Official Review: More Heavens Than One by Jennie Linnane

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: More Heavens Than One by Jennie Linnane

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "More Heavens Than One" by Jennie Linnane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Love can be complicated when a woman sets her sights on a man who is considered off limits. In her romance novel, More Heavens Than One, Jennie Linnane writes about forbidden affection and how settling for a less than desirable alternative can only be masked over for so long until true emotions come spilling out.

Jancy Steinmetz and her parents, Liz and Frank, along with her younger brothers Luke and Jimmy, leave city living behind to make a home with extended family on a farm set in the vast plains of Austrailia. They take up residence with Grandma Rose, Papa Joseph, and Uncle Rudy. Wildlife abounds, and new ways of surviving are encountered as it seems the weather is in charge with its treacherous downpours that quickly turn to floods or the scorching hot sun with its heat creating fires that blaze and destroy the hard work of men and women in seconds.

For Jancy, who is eleven at the time of the onset of the story, transitions are occurring in her life. She is on the verge of young womanhood where she notices slight physical changes beginning along with self-conscious feelings about the freckles inherited from her mother, Liz. Her eyes are starting to open to how life is created and how it can be snatched away so quickly without warning. She questions the traditions of her family and the strict lessons of the Catholic church. Her spirited attitude clashes with Grandma Rose's sensibilities on more than one occasion.

While this may all sound serious, there are multiple scenes of humor as Liz tries to control her children with Grandma looking on. Many times, both women end up laughing after all the turmoil has passed. There are poignant moments such as when Papa comforts Jancy with warmness when her life seems to be out of sorts. Her parents have an abundance of patience as she doesn't always conduct herself in the way that they would expect from their daughter. Even when there are arguments, they seem to dissipate quickly as the foundation of this family is constructed upon a strong allegiance.

The author writes all of this with eloquence and grace. I found myself in awe of her word choices, and just as this book touches on the subject of farming, she plants ideas and lets them sit with the reader for a while, but you know that eventually, they will manifest. This keeps the story moving forward with its short chapters and compelling characters. The audience is invited in to watch Jancy mature into a woman while she learns life lessons from her Papa Joseph and her dad Frank. Uncle Rudy is somewhat of a mystery to her as he is younger than her father but still lives off and on at the farm to help. Women throw themselves at him, but he never commits to any of them. She is blessed to be growing up surrounded by a loving family that genuinely care for the well being of each other. However, there is a subtle undercurrent that many will find unnerving and won't be able to disengage from for the entire length of the story.

I read the author's book Ironbark Hill and found myself captivated once again by her ability to weave a story that is difficult to put aside. The themes and conversations between characters linger long after the reader has turned in for the night, and often I found myself wondering how this tale would reach its conclusion. For readers who are inclined toward romance novels, you will enjoy this book as it brings to the forefront the heartbreak side of passion. I am not a romance novel fan. But, when I saw who the author was, I decided to expand my horizons because of the other book I had previously enjoyed. I liked how she skillfully left all intimate scenes up to the reader's imagination without becoming graphic and let the strength of the plot lead the way. So, even for those who would shy away from a genre of this nature, I would say to give it a try because it may not be what you think it is.

This book seemed to be carefully edited, and the errors I found were minor. For its impeccable writing and ability to touch a reader's emotions, I am rating this a 4 out of 4 stars.

More Heavens Than One
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
Everything happens for a reason...
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Sounds like a very clean and enjoyable romance novel. Thanks for the great review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I'm not much of a romance fan either, but this one sounds absolutely wonderful. I love that the themes had you thinking long after you put the book down. That's the sign of a good novel to me. Thanks so much for your review. I guess this is another one that's going to have to go on my list.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Sounds good. I will consider reading it only because it takes place in Australia.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

The book sounds amazing and very touching, of course, on the issues of forbidden affection. I would have a great time reading it. Thanks for the review, it was nice reading it.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

AmySmiles wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 09:15 Sounds like a very clean and enjoyable romance novel. Thanks for the great review!
Refreshingly so! It was a good one for sure. Thank you for reading my review. I appreciate it.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

kandscreeley wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 09:52 Wow! I'm not much of a romance fan either, but this one sounds absolutely wonderful. I love that the themes had you thinking long after you put the book down. That's the sign of a good novel to me. Thanks so much for your review. I guess this is another one that's going to have to go on my list.
I knew it would probably be good since I enjoyed her other book. She is talented! Hope you find time for it. Thanks for reading my review. I appreciate it.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Amy+++ wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 10:34 Sounds good. I will consider reading it only because it takes place in Australia.
Her description of the land and surroundings is beautifully done. Makes me want to go! Thanks for reading my review. I appreciate it.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

mtsnel006 wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 16:04 The book sounds amazing and very touching, of course, on the issues of forbidden affection. I would have a great time reading it. Thanks for the review, it was nice reading it.
Yes, there are many themes to this book, but they all intertwine to make for a wonderful reading experience. Thank you for reading my review. I appreciate it.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I am not one for this genre, but when I saw the author's name I knew this book would be interesting. I loved her writing style in Ironbark Hill. She seems to have a penchant for unorthodox relationships. Thanks for your review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Your lovely description of this book has piqued my interest. I especially appreciate the positive portrayal of family relationships. Thanks for the recommendation!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love this sentence - " just as this book touches on the subject of farming, she plants ideas and lets them sit with the reader for a while, but you know that eventually, they will manifest." Excellent review.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

I love a nice romance, especially when well written, bonus point if set in Australia! I like that it seems to gravitate a lot around the family life and, well, the author is already a guarantee of an excellent reading.
Berry :wine:
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

melissy370 wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 18:59 I am not one for this genre, but when I saw the author's name I knew this book would be interesting. I loved her writing style in Ironbark Hill. She seems to have a penchant for unorthodox relationships. Thanks for your review.
Yes, she does and this story does not disappoint in that arena! Thanks for reading my review! 😊
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 19:41 Your lovely description of this book has piqued my interest. I especially appreciate the positive portrayal of family relationships. Thanks for the recommendation!
It was a good one! This author has a way with words like no other! Thanks for reading my review. 😊

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”