Official Review: The St. Croix Matter

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: The St. Croix Matter

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The St. Croix Matter" by David Allen McCarty.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As its name suggests, David Allen McCarty’s romantic drama, The St. Croix Matter, unfolds on the idyllic Caribbean destination of St. Croix. Set in the 1970’s, the story revolves around a popular club, Balcony, after it faces foreclosure because its owner, Omar, cannot repay the mortgage. When a couple of Omar’s shady acquaintances pop up in St. Croix, a patron suddenly contracts food poisoning at his club. Due to this, an expensive lawsuit lurks on the horizon. Fortunately, Omar’s likable demeanor and his club’s popularity coax Balcony’s staff and their friends into hosting a series of CaribFest parties to help him raise funds. Amid the drama unfurling in Omar’s life, the sweet island music, the laidback Caribbean lifestyle, and a few lazy beach days manage to instigate old and new romances among the club’s staff and customers. Sparks fly, but jealousy also rears its ugly head. The relationships shed new light on the true ambitions of everyone involved. The question is whether or not Omar can save Balcony despite the odds stacked against him.

This story was an eclectic mix of romance, drama, and suspense. It was not a simple romance story about two people. Instead, it flitted among the intertwined love lives of several characters. Undeniably, this bred secrets but gave rise to plot twists and exciting drama. There was also a large element of suspense in the story which was developed through the characters who were plotting against Omar.

One of the best features of the book was that it included the themes of racial divide and social constructs of that era. It highlighted some of the ways mixed-race people viewed their acceptance by other races, not only in the Caribbean but also in America. The story is littered with instances where constructs like beauty and sensual traits were attributed to race. For example, Jada, a mixed-race waitress was described as having white skin, but her partner Kyle credited her sexual endurance to her black lineage. The characters also discussed how mixed-race people were classified during the past slave era, depending on the percentage of African features they were born with.

I enjoyed reading about the rich culture, people, and places of interest in St. Croix. The author mentioned some of the foods eaten there such as souse, callaloo, catfish sandwiches, and johnnycakes. The quintessential Caribbean drink, rum-and-coke, was also a popular drink at Omar’s club. The striking, Caribbean features of the characters such as long dimples, pouty lips, diverse skin tones, and coiffured Afros definitely added to the exoticness of the characters. Examples of Crucian dialogue were also present in the story. Furthermore, one of St. Croix’s remaining reminder of slavery - the Danish slave quarters - was cited in the book as a tourist spot. If I ever visit the island, I would not hesitate to book a tour here as it seems like a good place to learn about the island’s past. Cane Bay was also mentioned as a local hangout site.

In conclusion, I applaud the author for crafting such an insightful premise in an exotic setting. I could not find anything that I disliked. The book was also delightfully error-free, apart from two typos. I am happy to rate The St. Croix Matter 4 out of 4 stars. Romance, drama, and mystery fans will find the story both refreshing and fun.

The St. Croix Matter
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

The exotic setting would be fun to read about! The excellent editing is an added bonus. It sounds like an entertaining read!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Lots of diversity, but I'm not crazy about the 1970's or the Caribbean. Great review though.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I like books that take you to an exotic place and introduce new cultures. The plot doesn't interest me enough though. Thanks for your review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This book blends some of my favorite genres, and I'm adding it to my reading list. I enjoyed your review--thanks for the recommendation!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Excellent review. I love the combination of romance and suspense. This sounds like a fun book especially with all the info about a place I've never been.
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Cecilia_L wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 14:39 This book blends some of my favorite genres, and I'm adding it to my reading list. I enjoyed your review--thanks for the recommendation!
Excellent! Thank you and I hope you enjoy this one

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”