Official Review: Love, Lies and Weight Loss by Jax Burrows

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Official Review: Love, Lies and Weight Loss by Jax Burrows

Post by AmySmiles »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love, Lies and Weight Loss" by Jax Burrows.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

All Rosie Hayes wanted was to be loved. She didn’t want to be standing in front of the gym thinking about running, or eating right, or losing weight. She wasn’t good enough according to her boyfriend Phil; he didn’t find her attractive anymore. She had put on some weight, but she never thought she would hear those words from the man she loved. Determined, and with a goal in mind, she found herself standing there dreading the idea of everything she would have to do to lose the weight, fit in that dress for her friend’s wedding, and win the love of her life back.

Jake Matthias, the owner of the gym, was there checking on the equipment. The previous owner had let things decline, and they were not quite up to Jake’s standards. While informing the girl working at the front desk about the equipment that needed signs placed on them for repair or removal, she approached him about a problem. There were not enough trainers because of a sickness going around, and no one was available to help Rosie who asked for the services of a personal trainer. Jake reluctantly takes on the task for the evening.

Falling in love, getting married, and having a family has never been part of Jake’s plan. Rosie just wanted to lose the weight, look great at her friend’s wedding, and get her boyfriend back. Will she be able to accomplish this goal? Will Jake’s instant attraction to Rosie find him wanting a little more? Read Love, Lies and Weight Loss by Jax Burrows for yourself and find out.

This romance novel was the perfect light read that held my interest right up to the very end. Jax Burrows did an excellent job with character development in this lovely book. I found myself rooting for Rosie to lose the weight that she wanted, but hoping she would make the right decision in the end for herself. I think most people would find the characters easy to relate to and enjoy reading about Rosie, Jake, and their friends. There is so much more to this story, but I don’t want to give too much away; you'll just have to pick this one up and find out for yourself. The story was easy to follow, and introduced just the right amount of characters to keep it interesting, but not too many that it got confusing.

My only note of criticism towards the book is the grammatical errors and the lackadaisical writing style. I found several grammatical errors, most relating to missing words, misspelled words, and improper use of punctuation. The author’s writing style, while easy to understand, was a bit too relaxed for a novel in my opinion. Dashes were often used in place of commas, but not in every circumstance. I would have thought it best to stick with one style rather than using both. Periods were used after one or two words to make a point stand out where it should just be written out into one whole sentence. The book is also written in British English, so instead of using double quotes for quotations like American English, it used single quotes. While this is not a grammatical error, it was hard for me to get used to.

I would love to offer a 4-star rating for this book, but due to the grammatical errors noted above, I have to rate Love, Lies and Weight Loss 3 out of 4 stars. A good editorial review and revision would increase the rating to a perfect score. Fans of young adult romance, and anyone interested in a light and easy romantic read, will certainly enjoy Rosie and Jake’s story.

Love, Lies and Weight Loss
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AmySmiles's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This seems like a very sweet book. I hope Rosie got the love she deserved in the end :)

Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I could use a light romantic read. Thanks for the engaging and enlightening review, AmySmiles. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I already dislike Phil, who sounds shallow and hope that if Rosie loses weight, she does it for the right reasons -- not to please him. This sounds like a book I would enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation!
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

This sounds like a fun romance to read. I like books that are easy to get into. I believe I would enjoy this book based on the review and am interested in seeing what happens between Rosie and Jake.
Mac :techie-reference:
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

This sounds like a relaxing read for someone who likes romance and love novels. I, especially, like the characters and their individual roles in this tale. I am sensing that this is about finding self-love in the process of trying to impress Phil, who already seems like a very shallow person. I like how the author is trying to present a larger picture through the eyes of characters. I am expecting a deeper meaning behind the story. I am going to add this to my 'want to read' shelf. Thanks for the review. :tiphat:
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I want to read this. I'll get past the errors and so on but I definitely want to read this romance. Great review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder

Post by AmySmiles »

Bianka Walter wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 08:14 This seems like a very sweet book. I hope Rosie got the love she deserved in the end :)

Great review!
Thanks for reading.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 09:39 I could use a light romantic read. Thanks for the engaging and enlightening review, AmySmiles. :tiphat:
Thank you!
–Author Unknown
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

Cecilia_L wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 10:15 I already dislike Phil, who sounds shallow and hope that if Rosie loses weight, she does it for the right reasons -- not to please him. This sounds like a book I would enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation!
I think you will like it, thanks for commenting.
–Author Unknown
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

mac83 wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 14:02 This sounds like a fun romance to read. I like books that are easy to get into. I believe I would enjoy this book based on the review and am interested in seeing what happens between Rosie and Jake.
It is, hope you like it. Thanks for stopping by.
–Author Unknown
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

Random reader wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 17:43 This sounds like a relaxing read for someone who likes romance and love novels. I, especially, like the characters and their individual roles in this tale. I am sensing that this is about finding self-love in the process of trying to impress Phil, who already seems like a very shallow person. I like how the author is trying to present a larger picture through the eyes of characters. I am expecting a deeper meaning behind the story. I am going to add this to my 'want to read' shelf. Thanks for the review. :tiphat:
Thanks for stopping by I hope you enjoy it.
–Author Unknown
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

JR Mercier wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 04:01 I want to read this. I'll get past the errors and so on but I definitely want to read this romance. Great review.
The errors aren't extreme. I think you will enjoy it. Thanks for commenting.
–Author Unknown
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Oh, I love romance books. Reading your review made me wanna read the whole story as soon as possible. It made me wonder if Rosie had achieved the body she aimed and won her ex-boyfriend back or chose Jake over him. Thanks for the great review.
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

Dolor wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 05:18 Oh, I love romance books. Reading your review made me wanna read the whole story as soon as possible. It made me wonder if Rosie had achieved the body she aimed and won her ex-boyfriend back or chose Jake over him. Thanks for the great review.
Hope you enjoy it, thanks for the comment.
–Author Unknown

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”