Official Review: The Duck Springs Affair

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: The Duck Springs Affair

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Duck Springs Affair" by John Isaac Jones.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you are in need of a charming, quick book to read on a rainy day - look no further. The Duck Springs Affair is precisely that. The book follows the story of Cassie and Paul, two completely different people driven together by mutual fascination. Cassie is an emotionally neglected farmer’s wife who longs to find a connection with someone. Her husband, Austin, has a demanding career which forces him to leave her for extended periods of time to look after their farm alone.

Enter Paul, a handsome, sensitive stranger who has worldly experience that Cassie has never known. She has been a farmgirl her whole life, and her only skill is canning peaches. So, when Paul arrives in Duck Springs with his construction crew to build a highway, she is immediately captivated by him. He, conversely, is drawn to Cassie from the moment he speaks to her. The two begin a romance which could have disastrous consequences for them both. Will love find a way?

This is a simple story with charming characters and a pleasant setting. I am not going to try and make this book something which it could never have been. It couldn’t have been an intricate romance with many facets and characters. With only 114 pages, it rules out certain development as far as a story is concerned. That didn’t take away from how much I ended up enjoying the book.

Paul and Cassie’s characters are very well fleshed out. The author, John Isaac Jones, goes into complex detail about the two leads which allows the reader to identify with them straight away. Because there is a severe lack of second-string cast, Cassie and Paul’s development is a necessity. Jones describes Paul’s emotional conflicts and Cassie’s loneliness so accurately that I couldn’t help but empathise with them.

I do feel that a few things in the book are a bit repetitive. A lot of the intimate scenes between Cassie and Paul are described in the same way. The phrase “thrusting their bodies together” is used numerous times, and it shows a lack of imagination. Not only does Jones fail in his descriptions of the sex scenes, but in the dialogue as well. There are repeated conversations and thoughts throughout the book. Cassie even has two journal entries, dated almost two years apart, which are virtually identical.

There were enough grammatical errors in the book to prevent me from giving it a four-star review. The errors, however, were not copious and did not detract in any way from the book. They were simple mistakes mostly in the form of missing hyphens and missing words. “Home school” and “rear view mirror” are two examples of the lack of a hyphen. Again, very minor mistakes which could easily be overlooked. After thinking about it, I decided that 3 out of 4 stars was a fair evaluation based on the book as a whole. As sweet as it was, The Duck Springs Affair was not an overly memorable or unique book. I enjoyed it, but I didn’t think it was quite as distinct as it could have been.

Lovers of romance will enjoy this quick read, and I would especially recommend it to fans of The Bridges of Madison County. There are a few sex scenes, but nothing too perverse. Cassie and Paul’s love is refreshing, and as someone who doesn’t actively read romances, I thought this one was great.

The Duck Springs Affair
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bianka Walter's review? Post a comment saying so!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Sounds like the two main characters were well-developed in this romance, but I would struggle with the repetitive content in the love scenes and dialogue, especially with a story of only 114 pages! Thanks for your detailed review.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

The moment I started reading your review, The Bridges of Madison County popped into my mind. As much as I love this movie, I am not sure I am willing to go into the repetition and typos of the book. Thank you so much Bianka for the honest and engaging review.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

joshfee77 wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 00:21 Sounds like the two main characters were well-developed in this romance, but I would struggle with the repetitive content in the love scenes and dialogue, especially with a story of only 114 pages! Thanks for your detailed review.
Ya, it was well done to have the characters so well developed in such a short book, but a bit sad that he couldnt put the same effort into his storytelling.
Thanks for commenting 😊
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 01:44 The moment I started reading your review, The Bridges of Madison County popped into my mind. As much as I love this movie, I am not sure I am willing to go into the repetition and typos of the book. Thank you so much Bianka for the honest and engaging review.
I think as soon as an affair is mentioned, I will always think of Bridges of Madison County :)
Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!
- Dr. Seuss
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This is a simple story with charming characters and a pleasant setting. I am not going to try and make this book something which it could never have been. It couldn’t have been an intricate romance with many facets and characters. With only 114 pages, it rules out certain development as far as a story is concerned. That didn’t take away from how much I ended up enjoying the book.
On occasion, I enjoy a light read as you've described here. Thanks for the recommendation and for your excellent review.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I love short romance novels that you can curl up with on a rainy day. A short cast of characters is always refreshing to me, as I'm easily distracted when authors try to throw too many people into the mix. Thanks for the great review. I'm adding this to my list, now all I need is a rainy day.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Cecilia_L wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 13:10
On occasion, I enjoy a light read as you've described here. Thanks for the recommendation and for your excellent review.
It is definitely something you can finish in one sitting. And it super simple :)
Thanks so much for the comment!
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

AmySmiles wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 15:08 I love short romance novels that you can curl up with on a rainy day. A short cast of characters is always refreshing to me, as I'm easily distracted when authors try to throw too many people into the mix. Thanks for the great review. I'm adding this to my list, now all I need is a rainy day.
Or a beach day ;)
It is so simple, you kind of have to switch your mind off and go with it.
Thanks for the comments, Amy!
- Dr. Seuss
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I love romance novels, but in this story, Cassie is a married woman. I feel her loneliness and longing for company, though. I have no idea about Paul's emotional conflicts. The author could've played the readers' minds on the sex scenes by not repeating the descriptions and throwing in more romantic moves.

Thanks for the great review
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Excellent review again, Bianka! I always love reading your book. This book sounds very interesting, I especially love that there are few characters. I've been reading about too many characters recently.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

It sounds good. I will consider reading it. Plus I am a country girl myself, so I will enjoy this book. Great review.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Dolor wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 08:30 I love romance novels, but in this story, Cassie is a married woman. I feel her loneliness and longing for company, though. I have no idea about Paul's emotional conflicts. The author could've played the readers' minds on the sex scenes by not repeating the descriptions and throwing in more romantic moves.

Thanks for the great review
Yes, I wasn't too keen on the fact that Cassie was married. Affairs don't sit well with me.
Thanks for the comments!
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Fuzaila wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 08:30 Excellent review again, Bianka! I always love reading your book. This book sounds very interesting, I especially love that there are few characters. I've been reading about too many characters recently.
I know, simple is sometimes the way forward :)
Thanks so much for the comments, Fuzaila!
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Amy+++ wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 15:40 It sounds good. I will consider reading it. Plus I am a country girl myself, so I will enjoy this book. Great review.
If you are a country girl, then I say go for it :)
Thanks for stopping by!
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”