that Lilly's struggles were relatable. That's so important to me in any book. I'm glad you enjoyed this one, and thank you for sharing!
Thank you for your comment. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 19:07 This book seems to present some strong themes: arranged marriages, abusive husbands, widowed and alone, etc. I was happy to see this book got a 4 out of 4. This one looks like a winner. Thanks for the excellent review!
I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Allyseria wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 19:09 Hopefully I won't be too mad at the unresolved plot points and the inconsistency of Marcel's character. It's great that the book was professionally edited but because I don't tend to read romance and christian fiction, I think I'll pass on this book. Thank you for your detailed review!
Thank you for stopping by and for your comment.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Humm, I'm not sure about this one. The 4 stars intrigue me but it sounds like a "Hallmark" movie and I'm forced to watch enough of those at Christmas time. I appreciate your review as it really described the book and your thoughts very well.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

jcoad wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 21:52 Humm, I'm not sure about this one. The 4 stars intrigue me but it sounds like a "Hallmark" movie and I'm forced to watch enough of those at Christmas time. I appreciate your review as it really described the book and your thoughts very well.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
prhyme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prhyme.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by prhyme »

I love these kind of stories which are filled with painful tragedies. Great review!
"Lock up your libraries if you like;but there is no gate,no lock,no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind."
-Virginia Woolf
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

prhyme wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 08:01 I love these kind of stories which are filled with painful tragedies. Great review!
Thank you. :tiphat:
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

It sounds intriguing but I'm not to crazy about the setting. But as long as the plot is good I will give it a chance. Great review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Amy+++ wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 17:32 It sounds intriguing but I'm not to crazy about the setting. But as long as the plot is good I will give it a chance. Great review.
Thanks for your comment, Amy.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

That Levi character gets my goat! I hope Lilly gets her rightful inheritance and finds happiness, with or without a man.

I will remember this book when I need to exercise my lacrimal glands, Cecilia_L! I think I'll say it's worth 4 out of 4 boxes.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Miriam Molina wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 07:07 That Levi character gets my goat! I hope Lilly gets her rightful inheritance and finds happiness, with or without a man.

I will remember this book when I need to exercise my lacrimal glands, Cecilia_L! I think I'll say it's worth 4 out of 4 boxes.
Mine too! Thank you for your comment, Miriam.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”