Review by steehol2 -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
steehol2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steehol2.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Review by steehol2 -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by steehol2 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Amanda is stuck in her many past tragedies and is unwilling to move forward until she rescues a cop, Mark, from a derailed train. With one look, they know that they know each other, but are confused on how. The answers lie in the past, Amanda’s past life. Through past regression therapy Amanda must learn from her past life, Bonnie, experiences so that she can give her budding relationship with Mark a chance.

Yesterday by Sammyann is a historical fiction novel that hurls readers’ back and forth between the present and Amanda’s past life during the Civil War and the Chicago Fire. The narrative has a nice mix of romance, action, mystery, and comedy.

To me, the most impressive aspect of the book was the historical arc. I liked that the author was able to make the mannerisms, politics, practices, and beliefs of the characters in the Civil War Era so believable and relatable to readers. I couldn’t get enough of this arc.

Another aspect I enjoyed was the witty sarcastic remarks made between the characters. For instance, I loved the part about Amanda calling Mary an old fart and Mary’s reaction to it.

However, I wanted to know more of Mark’s past lives. He seemed to have several whereas Amanda only seemed to have the one past life. He also seemed to have a deeper connection with the clock and the bells. Did he make the bells for the church? Which life was it when he died as kid? Was Amanda there in those past lives too? From which bloodline is Mark?
In addition, I was disappointed with the narrative. Some of the transitions from scene to scene didn’t move smoothly and I wondered why one paragraph of a morning scene was put in at all. The scene didn’t have anything to add to the story. Besides transitions being unsmooth there were a few words that made the sentences not run smoothly. I had to reread those sentences a few times to get the comprehension.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I give it 2 stars because I’m a sensitive reader and the level of sexual and language content in the narrative wasn’t to my liking. It is intended for an audience that will watch a rated R film. I was also dissatisfied with the ending, some of the narrative, and I was left wondering about the questions I listed above. I would have given it 3 stars if it didn’t have the sensitive content. I didn’t rate it 1 stars because I am willing to revisit the book, but just skip over the sensitive content.

This book will appeal to those interested in past lives and reincarnation, the Civil War Era, and romance. This book will not appeal to those who aren’t open minded about reincarnation and those who are sensitive readers.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like steehol2's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This sense of knowing someone has happened to me on many occasions. I meet people and their faces seem familiar. At times it ends up that I actually knew them or that they resemble someone I knew. Anyways, I am so sorry about all the raunchy sexual content and thank you for your very honest review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”