Official Review: A World Without Sickle Cell

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: A World Without Sickle Cell

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A World Without Sickle Cell" by Peace Adetoro.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A World Without Sickle Cell is a romance novel by Peace Adetoro. The aim of the book is to raise awareness about sickle cell anaemia and bust the myths surrounding it.

Lola is a talented dressmaker who has had more than her fair share of grief. She has lost her father, her first baby, and now her husband. She believes she is cursed. Will she ever be able to lead a normal life, to find love, and have healthy children of her own? She is a sickle cell carrier. That presents a heavy challenge for her as it will sway all her future decisions about love and marriage. She receives the job offer of a lifetime in London. What does the future hold for her? Read to find out!

The book appears to have no real plot. The events and circumstances that the characters find themselves in were engineered to give the author an opportunity to present the effects of sickle cell anaemia. Instead of having one solid plot, the book has subplots and covers many years. We are first introduced to Lola right after highschool and follow her dramatic life as she moves from young adulthood to motherhood years later.

The book covers her relationships with various men. We see the heartrending choices she must make in an effort to prevent her children from having sickle cell anaemia. These scenes were informative, whilst retaining their dramatic flare. They highlighted and emphasized the importance of the choices that couples must make before marriage. I felt this was a necessary element since it is true that many couples avoid talking about topics which are viewed as sombre or "kill-joys".

The only part I did not understand was how fast the characters personalities flipped. Take for example one of Lola's love interests, Stefan, he starts out as cold, rude, moody, and erratic. Once in a steady relationship with Lola, he is suddenly the most caring partner on the planet. I understand that the author was trying to convey that he was initially depressed. However, the change in his personality was too sudden and too great.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Although it bares an important message, I can afford it no more. This is due to its lack of a solid plot. Also, it contained a number grammatical errors. I recommend it to romance fans. If you love Nigerian movies, then this book is also for you as it shares the same dramatic flare.

A World Without Sickle Cell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I wanted to read your review because I almost chose this book to review, but am now glad I passed. I now know for certain this book is not for me. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I suppose that embedding the facts about sickle cell in a narrative might make it more interesting, but how unfortunate that there is no definitive plot! Thanks for sharing the information.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for your review. A story without a plot - no, this is not for me.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Thank you for your honest review. Writing about the effects sickle cell on persons should be interesting, however, a romance novel needs a plot.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”